• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Fair trade?: Childress to GS for Monta Ellis

HAWKS1986

Monta Ellis seems like he is the odd man out at Golden State with a guard heavy team with Baron, Richardson and others. Ellis would be a perfect fit for this Hawks team who can run the floor, shoot the ball and is decent defensively.

Childress is a decent player and has been called a 'glue guy', but I believe he is definitely expendable. He has long arms and can be disruptive from a defensive standpoint. However, when was the last time he has taken over a game in the final five minutes a game... It seems he shies away from taken responsibilty and even though he isn't Joe Johnson or an emerging Josh Smith, that's an attribute that should be a given from Top 10 picks..

Monta is not afraid to make plays if asked to ..and Ellis being named Most Improved Player validates that..

The following is an analysis of Childress and this is from three years ago..

Quote:

Even with all his physical gifts, Josh never seemed to dominate games at the college level. He doesn’t always seem to have the intensity/aggressiveness on the offensive end that other dominating college players have had. That being said, he was asked to be a team player at Stanford…A tad on the skinny side, Childress would definitely benefit with some added weight…There are also concerns about his foot, which sidelined him for the early parts of this season.

Quote:

Monta Ellis seems like he is the odd man out at Golden State with a guard heavy team with Baron, Richardson and others. Ellis would be a perfect fit for this Hawks team who can run the floor, shoot the ball and is decent defensively.

Childress is a decent player and has been called a 'glue guy', but I believe he is definitely expendable. He has long arms and can be disruptive from a defensive standpoint. However, when was the last time he has taken over a game in the final five minutes a game... It seems he shies away from taken responsibilty and even though he isn't Joe Johnson or an emerging Josh Smith, that's an attribute that should be a given from Top 10 picks..

Monta is not afraid to make plays if asked to ..and Ellis being named Most Improved Player validates that..

The following is an analysis of Childress and this is from three years ago..

Quote:

Even with all his physical gifts, Josh never seemed to dominate games at the college level. He doesn’t always seem to have the intensity/aggressiveness on the offensive end that other dominating college players have had. That being said, he was asked to be a team player at Stanford…A tad on the skinny side, Childress would definitely benefit with some added weight…There are also concerns about his foot, which sidelined him for the early parts of this season.

Fair perhaps but, no.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I'd do it. Monta is VERY young for a Pg. He'll never be a pure one but next to JJ that isn't the only key. SUPER talented. He's Arenas with a year less experience at the same age. If we can get a big in this draft then definitely. If a Pg then I'd also do it and run a 3 guard rotation. Childress is an efficient player, but he's forced to be a BU for us. Monta definitely.

Why would GS want another Sf though? Barnes and Pietrus are a decent tandem.

W

Golden State aren't a conventional team, and Childress would fit in their system.

Ellis may not be a prototypical point guard just like Chauncey Billups or Dwayne Wade; however he coud be avery productive player here in Atlanta..

I rather have an emerging Ellis, than Craig Claxton or an aging Anthonhy Johnson and an injury prone Tyron Lue...

I actually suggested this a while ago as part of a larger trade scenario, so I would be completely for it! Chilldress for a PG makes sense for the team right now.

Monta looks like a young Doc Rivers to me. Rivers was a converted SG when he got to the Hawks. He did a very good job setting up 'Nique and driving to the hole. He later added a jump shot. Monta already has the 3-point shot, but his greatest asset to the team would be his ball handling and penetration skills, which look to be very good from what I have seen of him.

Yes, there is a serious question of whether GS would do a Chills for Monta straight up, but Nelson is an interesting bird so you never know what he would want. I think the Hawks could offer something for Monta, it then depends on if that price is the correct one to pay, e.g. Smoove is too much, but is Marvin*? How about Sheldon plus a swap of first round picks, eg GS' first rounder (do they have a pick this year?) for the pick we got for Harrington?

*I wouldn't do the Marvin for Ellis trade, but I am sure that there are some here that would.

I would never trade Chill for Ellis. Are you guys out of your mind??? banghead.gif

Imagine Chill in Nelson's system and Ellis in Woody's.

That's all you need to know.

I can see Ellis being like Salim, a great off player that can't play D.

He would be scoring 13ppg 4ass on 37% from the field with the Hawks.

Chill on the other hand could easily be what Marion is for the Suns. Chill would be one of their best rebounders and average at least 16.5 with high fg%.

