• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Interesting Stuff on Steve Belkin

KB21

Belkin Hasn't Coughed up Tower Payments

Belkin's Contract in Dispute

Belkin and Italian Architect Butt Heads

This is the guy that some of you want as the owner of the Hawks, and this is how he does business. It seems that every venture he makes meets controversy. He strikes a deal to pay for the garage area for his Tower Project, yet he doesn't want to pay the money it takes to get the site. The guy is in yet another dispute over a contract, and he even ran off the architect that was to design the Tower over "creative differences".

This is how he would run the Hawks, folks. All the stuff you heard about him wanting to run the Hawks on the cheap and turn a profit are true. That's the reason he blocked the Joe Johnson trade. Steve Belkin talks a big talk, but when it comes to ponying up the money, it's obvious that he doesn't walk the walk.

And some of you want to blame Michael Gearon Jr. and Bruce Levensen for the ownership dispute when it is obvious that Steve Belkin is the source of the problems and doesn't deal in good faith when it comes to these deals.

Be sure this has NOT escaped David Stern. He will not tolerate such dealings with his league. Nor do the other owners who have enough money and don't have to put up with such compromised ethics. The time will come that Stern has the chance to weigh in on this, it may take a while, but when he does he'll make his position very clear. And Belkin will not be able to play his legal games with Stern. I look forward to that day.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

This is the guy that some of you want as the owner of the Hawks, and this is how he does business.

What? That he takes time to make decisions and understands every aspect of a project before making a payment? You are ridiculous, those articles even say that the Boston Redevelopment Authority hasn't even finalized the contract thus meaning there are no official payment deadlines. Do you want an owner who will throw a large amount of money into a project when it isn't even finished with negotiations? You have got to be kidding me.

Quote:

The guy is in yet another dispute over a contract, and he even ran off the architect that was to design the Tower over "creative differences".

The creative difference was that Belkin wanted a 48m instead of 42m base, probably because he wants it to be more stable or have more space to generate more money. It sounded like the Italian designer was just being fruity about wanting the building to look "sleek" and a bunch of other non-practical terms.

Quote:

This is how he would run the Hawks, folks. All the stuff you heard about him wanting to run the Hawks on the cheap and turn a profit are true. That's the reason he blocked the Joe Johnson trade. Steve Belkin talks a big talk, but when it comes to ponying up the money, it's obvious that he doesn't walk the walk.

I have no idea how you came up with that conclusion. Because he takes his time on a business deal to make sure he optimizes all of his resources is why he will run the team "on the cheap"?

This is KB21 we're talking about here. He can no longer spew his BK propaganda so he's left with this schtick. I don't like Belkin because he is playing financial hardball with my team but can anyone imagine him, his GM of choice, and his coach of choice being any worse than the ASG, BK, and Woody? I can't.

W

"Do you want an owner who will throw a large amount of money into a project when it isn't even finished with negotiations?"

I wouldnt say our owners now have spent a whole lot of money. basically joe and speedy every one else drafted. they just dont draft well. im sure we have plenty of salary cap room.

Quote:

This is the guy that some of you want as the owner of the Hawks, and this is how he does business. It seems that every venture he makes meets controversy. He strikes a deal to pay for the garage area for his Tower Project, yet he doesn't want to pay the money it takes to get the site. The guy is in yet another dispute over a contract, and he even ran off the architect that was to design the Tower over "creative differences".

And some of you want to blame Michael Gearon Jr. and Bruce Levensen for the ownership dispute when it is obvious that Steve Belkin is the source of the problems and doesn't deal in good faith when it comes to these deals.

Um, aren't Gearon and Levenson the ones that decided to get into bed with Belkin in the first place? Gearon and co. are a bunch of dolts who obviously got conned by Belkin.

I don't want any of them to own the Hawks.

Belkin has to come up with a lot of cash to potentially buy the Hawks and finance his grand real estate deals. He will need to raise a lot of cash just for the Hawks. The question is, does he have guys ready to come in if he wins the lawsuit. Because if he doesn't he could be in trouble.

I wonder of he is using the ASG to extract a ton of money in a large buyout to finance his other local projects.

Quote:

1.Why did these goofs get involved with Steve in the first place? That alone proved they're idiots.

2.AS record hasn't got off to a very good start and doesn't seem like it will get better.

3.You might have a future in politics. You're speading your politics style info out here. However, it doesn't mean a thing. Both sides are sorry options and will fail to make this franchise better.

