• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

With the 11th pick the hawks take Spencer Hawes...

TexasPete

I can feel this one coming from a mile away. Assuming we don't get Oden or Durant we will look to take a Center at 11 because BK doesn't go for PG's and only Law or Critt would be there at 11. BK will acquire a PG in another way like the Greek or a trade...

Hawes uncle Steve played for the Hawks under Gearon Sr. and BK is said to like Spencer. He will view this as helping our post defense. The bad thing is that Spencer really is a skilled passer but defense and rebounding are not his forte. He is hardly the answer and will have a lot to learn.

I can smell a BK move from a mile away and after Hibbert, Hawes is the best Center on BK's board. He will be our pick IMO...and it will another underwhelming draft for our woeful Hawks. Steve Hawes Hawks connections and Gearon background clinch the deal. Get ready.

• Premium Member

I don't have a problem with Hawes.

This guy is a throw back to when Centers had low post moves.

I doubt BK goes for him though because getting Hawes would signal that we were interested in a Half Court team. BK was brought here to build an uptempo "exciting" team.

Still Hawes' offense could be like that of Tim Duncan with work.

I pray your wrong!! I agree though that everyone on this board needs to quit talking about taking a PG at 11. BK WILL NOT take a PG in my opinion. In his mind we have 3 solid veteran PG's already and TLue and Speedy will come back healthy next season. That is what he is thinking believe me. You might be right about BK taking Hawes which would be horrible because he can't play defense or rebound worth a lick. WE HAVE TO SOMEHOW GET LUCKY AND GET THE #1 pick to save BK from ruining this draft.

Your right. And he doesn't rebound all that well despite his being the biggest guy on the court most games. He is a backup for the foreseeable future. The best case would be like a Chris Kaman and I don't even want to go worst case...

Remember, most here liked Deng...many wanted Paul or Deron...and NOBODY saw the logic of Shelden. Just remember who is doing the choosing. It probably won't make a damn bit of sense because IT NEVER DOES WITH BK.

How quickly we all forget who our GM is...I will bet it's Spencer Hawes with 11, assuming BK is not in love with Law. And the fact that many see Law as a combo guard could mean BK looks elsewhere. The last two BETTER combo guards, Roy and Foye, BK passed. Get ready for Hawes if we don't win the lottery. It's either a PG or a post...and I'll bet BK has other plans for a PG. Gentlemen, I give you Hawes.

I think even BK and Woody know we need a PG in the draft.

Hawse could be a throw back center. One with actual post moves with the right and left hand.

Law is a throw back guard of the 70's era. He is fundamentally sound, is equally effective using the left or right hand when finishing, has outside range, and a good mid range floater. His floor vision and passing are both better then he is given credit for and this is obvious if you have seen him play.

Form a physical standpoint I bet Law reminds both BK and Woody of themselves when in their prime. BK and Woody both look about 6'3'' and were good NBA guards in the 70's.

My gut tells me they like Law's mental toughness and all around game would be a good offensive for compliment JJ.

Can't wait for Conley, Law, amd Critt to work out vs. one another.

BK has never looked at a PG in the draft and I expect he won't now. He has a different view of the position than any GM in basketball and I don't believe he feels we even need one now. In his view he has 3 veterans who will all battle in camp. I truly believe that if we have the 11th pick and Conley is gone, he will pick Hawes.

The Gearon connection is huge with his uncle so it's an easy sell to the ASG. Just get ready cause if Hawes is there he's a Hawk baby.

I watched him play against LSU and he looked good down in the low post. I saw him against UCLA later in the year and he didn't look nearly as good. He looked like the more athletic UCLA front line made him uncomfortable, he could not get off his shot like before. I remember thinking he didn't look ready.

The posters on this site by and large understand our needs better than BK. You can see how the board thinks, most here want a young PG that we can groom that will grow with our young team. BK doesn't think that way. How many here would have promised SW a month before the draft? How many really thought SW should even be a Hawk? My point is that BK is a different breed of cat and he runs the club. He doesn't feel the same urgency we all do, in fact I think he is hell bent on proving his way works in the end. I believe he feels that the Greek would add to the competition at PG and I also believe he doesn't like rookie PG's.

