• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Atlanta Hawks vs. The Utah Jazz...

Diesel

I LOVE JJ and he is a terrific player but Boozer has been as good as ANY player in the NBA this post season and he had an MVP caliber regular season.

The primary difference between the Hawks and the Jazz in my opinion is that the Jazz chose to "overpay" for Boozer and Okur and the Hawks chose not to do the same for a big man. I thought we should have went after Okur when he was a FA and I thought we should have taken a gamble on Eddy Curry as well.

Deron Williams is definitely a big part of their success but if we had taken him, I think Utah would still be a playoff team right now.

• Premium Member

I think Boozer is good, but Boozer doesn't create for himself. Boozer is a guy who goes in, finds his spot and waits for some PG to get him the ball. He's not a Brand like Pf who can get the ball in the midcourt, move to his spot and score or spot up and score... Boozer is a guy who needs the teamwork around him.

JJ on the other hand can score without anybody. He's a lead guard. That sometimes is the problem, but that is what he is.

IF you doubt what Deron brings to the team, you need to look again. Without Deron, these guys would have problems scoring.

in one on one situations when the Jazz came here during the regular season. He dunked right in Shelden's face on both occasions and Deron Williams had nothing to do with it. Boozer simply took Shelden one on one and dunked in his face.

As for Boozer not being able to spot up, ask Yao if he can spot up. He was KILLING HOU by spotting up for the jumper about 17 feet from the basket. Yao was hesitant to come all the way out there and Boozer made him pay time after time.

Finally, Boozer not only can score, he is one of the best rebounders in the NBA. If he can stay healthy, I think he and Deron can be the next Stockton and Malone.

We actually match up favorably with Utah. The biggest disparity is clearly the PG position.

TLue vs Deron Williams

Deron Williams is overwhelmingly better and will always be better

Joe Johnson vs Derek Fisher

Joe Johnson is better

Marvin Williams vs AK47

AK 47 is better but Marvin has just as much upside

Josh Smith vs Carlos Boozer

Boozer is better right now but Josh has more upside

Zaza Pachulia vs Mehmet Okur

Okur is better right now but not by as much as one might think

Conclusion: Jazz are better at us at 4 out of 5 positions.

However only one of those 4 positions are they overwhelmingly better than us. And that one position (PG) is the biggest reason (besides coaching) that they are a playoff team and we aren't.

At the other 3 positions (SF, PF, C) we have upside to eventually match them.

The most interesting thing about comparing Atlanta to Utah is not the fact that Atlanta's greatest deficiencies are juxtaposed so starkly by Utah strengths (i.e., Sloan v. Woody; Deron v. Hawks PG mess).

Rather, I think it begs the question of what Atlanta's frontline should look like: Should Atlanta go "big" and Start Smoove at SF, Sheldon at PF and Zaza at C or should they continue playing "small" with Marvin/Chill at SF, Smoove at PF and Zaza at C? Obviously, Smoove/Sheldon/Zaza is more comparably to Kirilenko (i.e., Smoove)/Boozer (i.e., Sheldon)/Okur (i.e., Zaza).

Of course, both Sheldon and Zaza would need to step their games up in an exponential manner for the comparison to even make sense.

• Premium Member

I say Chillz dunk on Yao, KG, and half of the Washington Wizards...

I guess those guys SUCK...

I guess that means that Chillz is the next Jordan.

When you're finished filling the thread with irrelevance, let me know!

I love Smoove but I don't know that it is realistic to EXPECT him to ever average the 21/12/3 that Boozer averaged for the season or the 24/12/3 that Boozer is averaging in the playoffs. Boozer was a top 10 player in the league this year. Boozer was so good in fact that if you gave us Boozer and them Smoove, I think we make the playoffs this year and they would stayed home.

As for Okur and Zaza, that is not close either. Okur is significantly better. Okur would have probably averaged 20 ppg for us.

• Premium Member

The original intent of the thread was not a COMPARISON of the teams, but a comparison of the MOVES...

Notice, Utah was at rock bottom went to the lottery 1 time, missed one playoff, been accused of making bad picks and bad trades and now they are back in the WCF...

We've been in the lottery 3 times, we've had just as bad picks, we've had bigger FAcy acquisitions, but we're fighting for last place...

What's the main difference?

I say coaching and PG..

I think that's where we need to concentrate.

Boozer was in a one on one situation with Shelden TWICE in the same game and Boozer simply overpowered him and dunked in his face. TWICE! Neither Yao nor KG was guarding Chillz, they were trying to give HELP. Boozer looked like Shaq dunking on Hakeem and David Robinson. Right in da' face!

Quote:

I love Smoove but I don't know that it is realistic to EXPECT him to ever average the 21/12/3 that Boozer averaged for the season or the 24/12/3 that Boozer is averaging in the playoffs. Boozer was a top 10 player in the league this year. Boozer was so good in fact that if you gave us Boozer and them Smoove, I think we make the playoffs this year and they would stayed home.

As for Okur and Zaza, that is not close either. Okur is significantly better. Okur would have probably averaged 20 ppg for us.

I think you are insane.

You think Boozer would have taken this team without coaching or a PG to the playoffs? Not to mention without JJ for all those games.

You have to be kidding me.

First of all, Smoove had one of the most efficient seasons in the NBA. It's rated even more efficient than the one of Boozer.

Smoove has potential to be a 20/10/5/3 guy.

You mention the 3 by Boozer, that's 3 APG. Here in Smoove we're talking about a guy who could have in addition to that, 3 BLOCKS per game.

And as great as people make Okur out to be, he's a 13/9 guy that's very perimeter oriented. To say he's leaps and bounds better than Zaza, I don't see how you conclude that.

Zaza at least takes people off the dribble and has somewhat of a post up game. Okur has a very ugly post game.

Quote:

First of all, Smoove had one of the most efficient seasons in the NBA. It's rated even more efficient than the one of Boozer.

What exactly are you talking about? Boozer shot .561 from the field, while Smoove shot .439. Boozer didn't attempt a 3pt. shot this season, which is a good thing to do if you don't make a decent % of them, kind of like Smoove (.250). Boozer has a polished low post game, Smoove does not.