• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is JJ even close...

DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

True, we need a true PG.

JJ is not one is exactly right. That experiment lasted all of 2 games before people realized that BK only said that to make the deal go through.

Whenever BK says something about a player's strength, it's a sell job. He's like a General contractor trying to tell a House owner why he needs to replace his old wooden floors. He's going to sell those new floors anyway he can. He'll tell you that those floor can also double as Roller skating rink floors and bowling floors (with the right shoes) and then tell you to imagine your kids playing on the new floors.

That's what I felt when he talked about JJ being a PG...

For had he said SG, somebody would have said "But we have Chillz".

And ex, that's my biggest beef with all of those who are against Law. They've obviously haven't seen him play more than one or two games. Then they get mad when people who have seen Law play, put him over Conley or Javaris.

Like that topic about the guards and centers that walter started. How can he honestly project how high or low Law can go, when he hasn't even seen the guy play more than 1.5 games?

• Premium Member

I believe he is.

I think you have to look at more than just the stats and see the whole picture.

When Law first got to that team, there was nobody there. Nobody who could finish a play.

If you watched this past season in the Big 12, you would have seen Law doing PG stuff well. He draws up plays well. He dishes well. HE finds the open man well. He still didn't have a great cast around... For instance, had he had Oden... DAYUUUMMM...

That's the skinny of it. Conley's team was stacked and it's easy to look good on a good team (that's the theme from yesterday). Law's team was better than the year before, but he was like Chris Paul at Wake playing the role of one man gang....

The concern I have with Conley is I don't think he has the size. I think he's Brevin Knight all over again.

The concern I have with Critt is, I think he's took big for PG. It's hard to be above 6'3" and play PG in THIS League. I told you all several years ago (the Old Heads will remember)... that Big PGs are just a fad.. and so were Europlayers. The game will always go back to what it knows works... For now, that's Speed...

I'm not against Law...yeah, I only saw one of his games...but I'd love to see him come in here and turn the Hawks around.

We need a clutch player. The thread was about JJ's skill at PG - and I admitted it was and old line.

I just wonder if Law is a real PG?

• Premium Member

Come on now. Big PGs were in fashion with Penny Hardaway, Reece Gaines, Jim Jackson, Joseph Forte, Pepe Sanchez and all those guys 6'4 or better who was too short to play SG or felt that they had Magic Johnson like PG skills.

Quote:

The concern I have with Conley is
I don't think he has the size.
I think he's Brevin Knight all over again.

The concern I have with Critt is,
I think he's took big for PG.
It's hard to be above 6'3" and play PG in THIS League

So in other words it's 6'2"-6'3" or bust?

• Premium Member

No. Conley's is listed at 6'1 maybe more like 6'0 and that's a good Height.. But he weighs like 170... and he doesn't appear to have Mookie like Strength... So I don't think it's a very good match.

You can't name any good Pro Pgs that are critt's height can you?

Quote:

But he weighs like 170

Every site i have seen has him listed at 180. Plus he is just a freshman so he is likely to fill out.

We will know exactly how big he is in early june.

Quote:

You can't name any good Pro Pgs that are critt's height can you?

There aren't many pgs, good or bad, that are 6'5" or taller. We don't really know how tall he is but we will find out soon enough.

But given his quickness and athleticism i don't see his size being a negative. I see his decision making as his only real negative and obviously that is a big issue for a pg.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Every site i have seen has him listed at 180. Plus he is just a freshman so he is likely to fill out.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. I doubt he's 180, but if he were, that's still small.. and saying he will fill out... That's the Demarr Johnson story. What is he going to do, go eat with the football players? Getting a basketball player to gain 15 pounds takes about 5 years. And like I said, he doesn't have the strength of a guy like Mookie... or Baron..

I think that by Midseason, Crit will be switched to OG and he will spend the rest of his career being a SG with good ball handling. It's so hard for a tall guy to make it as a PG. Believe me, I was on the Pepe Sanchez, Mardy Collins bandwagon, but the truth is that it's just too hard. The opposing PGs are just too fast and Stern has given them all the advantage.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But given his quickness and athleticism i don't see his size being a negative. I see his decision making as his only real negative and obviously that is a big issue for a pg.

Size is indirectly the problem. For a smaller PG to make it as a starter in the NBA he almost always has to be either lightning-fast or lethal from three. The problem with Crittenton or other guards his size is that they are often labeled as "quick," but that actually means "quick for their size." Guys like TJ Ford, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, et al. are much quicker than most guards the size of Crittenton.

I feel confident in saying that JC will end up being more of a "lead guard," in the same vein as a Dwayne Wade. The problem is that the Hawks already have a top flight "lead guard" who is and will be far superior to JC for many years.

Secondly, (although I've said it several times), I think it's safe to assume that Knight/Woodson will be looking for an "immediate impact" player in this draft. While JC might very well have the most upside of any guard in the draft, the Hawks can't afford to wait on his potential.

That's why I think Acie Law is the most likely pick if the big men are taken as expected.

Quote:

The problem with Crittenton or other guards his size is that they are often labeled as "quick," but that actually means "quick for their size."

That is what the combine is for. People thought Deron wasn't very quick or athletic but the combine showed otherwise.

Quote:

Guys like TJ Ford, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, et al. are much quicker than most guards the size of Crittenton.

Baron, Deron and Kidd are much bigger than those guys and in my view that works in their favor. Just look at the pgs that are still playing and it is obvious that size isn't a negative.