• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

With the 11th pick the hawks take Spencer Hawes...

TexasPete

Quote:

Quote:

the 3 PGs we are talking about are all better prospects at their position than Hawes is at Center.

I think you're vastly underestimating Hawes. The kid's the real deal. He didnt get recognition, because he played on an awful team, but he's definately a baller. you don't see big guys with his offensive skills anymore, other than guys like duncan. And for those of you who say he's unathletic, take another look. he's no amare, but he can definately move.

I kinda doubt he will be at 11th, but if so, he isn't a bad selection at all, he will take a couple years but he will delevop and be alot better then Zaza.

Ive seen him play and he has a long way to go. He didn't dominate in college, he would come here and spend 2-3 years getting established. In the end, he is a good passing big man who might average 15ppg. But, it will take him awhile.

And judging by how a 20 year old has already been received by fans here I am pretty sure the patience for Hawes development is not there.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Ive seen him play and he has a long way to go. He didn't dominate in college, he would come here and spend 2-3 years getting established. In the end, he is a good passing big man who might average 15ppg. But, it will take him awhile.

And judging by how a 20 year old has already been received by fans here I am pretty sure the patience for Hawes development is not there.

I agree. Spencer will be nothing for his first few years, and his potential is that of an average Center. He can't play defense, won't block shots, doesn't rebound exceptionally well, and isn't athletic at all. I'd take Conley, Law, or Crittenton over this guy EASILY..

I'd love for someone to name the last impact Center that was drafted #11 or later. He's not even that great offensively..

Quote:

I'd love for someone to name the last impact Center that was drafted #11 or later. He's not even that great offensively..

Depending on your definition of impact and center, in the past 6 years, some candidates include Al Jefferson, Kristic, Gadzuric, Jason Collins, Sam Dalembert, Memo Okur. So your point still stands, but there are exceptions. Dalembert and Okur would be the most notable.

Quote:

I agree. Spencer will be nothing for his first few years, and his potential is that of an average Center. He can't play defense, won't block shots, doesn't rebound exceptionally well, and isn't athletic at all.

Didn't we learn anything from the other two stiffs this team has taken at the PF/C position (I'm namely speaking of Koncak and Keefe. Shelden still has some time to turn into a better player while the entire planet knew the other two were utterly useless from the day they were drafted). The fact that Hawes was the 2nd rated center behind Oden says more about the dearth of post players in college basketball to me than anything else. The man is 7'0 tall and averaged what, six boards a game? Are you kidding me? If he isn't scaring anyone on the college level from a defensive or rebounding standpoint, do you think the big men in the league will lose any sleep over him?

If BK is that stubborn to take him over a PG (Lord knows he won't take one if the Hawks hit the lotto with the 3rd pick), well, it has to make a sane man wonder....

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Depending on your definition of impact and center, in the past 6 years, some candidates include Al Jefferson, Kristic, Gadzuric, Jason Collins, Sam Dalembert, Memo Okur. So your point still stands, but there are exceptions. Dalembert and Okur would be the most notable.

Would you draft Krstic, Collins, or Gadzuric over Law, Conley, or Crittenton? Collins is horrible. Those are all average centers, which we don't need.

Daly took years and still isn't a double double guy, and Okur took years as well (although some of that could be attributed to being behind Sheed and Ben for a while). I don't really consider Al a center. Biedrins is actually a good example of someone also. But for the most part, mid first round is where average centers are found, which we don't need. I'll take a starting PG over that any day.

On the contrary, look at all the crap centers taken mid to late first round recently. Hoffa, Swift, Petro, O'Bryant, Sene, Ely, Haislip, Borchardt, Cabarkapa, Perkins, Mahinmi, Podkolzine, Harrison, Vazquez, Hunter, Bradley, Heywood, Moiso, Jason Collier, Tsakalidis, Zagreb.. I want no part of that. Half of those are out of the league.

Biedrins, Okur and possibly Dalembert are really the only Centers I'd take at that position if given hindsight. All of those guys took years to develop, Biedrins is getting there but has just finished his 3rd year. We don't need a project over a PG at center that late in the draft. That's 3 out of about 24 centers taken that have proven worthy. I don't want odds like those.

I think people are discriminating against the guy because of his looks. Don't be fooled, he's no stiff. The guy has some athleticism. And he's also a true big man. He's listed at 7 feet. That's not official but that's a good sign.

No denying his upside over Pachulia.

And he's also younger than Oden. I know Pachulia isn't old but that's pretty cool.

I can live with this pick especially if Law and Conley are gone.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. Spencer will be nothing for his first few years, and his potential is that of an average Center. He can't play defense, won't block shots, doesn't rebound exceptionally well, and isn't athletic at all. I'd take Conley, Law, or Crittenton over this guy EASILY..

I saw nearly every game Hawes played this year. Personally, I like Spencer but he is a few years away and I don't think the Hawks can wait. He could be a very good (but probably not great) center. He's second, behind Oden, for his class. He can be aggressive and has a (good) attitude, but he needs more muscle - he should have stayed in school longer, but $$$$$$.

The reason he didn't do better this year was a broken bone early in the season and then got some sort of flu and lost over twenty pounds and was pretty weak. He started playing better later in the season when he recovered.

Someone mentioned the UCLA game - for the first game he was still sick, but got 21pts / 6rbds in a loss. Later in the season they played again and he had 13pts/15 rbds/5 blocks in a win. He had 12 pts / 12 rbds / 3 blocks against Pittsburgh while holding Aaron Gray to 5 points. Against LSU he had 23 pts/12rbds while Big Baby got 8 points. So he CAN rebound and play defense, but he also had the Pac-10 leading rebounder playing next to him. (Jon Brockman is a beast and I'd pick him in the top 5 in the draft if he was taller - but he is a 6'7" power forward - that won't work in the NBA.) Hawes is a "back to the basket" post player, but against USC, he hit his first 3-point try of the season on an inbounds play with 1-second left to put the game into overtime.

Hawes would not be a BAD choice, however I don't think we have the time to wait on him.