• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

No "told you so"s after the lottery about tanking

bfwolf

If the Bucks get the #1 pick, I don't want any "told you so"s from the pro-tanking crowd. If the Hawks or Seattle gets the #1 pick, I don't want any "told you so"s from the anti-tanking crowd. You CANNOT use the hindsight of the results of the lottery as part of your argument, as that is information we didn't have when we could have tanked. All rational arguments only discuss the odds we would have going in to the lottery based on our position in the standings, as that's the only thing we could control/know.

And more importantly, we're all in this thing together, so there's no point in bickering about what we should have done.

ain't gonna happen.

the doomsdayers have been relatively quiet for them the past week. they're saving their energy for after this ping pong ball drawing.

there will be some that make valid points. there will be others that b!tch and whine looking for attention. But quiet on the subject I can assure you they will not be.

• Premium Member

Quote:

ain't gonna happen.

the doomsdayers have been relatively quiet for them the past week. they're saving their energy for after this ping pong ball drawing.

there will be some that make valid points. there will be others that b!tch and whine looking for attention. But quiet on the subject I can assure you they will not be.

Sadly, I agree. The best solution may be to just ignore this site for a few days. After the order is announced, there's little to discuss until the workouts. What's done is done by 8:30 tonight.

Well I'll certainly hold my tongue on the issue...I mean...just because we could have tanked a couple weeks earlier when BK was "driving for his meaningless thirty" wins...and therefore have had Milwaukee's position in the draft and considerably more ping-pong balls (?). Far be it from me to criticize a team startegy that has produced consistent improvement (13-26-30 wins).

If PHX gets the pick...oh well...hope they use it well and we can move on to a promising next year. (teeth grinding). chairs.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

just because we could have tanked a couple weeks earlier

That argument is false. Joe Johnson and Josh Smith were not willing to tank "a few weeks earlier." And the only reason the Hawks didn't lose "a few weeks later" is that Mike Woodson ran JJ into the ground.

It's a moot point, and always has been.

• Moderators

I agree with your post, BDawg. All the pre-lottery activity can affect is lottery odds - not lottery results. Accordingly, the full discussion of what the Hawks could have controlled has already taken place.

And that cuts both ways. For example, I think you can make a good argument that Indiana should have tanked a few games to keep their pick. The mere fact that they might get lucky and win the lottery would not make that the right decision anymore than it would make a strategy wrong simply because a team didn't get their pick selected in the top 3.

It is about the balance of developing players, winning games and maximizing lottery odds. The results are secondary from a strategic standpoint.

Exactly. There are some things in life that it's appropriate to measure on an inputs basis, some things that it's appropriate to measure on an outputs basis, and some things that it's appropriate to measure on both. The lottery is a prime example of something where an inputs measurement is the only appropriate measurement.

Quote:

If the Bucks get the #1 pick, I don't want any "told you so"s from the pro-tanking crowd. If the Hawks or Seattle gets the #1 pick, I don't want any "told you so"s from the anti-tanking crowd. You CANNOT use the hindsight of the results of the lottery as part of your argument, as that is information we didn't have when we could have tanked. All rational arguments only discuss the odds we would have going in to the lottery based on our position in the standings, as that's the only thing we could control/know.

And more importantly, we're all in this thing together, so there's no point in bickering about what we should have done.

Agreed. In about 6 hours, this will be a moot point, no matter where we land. Even the ones of us who were heavily against tanking, aren't rooting against the Hawks not getting a top 2 pick at this point now.

Sure we will. What ever happens, it just won't be enough

to stop the tears.

Most of us can't put the past behind us. We must go back

and hash it over and over and over.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Being one of the old people, I can say this about us who

have, long ago, passed the prime of life.

Some old codgers prefer to live in the past, telling of

how things once were. That's all they talk about, the past.

Others, which I hope I fit into this catigory, are always

looking to the future and being excited about what might

lie ahead.

Want to grow old before your time? Then, the solution

is simple. Choose to live in the past. Worry and fret

over things that coulda, shoulda, woulda made a huge

difference in how things worked out.

How ever the ping pong balls fall, whoever the Hawks get,

if any one, in the draft will be the wrong player. Count

on it. Remember the song from the TV program Hee Haw?

"Deep despair and agony on me,

If it weren't for bad luck,

I'd have no luck at all." - weeping.gif

All I've got to say is:

GO HAWKS !!!!!!

nana.gifnana.gifnana.gifnana.gifnana.gifnana.gifnana.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

Well I will tell you in advance (please see the time of post) that BK is not going to do anything to improve this franchise, history tells us that. Look at the GM record of BK, (I know some of you who haven't been around will support him), but he is simply not a basketball man. As a matter of fact he was a low pct shooter in the league too. I remember when he played for Kansas City and it was ugly!

Bottom line is that I have been around for the good and bad of this franchise and it is at it's lowest point.

It is time for a change and whatever the lottery results it won't matter!

Quote:

Well I will tell you in advance (please see the time of post) that BK is not going to do anything to improve this franchise, history tells us that. Look at the GM record of BK, (I know some of you who haven't been around will support him), but he is simply not a basketball man. As a matter of fact he was a low pct shooter in the league too. I remember when he played for Kansas City and it was ugly!

Bottom line is that I have been around for the good and bad of this franchise and it is at it's lowest point.

Didn't BK build Memphis when they were a playoff team?

I think you're jumping the gun. Problem is we've been so bad for some long ppl are blaming our current staff and players for things that happened 5 years before them.

This current corp has been in the making for 3 years and in those three years we have increased our win total every year.

With the potential of the young players on this team, I don't see any regression in our near future. I especially don't see it if we land the Indy pick and wisely use it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I think you're jumping the gun. Problem is we've been so bad for some long ppl are blaming our current staff and players for things that happened 5 years before them.

This current corp has been in the making for 3 years and in those three years we have increased our win total every year.

With the potential of the young players on this team, I don't see any regression in our near future. I especially don't see it if we land the Indy pick and wisely use it.

Nope BK did not BUILD the memphis franchise, they hired Jerry West to get the job done.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope BK did not BUILD the memphis franchise, they hired Jerry West to get the job done.

that didn't work out so hot.