I would expect something like 17p 9r 3a with 50%+ from the field in the first few years and much better numbers down the road like Marion has.

Just goes to show how simply awful a coach Woodson is, if your predictions are true MW. IMO, Ellis is going to be a very good pg for years to come, that is why I would be fine with moving Childress for him. The question is does GS make that trade?

The other question we can ask is Ellis or another young pg, better now and in the near future than what the Hawks can pick up with the Pacers' pick?

For my money, I would rather have a kid that has played in the NBA for a few years, than pick up another youngster from college.

Then the final question is, is Mike Woodson really returning to the Hawks for another season? The reports seem to indicate that he'll be back, but there are some grumblings out there that seem to say that the issue isn't decided.

Quote:

I would never trade Chill for Ellis. Are you guys out of your mind???
banghead.gif

Imagine Chill in Nelson's system and Ellis in Woody's.

That's all you need to know.

I can see Ellis being like Salim, a great off player that can't play D.

He would be scoring 13ppg 4ass on 37% from the field with the Hawks.

Chill on the other hand could easily be what Marion is for the Suns. Chill would be one of their best rebounders and average at least 16.5 with high fg%.

I would expect something like 17p 9r 3a with 50%+ from the field in the first few years and much better numbers down the road like Marion has.

I mean does anyone here doubt that if Salim played 30mpg that he'd be a 20ppg scorer? Now the problem is that he'd avg 3-4 apg at best but in certain offensive systems it could work. Imagine Salim in Golden State's system. He'd avg 30ppg probably, with a couple of 50 point games thrown in for good measure.

Ellis would be fine next to JJ but why would GS do it? I think GS has more of a need for Ellis than Chillz when you consider B Diddy's injury history and the fact that Jax, Barnes and Pietrus are all solid at SF.

All that said, with GS' cap situation, I wonder if #11 for Ellis and Foyle (and his horrible contract) would interest GS? GS is not going to be able to pay Ellis, Barnes, Biedrins AND Pietrus with the other contracts they already have. I HATE the thought of Foyle but I REALLY like Ellis and I like him more than Conley, Law or Critt.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Ellis would be fine next to JJ but why would GS do it? I think GS has more of a need for Ellis than Chillz when you consider B Diddy's injury history and the fact that Jax, Barnes and Pietrus are all solid at SF.

All that said, with GS' cap situation, I wonder if #11 for Ellis and Foyle (and his horrible contract) would interest GS? GS is not going to be able to pay Ellis, Barnes, Biedrins AND Pietrus with the other contracts they already have. I HATE the thought of Foyle but I REALLY like Ellis and I like him more than Conley, Law or Critt.

Foyle's contract is 3 years. A no go for me. But can we even take on that amount of salary without giving in return? We'd have to send somebody out.

I'd be willing to exchange Childress/11 for Pietrus/Ellis.

W

I like Chillz a good bit better than Pietrus but I like Ellis a good bit better than Conley, Law or Crittendon. It is certainly worth considering.

As for Foyle, I'd have to look at the cap numbers but even if we had to send someone out, we have enough guys with reasonable contracts to get a deal done. I certainly would hate to pay Foyle for 3 years at that salary. I thought I read somewhere that GS had a team option for that last year? Maybe not.

Quote:

I'd be willing to exchange Childress/11 for Pietrus/Ellis.

W

Wow this is flat out stupid.

ELLIS IS NOT A PG!!!! HE IS A OG WHO IS A SHOOT FIRST AND SHOOT SECOND.

Childress>>>>Pietrius

Conley/Law/Crittenton>>>> better pg's than Ellis will ever be.

Ellis is a good player, but he can't run a team. He will give you spark of the bench and that's all. I rather take guy like Conley or Critt who are young but are true pg's and played pg their whole career than try to transfer another OG like Salim to play pg for us. If you ever played basketball you would realize if a guy is a scorer and has that mentality he will never pass you the ball, he rather throw up a bad shot and hope it goes in.

Once again we don't need a player who can't run that pg position like Salim and we already have Salim as a spark of the bench. Like Bravo just said, if Salim is used properly he will get you bunch of points on high fg%. If Salim played at Golden State in Ellis place he would be putting up huge numbers.

I am not even sure if i would trade Salim for Ellis.