• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Paul Milsap is just better than Shelden Williams..

TexasPete

After watching him play all year I have come to the conclusion that Milsap is just better than the 5th pick in the draft. He does EVERYTHING better than Shelden...defense, rebounds better, shoots better, better poise under fire, better free throw shooter, you name it.

Now, if Woody had Milsap I will say with 100% certainty that he would of been on the pine all year and not seen the light of day. Because Woody would of looked at Milsap as not ready. He would be playing Woody games, making the kid bide his time until he got a chance.

Jerry Sloan is just one of the best. The difference between Sloan and Woody is as big as the Grand Canyon. If a guy shows in practice, he plays in the games. Period. What sucks as a Hawks fan is that we wasted our 5th pick on another bench guy with limited upside. A 2nd round pick is already proving a better player. But, the ASG just love ole BK...nobody bats 1.000 right?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

Quote:

After watching him play all year I have come to the conclusion that Milsap is just better than the 5th pick in the draft. He does EVERYTHING better than Shelden...defense, rebounds better, shoots better, better poise under fire, better free throw shooter, you name it.

Now, if Woody had Milsap I will say with 100% certainty that he would of been on the pine all year and not seen the light of day. Because Woody would of looked at Milsap as not ready. He would be playing Woody games, making the kid bide his time until he got a chance.

Jerry Sloan is just one of the best. The difference between Sloan and Woody is as big as the Grand Canyon. If a guy shows in practice, he plays in the games. Period. What sucks as a Hawks fan is that we wasted our 5th pick on another bench guy with limited upside. A 2nd round pick is already proving a better player. But, the ASG just love ole BK...nobody bats 1.000 right?

NO doubt about it. Milsap is better. We never tried out ANY of the top Pfs (as if we needed a Pf as much as we needed an NBA-caliber C and a Pg) or top anybody. When you have a 5th pick it should be a firable offense alone, by itself if you CHOOSE to not try a player out and he gets seriously outplayed by not only the players around him but 2nd rders at his position. It's one thing to make a an informed mistake. It's entirely another to choose to be willfully ignorant before making your mistake. Even if BK got "lucky" and drafted Roy "sight unseen" I'd have problems with it. But when you are arrogant and stupid enough to take such risks and the risks don't pay off. Donald Trump should be unceremoniously saying "YOU'RE FIRED"!

W

Guest Walter

...against a good team at full strength...consistently. He's better.

How hard would it have been to find this out in a head to head tryout!?!

W

I disagree that Milsap is better than Shelden. I don't know what games you guys are watching but he has been awful in the playoffs to this point. He is BARELY 6'8 with shoes on and way weaker than Shelden. If anybody has any limited upside its Milsap. He isn't a better FT shooter either than Shelden. He shoots like 67% while Shelden shoots 77% in their first year. He can't man up against any PF or center in the league because he is simply too small and weak. He does rebound well but that is about it. You guys have been crying a river all year that Shelden is too small and weak. And now you act like you would rather have Millsap over Shelden. That is ludicrous! Just watch, Shelden will be the better NBA player than Millsap. Shelden played hurt all year and when he didn't have that shoulder brace on he was putting up double doubles. Remember this draft was overall VERY weak. Just look how the rest of the top 10 selections played this year. Roy was the only one that played good but he was getting 35+ min. a game and we didn't need him since we already has JJ at SG.

Guest Walter

Quote:

And now you act like you would rather have Millsap over Shelden.

Neither were worth a 5th pick. As far as role players go Millsap is better. He's better on a better team against better competition in the playoffs. He's better.

Quote:

Remember this draft was overall VERY weak. Just look how the rest of the top 10 selections played this year.

Yeah, like the obvious pick, R.O.Y. B-Roy. We don't need anything weak like that on our team.

W

And Gilbert Arenas is better than 90% of the people drafted ahead of him. That has nothing to do with whether drafting him was a good idea. Milsap was a second round pick. You don't workout second rounders with first rounders. Shelden had better credentials and was more successful in college. bottom Line.

Guest Walter

Quote:

And Gilbert Arenas is better than 90% of the people drafted ahead of him. That has nothing to do with whether drafting him was a good idea. Milsap was a second round pick. You don't workout second rounders with first rounders. Shelden had better credentials and was more successful in college. bottom Line.