Stupid owners or cheap owners. Does it really make a difference? Maybe instead of spending so much time telling us why Steve is so bad... Why don't you try and explain why AS is such a great group that will lead the franchise to good things.

You think like a political figure to much in this case.

Stupid or cheap...I do think that probably best describes the dilemma of the Hawks fan. Pick your poison, you want an owner obsessed with controlling spending or do you want ownership that has its head up it arse?

Not sure there can be a happy ending here folks. BTW, the cheap is only alleged...the stupidity is on full display.

if you gotta pick, you pick stupid 100 times out of a 100.

stupid = might not make right decision to make team good but trying

cheap = doesnt even try

look, the spirit messed up on the deadline issue. but stupid for getting belkin in the group? why? what evidence do we have that initially they should have not? he was trying greatly to get a team and they needed another person and they got someone who showed they wanted a team. who could have forsee that ANY owner would do something like Belkin did?

Guest Walter

Quote:

if you gotta pick, you pick stupid 100 times out of a 100.

stupid = might not make right decision to make team good but trying

cheap = doesnt even try

look, the spirit messed up on the deadline issue. but stupid for getting belkin in the group? why? what evidence do we have that initially they should have not? he was trying greatly to get a team and they needed another person and they got someone who showed they wanted a team. who could have forsee that ANY owner would do something like Belkin did?

Guaranteed, Belkin would have insisted we try out SW, Roy, Milsap, whoever. He may be an SOB but he crosses his "t"s. He isn't incompetent.

W

Quote:

Quote:

1.Why did these goofs get involved with Steve in the first place? That alone proved they're idiots.

Stern recommended Belkin to the rest of ASG after he failed to get the new Charlotte team.

Is that a fact? I wondered if he endorsed him? If so . . . he may feel more compunction to support AS.

• Moderators

Quote:

To me you are a shrewd business man when you use leverage and loopholes to try to improve your position. Only idiots believe that anything in business is "fair and square"

Only to a point. Your business ethics and integrity create your reputation in the business community and people that can't be trusted will miss out on a lot of opportunities.

There has to be a balance between being shrewd or hardnosed and creating a reputation for being dishonest.

Quote:

How does Knight stay employed again?

Well it ain't just Billy. How does Isiah Thomas remain employed? How does Billy King? How does Kevin McHale? confused.gif

And that's just for starters. You could compile an entire list of bad to piss-poor general managers in this league. Why that level of incompetence is allowed in the most important front-office position in the NBA- I have absolutely no idea. It's a question seemingly without an answer, but it's truly baffling and borderline incomprehensible.

It's true. The bar is incredibly low in the NBA for GM's. Basketball is the worst run of all sports in a number of ways. Somehow, terrible coaches keep jobs and horrendous GM's keep doing damage. Guys like McHale are still employed.

Thats why building a team isn't that tough because there are plenty of terrible GM's just ready to make a bad move for your benefit. McHale still won't trade Garnett despite going nowhere with him and he could have built a whole new and exciting team with one trade.

The officiating is worse than HS. Not even close to the worst sport in that area. It's an embarrassment.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

How does Knight stay employed again?

Well it ain't just Billy. How does Isiah Thomas remain employed? How does Billy King? How does Kevin McHale? confused.gif

And that's just for starters. You could compile an entire list of bad to piss-poor general managers in this league. Why that level of incompetence is allowed in the most important front-office position in the NBA- I have absolutely no idea. It's a question seemingly without an answer, but it's truly baffling and borderline incomprehensible.

Mchale, King, and Isaiah have nothing on our current situation. WE are probably the reason those guys still have jobs right now. The owners who employ those guys are probably thinking, "We're bad, but at least we're not Atlanta Hawk bad!" It's sad but probably true. crazy.gif

I wish I still had the link to Bill Simmons piece on a fanciful 'Atrocious NBA General Manager's Summit'. It was absolutely priceless, I mean it literally about had me rolling on the floor laughing. He nailed every one of them to the wall, and oh my god it was fricken hilarious. I'm pretty sure you can still find that article in the Sports Guy's archives if you haven't read it yet. Even if you have, it is DEFINITELY worth reading again. wink.gif

He's promised to do a sequel to that, an Atrocious NBA General Manager's Summit Part II. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed on that one, as the first one was just brilliant comedy in its highest form. cool.gif