• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Strange but kinda could work...

Charman212002

On my first try at ESPN's trade machine the sim had us selecting Mike Conely Jr. at #3 and Joakim Noah at #11. Kind of the reverse order most of us have been working with. (i.e. a big first and a point at the eleven spot).

Would you be horrified with this situation? Obviously Joakim is skinny as a rail, but if we played up tempo (and if we have Conely directing things we probably SHOULD) it would mask many of Noah's weaknesses (one of which is weakness smile.gif and I think could work. Suns of the East if you will.

I love the idea of a fast breaking team with speed and athleticism at every spot. (no, I'm not B.K. masquerading on the squawk. smile.gif

What do you guys think? It's not ideal (Oden is the instant fix obviously) but to me it's a pretty good consolation prize if we miss out on the top 2.

Over to you all.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't risk the chance of not getting a big early if we get both picks. If we pick big early, Law should be available at 11...(hopefully).

Either way though, If Atlanta gets Lucky and get two picks out of this draft, they have to finally seal the PG and C positions.

well i'm not as down on Noah as many mainly because of the fact that he is intense and i don't feel he could live with himself if he was as bad some people say he will be. IF we have a running team (as we really should), i wouldnt mind that at all....if we're going to have a halfcourt team, he would be of no use to us.

I think you make a very valid point about the downside of his intensity.

On the flipside however: This team really lacks an identity. Joe is great talent but is very quite. The same goes for J Smoove, Marivn, Chillz, Shelden, etc. I think someone like Noah brings the (cliché I know) heart and fire of a champion. His kind of passion is rare and extremely important.

Someone needs to be diving after loose balls and running the court. Noah excels at this. Fire is also contagious. The crowd feeds off it and so do teammates.

Look at the Rodmans, Matt Barnes, and Ben Wallaces of the League, (I'm not nessacarrily comparing their GAME to Noah) these guys lay it all on the line and as a result make their teams better.

All these intangibles aside, 2 picks would give our squad pretty good diversity and depth.

Take a look:

Speed team-

PG:Conely

SG:JJ

SF:Marvin

PF:Smoove

C: Noah

Defense

PG:Speedy

SG: Joe

SF: Chillz or Marvin

PF: Smoove or Shelden

C: Shelden (and if you need 6 fouls ZaZa. smile.gif

Not the beasts of the east to be sure, but not to shabby either.

• Premium Member

I think it's important to remember that Noah is a similar build as Marcus Camby. If he works hard on his game, he could have a similar impact. (Camby is a poor positional defender, FWIW). He's a weird mix of Varejao, Camby, & Diaw. Plus, he excels at those things that Shelden doesn't (athleticism, length).

If Hibbert and Conley are off the board, I could see drafting Noah at #11 because you don't expect an All-Star big at that point. He's a terrific role player in the NBA, IMHO.

Also, it frees you up to trade Wright in a deal for a legit starting PG like Bibby (e.g., Wright/Chill/Lue -for- Bibby). Sign a backup wing like Jarvis Hayes and that's a solid team:

Bibby/Claxton/Salim

JJ/AJ

Marvin/Hayes

Smith/Shelden

Zaza/Noah/Jones

First of all, I'd be absolutely ecstatic if we had two picks in this draft. I'd also be ecstatic if we got either one of these players let alone both.

Joakim Noah is a player that garners a lot of hate and if I wasn't a Gator fan I'd probably find him obnoxious as well, but there is no denying the passion he plays with. The kind of energy he brings with his personality is something that every team could use.

He's also not shabby as a basketball player either. At worst he'll be a more athletic Anderson Varajeo with slightly better D.

But with work on his midrange jumper he could be a 7 foot AK-47

CC (Atlanta): Fill in the blank: The Hawks will NOT take PGs Conley or AC Law in favor of a ______, a 6'9" swing man.

John Hollinger: (2:36 PM ET ) And remember,, you may get TWO 6-9 swingmen out of this draft if the ping pong balls go your way.

Outside of getting one of the top two picks, that is best case scenario as far as I am concerned. The team would still lack a true low post scorer so they would have to pick up the pace a lot to be competitive. Probably not a championship team, but at least competitive.

• Moderators

Quote:

CC (Atlanta): Fill in the blank: The Hawks will NOT take PGs Conley or AC Law in favor of a ______, a 6'9" swing man.

John Hollinger: (2:36 PM ET ) And remember,, you may get TWO 6-9 swingmen out of this draft if the ping pong balls go your way.

Also, Hollinger had some praise for the best player in Hawks history - Bob Pettit.

If Noah had come out last year, he would have been picked first. A lot depends on the psycological assessment. He did not seem a "NBA is my dream" kinda guy. If he wants to achieve on the next level and not just be in the league (see Marvin), he can be a true difference player.

I can't see Noah available at 11, unless the workouts and test pull him down.

Another thing about this "running team" thing. It does not win Championships. Some cannot seem to understand this. Defense wins Championships in ALL Sports.

That said, Noah would look good flying down the court with a "Josh".

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Also, Hollinger had some praise for the best player in Hawks history - Bob Pettit.

He was 6'9"

?? I think I am missing the connection between these two statements.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was 6'9"

?? I think I am missing the connection between these two statements.

IT WAS A JOKE

I have no problem with the joke - I just don't get it. Is it a reference to BK not liking him because he is too tall?

Quote:

If Noah had come out last year, he would have been picked first. A lot depends on the psycological assessment. He did not seem a "NBA is my dream" kinda guy. If he wants to achieve on the next level and not just be in the league (see Marvin), he can be a true difference player.

I can't see Noah available at 11, unless the workouts and test pull him down.

Another thing about this "running team" thing. It does not win Championships. Some cannot seem to understand this. Defense wins Championships in ALL Sports.

That said, Noah would look good flying down the court with a "Josh".

Another misconception is that Noah can't play defense.

I don't think I got that memo.

That common thought is entirely untrue. The guy set a record for blocks in a NCAA tournament and he broke the record for blocks in a championship game IN THE FIRST HALF. There is a reason he's been compared to AK47. Sure he doesn't have great mass but what he does do is put a body on the opposing player making him work for his points and contesting his shots.

Some say Greg Oden physically abused him. Well #1 Greg Oden would abuse a lot of people. #2 That's not even true considering Noah A)Wasn't responsible for defending Oden and B)Spent an inordinate amount of time on the bench that game

I have never seen anyone "abuse" Noah.

He's got the athleticism, wing span, and attitude to be a great defensive player.

The notion that Solomon Jones is better than him is ridiculous.

Quote:

I don't think Noah should be our pick since we already have a better player in Solomon. If we get a big, we need one with a post game. We need a big body that can protect the paint.

Oh come on man. I don't want us to get Noah either, but Solomon is nowhere nearly as good as him. There's a reason he was a second rounder. He's fun to watch, but he isn't all that good, realistically speaking.