You often work out 1st and 2nd rd players together because often 1st rd players generally don't want to be up against the "best prospects" where they can be shown up. Regardless, YOU WORK THEM OUT AGAINST SEVERAL SOMEBODIES! Of the bigs I would have worked out SW, Milsap, Smith, and Simmons (Pfs) and Sene, SJ, and O'Bryant ©. We had a 5th pick and a high 2nd rd pick. All these guys would have wanted to move up somewhere.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I like how you left off my next two sentences about Roy. Walter we had absolutely no need for ROY!!! So I guess your saying bench JJ? That makes tons of sense

Same as his college coach. They all see him as an NBA Pg. Boy, we don't need that at all. Don't let his 6'6" height fool you. He doesn't quite have the handles yet, but his court vision and passing are NBA-Pg worthy, his talent is star-level, and next to JJ that would be the best backcourt we've had here since Mookie/Smitty in their prime.

But of course, we needed an role-playing undersized Pf who plays like a college center to play NBA center for us.

W

I agree BK should have at least worked Shelden out. No one is denying that Walter. But Shelden is the overall better player between him and Millsap no matter what the numbers say. He is bigger, stronger, and has better defense and offense. Millsap has no jumpshot whatsoever and only scores on put backs or dunks. Shelden has a nice jumpshot and showed he could score in the post when given a chance. It's not his fault Woody didn't play him hardly at all in the middle of the year. Just look at the numbers. When Shelden got 20-25 min. a game he was putting up a double double just about every one.

Roy doesn't even play PG on his own team. Jack is their PG so whats your point? IF he was a PG then he would be playing PG. Especially for the horrible Portland Trailblazers.

Guest Walter

Quote:

But Shelden is the overall better player between him and Millsap no matter what the numbers say.

So the numbers for a player on a better team against better competition (WC) don't mean anything? Bull.

Quote:

He is bigger, stronger, and has better defense and offense.

I don't have the height listing in front of me but SW isn't much if any taller, bigger, and has a shorter standing reach (maybe vert). I don't see the difference between a 5th pick and a 46th pick in these measurements.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Roy doesn't even play PG on his own team. Jack is their PG so whats your point? IF he was a PG then he would be playing PG. Especially for the horrible Portland Trailblazers.

Portland has to play their best players and Jack is one of them but the reason Jack was rumored on the trading block is because of Roy's play.

Next to JJ, Roy would play Pg for us. With a 3rd, waterbug Pg, that trio of guards would be interchangable and unstoppable.

W

You are hilarious! 5pts, 3rb. and .4blk a game in the playoffs has been hardly sensational. Give me a break. So I guess it's Sheldens fault he was drafted by an idiotic GM and stuck behind 3 other forwards already on the team? Look at the numbers dude. He was putting up a double double every game where he got 25+ min. Bottom line.

Millsap is 6'8(more like 6'7) weighs 245lb.

Shelden is 6'9 1/2 and weighs 260lb.

Shelden benched press the most reps out of any rookie at the tryouts = stronger hands down

Millsap is basically a SF with no jumpshot which we CLEARLY didn't need. I agree though he is a serviceable role player in the second round. Shelden was never really given a chance to succeed this year. If you don't understand that then I guess you clowns didn't watch that many Hawks games this year.

Milsap can actually move on the court. He can put the ball on the floor and he has a good mid range jumper.

The point about SW being a better college player is just stupid. Great college players fail in the league all the time. Duke has a track record of busts in the league. At the very least a lot of their players do not reach the hype they had in college.

Milsap was a beast in college. I believe he led the nation in rebounding. He has a motor that SW can only dream about. Sloan would never trade Milsap for SW...NEVER. And since he actually knows what he is doing, unlike around this forsaken franchise, I would take his opinion over BK's or Gutz.

BTW, Gutz, I have seen the Hawks play 1000x more than you have. If SW were any good this lousy team would have played him more. The scrub couldn't even play for the HAWKS!!!

Millsap does not have a good mid range jumper. You must not have seen him play. His shot isn't very good at all. But your right he does have a motor which enables him to get loose rebounds and putbacks on offense.

BTW, I saw every Hawks game last year moron.

Quote:

I like how you left off my next two sentences about Roy. Walter we had absolutely no need for ROY!!! So I guess your saying bench JJ? That makes tons of sense

Well, if Josh Smith is the Hawks starting power forward then how does Sheldon make sense?

For what it is worth, Portland has indicated that Roy will play point guard for them next season.

Hey i'm not saying Shelden was the right pick by any means whatsoever. I just don't like how Pete and Walter continue to bash him for not putting up huge numbers. It's not his fault he was injured most of the year and Woody didn't play him is it? BK is the one who is at fault here.

There is more of a need for a bruising type of player like Shelden than there was for Roy at the time. It sucks we have one of the worst GM's running our team in the NBA.

Where did you read Portland already tabbed Roy as the starting PG next year? Link? I haven't heard or read that anywhere. So what happens to Jack?