• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If we get a PG in the offseason.

Diesel

Diesel, you have no credibility on this issue. You are SW's number one fan, his excuse machine. You have compared him to the NBA's 2nd all time scorer. You can't see the forest for the trees.

SW is not big enough to play the post. Period. He is a tweener...not athletic enough for forward and too small for center. SW is a role player off the bench that we hope can provide something of value during the real regular season. He is a bigger flop at #5 than Marvin is at #2. Deal with it.

Guest Walter

...winning team much less a contender? It would be a disaster.

He might play Pf for a pretender with a stud at center, but this degree of "meaningless MIGHT" isn't 5th pick worthy.

I simply didn't read your post Diesel. Not the time tonight.

W

• Premium Member

Let's be straight here.

I didn't want Marvin and that was independent of who we didn't get. We didn't need another Sf and especially not one who was not a superstar talent. It's just that simple.

Your statement on Shelden is bad and you know it Yeti... You don't like Shelden because we didn't get Roy or Foye??

What's that got to do with Shelden?

That means that Shelden can be a 20/12 guy next year, and you'll still be pining over who we didn't get??

That's crazy.

bowdown.gif

Shelden can't do anything in the NBA.

The reason? He wasn't the draft pick of choice.

He can't shoot. He can't rebound. He can't block out.

He's too small, short, weak and he's not the right size

to fit in anywhere on any NBA team.

Why is this all true? Because he wasn't the right pick

in the draft. If Atlanta hadn't taken him, he would

have gone undrafted, even in the second round. Couldn't

make first team in the NBA/DL.

Gosh, we all know he played for Duke, of all things.

It's a known fact, if you play for Duke you can't play

in the NBA.

NOW, LET'S BE SERIOUS FOR A MOMENT.

Just because Shelden wasn't your personal favorite draft

pick doesn't mean he can't play.

Just because he played for Duke carries no weight.

Just because he isn't the "ideal" size for any position

doesn't mean he can't play.

Just because he's engaged to a beautiful and talented

Tennessee Vol player who is probably a more gifted player

than he is has nothing to do with him as a player.

I'm a Hawks fan. Shelden is one of our own. Enough said.

judge.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

That means that Shelden can be a 20/12 guy next year, and you'll still be pining over who we didn't get??

That's crazy.

Now THAT'S crazy.

It's MUCH for likely that MW will be a 25/8 guy than SW a 20/12 guy...but frankly neither are remotely likely.

W

Well I think it really depends on what the gameplan will be. If we're going for more of a halfcourt set and need some halfcourt points, you have to go with ZaZa until Shelden's offense in the post improves a bit more. If you're going with small ball, you definitely get Shelden in there.

Two other side notes. 1- it also depends on the matchup available to you at the center position, 2- and it's imperitive that Shelden get bigger/stronger this offseason. As I type, he should be lifting weights.

Shelden can play the 5 in the NBA . . but only if we commit to being a zone team. Man to man, he'll have problems against good post scorers. In a zone, he can definitely play the 5, because he's a smart defensive player in the paint.

The question is, can Shelden keep people honest on the offensive end, if he were to play the 5? That pretty much means that he'd have to consistently knock down that 12 - 15 foot jumper, get 3 - 4 offensive rebounds a game, and occasionally show some post moves to draw fouls.

Playing zone though, means that the Hawks would have to be a very good weak side help defensive team. And our guards would have to be smart about when to double down, and when to play a particular zone on the floor, to be able to get back to shooters in time.

Shelden's best all-around moment as a Hawk, came in that game @ Denver back in December, when we made that great comeback to win the game. He played the passing lanes perfectly in that 4th quarter. Without his steals, deflections, the great jump ball he forced on Carmelo, and the great up and under move he makes to draw the foul on Camby at the end of the game, the Hawks do not win.

If we don't get a big man via the draft or free agency, this may be a moot point anyway. He'll have to play center, at least in a platoon role ( along with ZaZa and Smoove ). Let him play center, and let Smoove roam the paint as his help at the PF spot. If Smoove's man posts him up, and his man is a good post player, run a guard or a forward at him, and let Shelden do what he does best . . secure defensive rebounds.

If both improve their "on the ball" defense, you'll see a big difference in the Hawks on that end of the floor, especially when you combine the defensive abilities of a Speedy Claxton, who can come down and strip post defenders of the ball.

I think he is a 5 who is unfortunately the size of a 4. Still, I think he can give some good minutes at the 5 against most teams. I certainly don't think it will hurt to at least try him there. I never thought Boris Diaw could have success at the PF position but he had a terrific year there last year. Maybe Shelden will surprise us all if he is given a chance at the 5. It can't hurt ot try him there.