sinctybldh

CHAD FORD'S MOCK DRAFT

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Portland

Greg Oden Position: C

Height: 7-0

Weight: 245

School: Ohio State

The skinny: Jackpot! The Blazers are a good fit for Oden. With Oden and Brandon Roy, the Blazers will be a playoff contender next year.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Seattle

Kevin Durant Position: SF

Height: 6-10

Weight: 190

School: Texas

The skinny: Durant should give the Sonics the ability to let Rashard Lewis walk. But will Durant's presence save basketball in Seattle?

I wonder if the Sonics and Blazers want to talk swap. Oden would be a great fit in Seattle, while Durant would fill a bigger need in Portland.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Atlanta

Mike Conley Position: PG

Height: 6-0

Weight: 170

The skinny: The team may be devastated that they didn't get Greg Oden, but they score his teammate for the last six years, Conley.

After passing on Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Rajon Rondo in the last two drafts, it's time to take a point guard, right?

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis

Corey Brewer Position: SG

Height: 6-8

Weight: 185

School: Florida

The skinny: While the lottery appears to have turned out disastrously for Memphis, Brewer does give them a long, athletic defender and scorer in the backcourt.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Boston

Yi Jianlian Position: PF

Weight: 246

The skinny: This is the worst-case scenario for the Celtics, but Yi has enough talent to be a star.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Milwaukee

Al Horford Position: PF

Height: 6-9

Weight: 235

The skinny: The Bucks need to add some toughness and defense in the paint and Horford looks like a great fit. Andrew Bogut and Charlie Villanueva are great scorers, but Brian Skinner is the only tough guy they have on the team willing to do the dirty work. Horford's also one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft.

Another option here would be North Carolina's Brandan Wright.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota

Brandan Wright Position: PF

Weight: 210

School: North Carolina

The skinny: The Timberwolves' biggest need is in the frontcourt. They have to get more size and athleticism, and Wright would be a steal if he falls this far. Many GMs have him ranked as the third-best prospect in the draft. He doesn't play with the intensity of Kevin Garnett, but he has a lot of similar tools.

They also could opt for point guard Mike Conley here. But if they take him, they'll have to clean up a pretty huge logjam in their backcourt.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte

Julian Wright Position: SF

Weight: 220

School: Kansas

The skinny: Wright's an athletic small forward who should be a better fit in Charlotte than Adam Morrison.

Joakim Noah's also a possibility here. Charlotte honchos Michael Jordan and Bernie Bickerstaff should be fans of Noah's energy and intensity. With Noah, Emeka Okafor, Sean May and Primoz Brezec, the Bobcats would have a number of different looks they can give you on their front line.

Also, Noah projects as one of the most marketable players in the draft, and the Bobcats are still searching for the face of the team.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago

(via New York)

Spencer Hawes Position: C

Weight: 230

School: Washington

The skinny: The Bulls desperately need low-post scoring, and Hawes may be the most offensively-gifted low-post player in the draft. He can score in a variety of ways around the basket and has the toughness Scott Skiles demands from his players. The main drawback is Hawes' lack of athleticism and strength.

The Bulls really want Yi, so don't be surprised if they try to move up a few spots in the draft to get him.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Sacramento

Roy Hibbert Position: C

Height: 7-2

Weight: 265

School: Georgetown

The skinny: There are still big question marks about whether Hibbert will actually stay in the draft. If he does, the Kings are very high on him, I'm told. With Brad Miller's career winding down, they want another skilled big man with great size and passing ability. Hibbert's lack of athleticism and rebounding have many scouts wary, but apparently the Kings don't feel the same way.

If Hibbert isn't there, Conley could be the pick here given Mike Bibby's recent dissatisfaction with the team.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Atlanta

(via Indiana)

Joakim Noah Position: PF

Height: 6-11

The skinny: The energetic big man will give the Hawks much-needed help on the defensive end.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

Jeff Green Position: SF

Weight: 225

School: Georgetown

The skinny: The Sixers really need a power forward, but at this point, Green is clearly the best player left on the board. He's a much better prospect than the small forward the Sixers drafted last year, Rodney Carney. He also could play as a 4 in a small-ball lineup.