Point is again...don't let our logic interfere with what is really about to happen. Just expect the unexpected because it's coming. And when the crowd boos the choice just expect Gearon and company to act like they get it and the fans are just stupid because these guys really believe they know what their doing.

I actually won't throw that big of a hissy fit if we take Hawes because at least it's a need position although the best available PG will clearly be better.

I'll take Hawes over something like Wright or Brewer that's for sure.

Although Hawes isn't known for his defensive prowess at least he's an upgrade at the C position. He's definitely got more upside than Zaza.

Quote:

I actually won't throw that big of a hissy fit if we take Hawes because at least it's a need position although the best available PG will clearly be better.

I'll take Hawes over something like Wright or Brewer that's for sure.

Although Hawes isn't known for his defensive prowess at least he's an upgrade at the C position. He's definitely got more upside than Zaza.

if you have to choose one or the other though I think you take the PG for two reasons.

1. Zaza is serviceable.

2. the 3 PGs we are talking about are all better prospects at their position than Hawes is at Center.

Quote:

if you have to choose one or the other though I think you take the PG for two reasons.

1. Zaza is serviceable.

2. the 3 PGs we are talking about are all better prospects at their position than Hawes is at Center.

I agree 100% with both of those picks which is why I personally hope we take the best available PG.

Im just saying if we did take Hawes I wouldn't be as devastated as I would be if we took a SF.

At least it would be an upgrade. Hawes has been right behind Oden every step of the way as the 2nd best C prospect. Im sure he'll take a few steps back in the pro level on that list in regards to Oden, but he's still got some decent upside at a need position.

His defense needs some work but he seems like he's a lot more interested in playing D than Zaza.

Quote:

I don't have a problem with Hawes.

I think he will be the next white stiff.

Quote:

I doubt BK goes for him though because getting Hawes would signal that we were interested in a Half Court team. BK was brought here to build an uptempo "exciting" team.

Billy doesn't even know what he wants. He wants uptempo team and hires Woody, he passes on pg's who are needed for the uptempo team. He is stuck with 3 veteran pg's who are all halfcourt players. He said he will get a big pg and than signs 5-11 Speedy.

Quote:

Still Hawes' offense could be like that of Tim Duncan with work.

I am not sure, Duncan is so strong that he overpowers players in the post.

Question:

If the three PGs are off the board, who do we take at #11?

A lot of people on this board think that Critt is a top 10 talent. If he moves into the top 10, we could very well see the 3 PGs go before our #11 pick.

If it's a choice between Critt and Hawes, BK might take Critt . . if anything, for PR purposes. Nothing like taking the local college star that everybody likes, to revitalize interest into the season. But as a player that could make an immeadiate impact, Hawes may be the guy on OUR team NEXT year. I say that because Hawes could beat out ZaZa for the starting C spot, easier than Critt could beat out Speedy, AJ, or Lue for the starting PG spot. Woody loves his vets.

So if Conley and Law are gone, I could see BK leaning either way. People might not like the Hawes pick, but he's an immeadiate upgrade over Wright and may be a more sound offensive player than ZaZa already. Defensively, we'd still suffer in the middle. But the middle would have a solid offensive threat in Hawes.

Conley vs Hawes . . give me Conley

Law vs Hawes . . give me Law

Critt vs Hawes . . ish, flip a coin, and I could live with either pick.

My PG's order is:

1. Conley

2. Critt

3. Law

I have nothing against Law but I think in the long run Conley and Critt will be better. Law is less a pure PG than the other two but he is better than anything currently on the roster in my view. I could live with any of the 3.

My gut tells me that Critt is going to tear it up within a few years. Big, athletic, strong, smart...he has it all. I view him like I view Marvin, not quite ready but will be excellent in the long run. It's a tough call but with #11 I'm going PG, not Hawes because the 3 PG's would make a difference and I'm not sure we solve anything trying to get our Center that far down the line. I like Hibbert but he isn't great on defense or rebounding. Lets get a PG.

Quote:

the 3 PGs we are talking about are all better prospects at their position than Hawes is at Center.

I think you're vastly underestimating Hawes. The kid's the real deal. He didnt get recognition, because he played on an awful team, but he's definately a baller. you don't see big guys with his offensive skills anymore, other than guys like duncan. And for those of you who say he's unathletic, take another look. he's no amare, but he can definately move.