Green, like Andre Iguodala, has some serious point-forward skills and should provide more glue to a team that was starting to come together in the second half of the season.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Orleans

Al Thornton Position: SF

Height: 6-7

School: Florida State

The skinny: With Desmond Mason hitting free agency, the Hornets will look for a swingman to play alongside Peja Stojakovic, if he can get healthy. Brewer is the ideal fit, but if he's gone I expect they'll decide between Thornton and Thaddeus Young.

Thornton is the more NBA ready of the two players, though it looks like Young has the higher ceiling.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

L.A. Clippers

Acie Law Position: PG

Height: 6-3

Weight: 185

School: Texas A&M

The skinny: With Shaun Livingston's future up in the air, the Clippers need to seriously think about adding another point guard. Sam Cassell can't run the show forever, and Law would be a good replacement.

Like Cassell, he's a scoring guard who is fearless at the end of games. He should be able to step in and contribute immediately.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Detroit

(via Orlando)

Rodney Stuckey Position: SG

Height: 6-4

Weight: 205

School: Eastern Wash.

The skinny: Some may raise their eyebrows if Stuckey goes this high, and I don't have specific information that says Detroit would take him. He just seems like the type of player Detroit likes and would be an excellent fit.

Stuckey is a Randy Foye-type combo guard who can play some point but really excels by putting the ball on the floor and getting to the basket. He would be a big upgrade over Flip Murray.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington

Thaddeus Young Position: SF

School: Georgia Tech

The skinny:Small forward isn't a huge need for Washington, but Young has too much talent and upside to pass on at this point. Wizards fans will just have to be a little patient with him.

The Wizards also like Brazil's Tiago Splitter, but they made a similar pick last year in Oleksiy Pecherov.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey

Nick Young Position: PG

Height: 6-6

Weight: 200

School: USC

The skinny: This really shows how deep the draft is. In a normal year, Young's probably a top 10 pick, but this year he could slip this far. If he does, New Jersey has excellent insurance should Vince Carter bolt via free agency.

Like Carter, Young is a super-athletic 2 guard who can shoot the basketball and deliver the highlight-reel dunk.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Golden State

Jason Smith Position: PF

School: Colorado State

The skinny: Smith is the perfect type of player for Nellie. He is tall and athletic, gets up and down the floor and can score from just about anywhere on the floor. He also plays with great energy.

Smith could be a real sleeper in the draft.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

L.A. Lakers

Javaris Crittenton Position: PG

Height: 6-5

Weight: 180

School: Georgia Tech

The skinny: Phil Jackson loves big point guards and Crittenton, at 6-foot-5, has a lot going for him. He is an excellent athlete, can shoot and has enough ball-handling skills to play full-time at the point guard position.

Long-term, he's an upgrade over Jordan Farmar, though he may take a year or two to develop.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Miami

Tiago Splitter Position: PF

Weight: 240

The skinny: Splitter has enough talent to go a few spots higher, but he won't be able to get out of his contract until the 2008-09 season, which should make him slide a bit.

Splitter is a Euroleague veteran with great size and good mobility. He's a tough defender, but his offensive game still needs some work.

With Shaq's career starting to taper off, along with Alonzo Mourning's, the Heat need to start thinking about adding another big man.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

(via Denver)

Josh McRoberts Position: PF

School: Duke

The skinny: Sixers GM Billy King loves Duke players, and McRoberts has a lot more talent than his box scores at Duke suggest. He's tall, athletic and very skilled, but he played most of his career out of position at Duke.

He's not a go-to type player, but he should be a better, more athletic version of Luke Walton.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte

(via Toronto)

Brandon Rush Position: SG

Weight: 205

School: Kansas

The skinny: The Bobcats fill their need at 2 guard with one of the more underrated players in the draft.

Rush has great size for the position, is a good athlete, plays solid defense and has an excellent perimeter stroke. He's been a little passive at times at Kansas, but he's a hard worker who should be a good fit.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New York

(via Chicago)

Sean Williams Position: C

School: Boston College

The skinny: Williams was ranked as a late-lottery prospect by many NBA scouts before he was dismissed from Boston College at midseason. Everyone knows he has had off-court issues, but this late in the draft someone is going to pull the trigger on the best shot-blocker in the draft.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas seems like the perfect candidate.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Phoenix

(via Cleveland)

Ante Tomic Position: C

Height: 7-2

Weight: 237

The skinny: I wouldn't be surprised to see the Suns try to package this pick along with the No. 29 pick to move up a few spots in the draft or to facilitate a trade to get rid of Marcus Banks and/or Boris Diaw.

If they do keep it, I suspect they'll go international so they can keep the player in Europe and off the payroll. Tomic has great size and ability at the center position, but he needs to add strength and toughness.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah

Derrick Byars Position: SF

Weight: 220

School: Vanderbilt

The skinny: Byars is a bit of a sleeper. He really didn't come on strong at Vanderbilt until his senior season.

The Jazz want to add a shooter who can play the 2 and 3 and play some defense. Italy's Marco Belinelli and Rice's Morris Almond are also possibilities here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Houston

Marco Belinelli Position: SG

Weight: 200

The skinny: The Rockets could use some improvement in their outside shooting, and Belinelli has one of the best pure strokes in the draft. He also comes with great experience in the Euroleague and should be able to step in and help right away.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Detroit

Daequan Cook Position: SG

Height: 6-5

The skinny: The Pistons could really shore up their backcourt here with a young, athletic shooter who got limited opportunity at Ohio State this season.

Cook still needs to work on his handle and his defense, but he'd be an excellent fit coming off the bench in Detroit. A big man like DeVon Hardin is also a possibility here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

San Antonio

Gabe Pruitt Position: PG

Height: 6-4

Weight: 170

School: USC

The skinny: Pruitt is a combo guard who has great size for the point, excellent athleticism and a beautiful stroke on his jumper.

His decision-making and leadership skills need to improve and he needs to add more strength, but he could be a late first-round steal for a team like San Antonio, which is looking for more depth in the backcourt.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Phoenix

Rudy Fernandez Position: SG

Weight: 172

The skinny: Suns will likely try to trade this pick, but if they keep it, they'll likely go international.

Fernandez had a breakout season in Spain this year. He's an excellent athlete with a good shooting stroke and the ability to play some point. His lack of strength and durability are the only things keeping his stock this low at the moment.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

(via Dallas)

Glen Davis Position: PF

Weight: 290

School: LSU

The skinny: Davis has amazing skills for a big guy -- the problem is that he's just so big. If he can keep his weight down, he could end up being a steal this late. But that's a big if. Workouts will really matter for him.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

• Admin

Wright only adds more questions.

This would be a tremendous draft for us. Conely and Noah would be excellent additions.

Noah is a leader, he has energy and would block a lot of shots protecting the basket. He would have been number one last year. He has post skills and a great attitude.

Conely is the pg we need. It will allow us to unload Lue, AJ or whatever excess fat we have back there in the PG.

Conely, Speedy

JJ, Childress

Marvin, FA

Smith, Sheldon, Jones

Zaza, Noah

That is an up and coming team.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Don't not pick Wright because BK has been a [censored] up the last 4 years? If he or Yi are the best prospects by a fair margin (certainly over Conley at 3...what a joke!) fix the problem going in. Consider trading MW, JC, and/or SW ahead of time. REMAKE THIS FATALLY FLAWED TEAM!

W

i know that shaun livingston got hurt pretty bad but is his future that uncertain?

anyway, after all the discussion i'm more leaning towards these options:

-pick Yi at 3 and Conley/Law at 11

-pick Hibbert at 3 and Conley/Law at 11

-pick Noah at 5 (trading down) and Conley/Law at 11

- pick Conley at 5 (trading down) and Noah at 11

now see the more i look at it, the more i feel that getting a big with the first pick is more important. I mean look at the several choices we have by picking the big first. If we pick Conley first, we have to pray to the gods that Noah falls to 11 or we end up with Hawes.

after reading some stuff here just a minute ago on both Conley and Law, I do agree that Conley seems to be the more dynamic talent and would like him at 11. I would love to move the 11 up to a 8 or 9 if Conley is still available.

Quote:

Quote:

Don't not pick Wright because BK has been a [censored] up the last 4 years? If he or Yi are the best prospects by a fair margin (certainly over Conley at 3...what a joke!) fix the problem going in. Consider trading MW, JC, and/or SW ahead of time. REMAKE THIS FATALLY FLAWED TEAM!

W

Walter, This will be great time to be a Hawk fan, Wright will save this team. Noah has no business near this squad. Law needs to be the pick. Just watch, I'm rarely on this site but today I couldn't resist.

The Conley/Noah draft would be my preference, as well, even if we are unable to trade down to get more value for the #3 pick. This isn't the NFL where you can move down and accumulate more picks later if you think you're guy will still be there.

Conley may not be the third best player in the draft, but he's probably in the the 6-9 range and I don't mind making a reach for the PG of our future. It's pointless to harp on the mistakes of the past, and now that we've identified needs we should just move forward to address them. I think Wright is a better prospect than Noah, but at #11 Wright won't be available and Noah would be a steal. Not only would he help address our defensive problems in the paint, his uptempo style fits this "team" and he would be pissed that 10 teams passed on him.

Quote:

Quote:

-pick Hibbert at 3 and Conley/Law at 11

I think that is the way to go. My one wish for the draft is NO GD FORWARDS!

The more I think about it, the more I like it. If we take a PG at 3, the big man pickings are going to be slim at 11.

We def need a PG and C but the issue is the prioritization of those needs and how you value the players at each position. I think Conley is an ideal fit for our franchise as he is a pure PG who can get into the lane and finish or find teammates without turning it over, while Law looks to score first and is not known as a terrific defender. I think JCrit will ultimately be better than both but he will take at least 2yrs to mature.

That being said, we should use the #3 on Conley b/c he will likely be gone by #11 [unless we trade up] and also b/c I'm not really sold on any of the big man prospects in the way that I believe Conley will be our PG of the future. I actually like Wright a lot but I don't see how we can play him alongside Smoove & Marvin, while I'm not sold on Hibbert or Noah as our solution for a shot-blocking, rebounding center [at least at #3].

Quote:

to me wright has a chance to be a superstar. noah will be a role player. u don't pass on a superstar to take a role player like the schmuck gm did last year when he took Williams over Roy.

Wright is listed at 6'9 225. Which probably means he is 6'8 210. Why would we draft someone who is smaller than Smoove to play PF? Considering we picked the so called best PF in the draft last year?

I think that we are too quick to dismiss Noah as an option. Truth be told, if he comes out last year, he is probably the #1 pick. He didn't all of a sudden become a stiff, but since he is old news, we kick him to the curb.

If we end up with a Noah Conley combination, we ought to run to the ticket office. We would have drafted the leader of a 2 time champion and the leader of last year's runner up. I can see Noah being 1st team all rookie and have folks pretend as if they knew it all along.

I project Noah as a 10/10/2/2 rookie. I forsee Conley being a 13/3/6 player as a rookie. They way I would play Noah is as the primary backup for Smoove at the PF and then play him at the 5 in sets with Smoove and Childress at the 3,4,5 which could be the longest armed lineup in history.

Shelden would be moved as the primary backup for Zaza at center.

He's out his damn mind if he thinks Noah or Hibbert last that long let alone both.

Spencer Hawes that high? You've got to be kidding me.

Hibbert at 3, Law/Conley at 11

That's the only way to go.

Hibbert's a safer pick than Yi and much more potential defensively.

Law is a safe solid pick as well.

Two experienced players ready to contribute for a playoff team.