• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whats the big deal in Conley???

A-town Hawks

I think Conley is a nice prospect but I would never be happy with draft him at 3. I would much rather prefer trading the pick for a star Big like J.O. Pau or even Marcus Camby or Maybe just drafting Brandan Wright I like the idea of Acie Law at #11 he IMO will be a better player than Conley immediatly. Acie I think even though his ceiling isn't as high as Conley he still would be a great PG for the Hawks. Plus I'll take JO and Acie over Conley at 3 and Joakim Noah at 11.

It's not that I think Law is a better player than Conley, because Conley is a more pure PG.

But I don't think the dropoff between Law and Conley is big as people are making it.

People act like Law isn't any closer to a PG than Salim. That's not even close to true.

I do admit Conley is a better prospect, but there is a FAR bigger gap if we pass on a big at #3 and try to get one at #11.

I don't really see a big that is worth being picked at 3. I definitely wouldn't take Spencer Hawes that high, and with Roy Hibbert deciding to stay at Georgetown, the center crop just thinned out a lot.

Basically, with the 3rd pick, the Hawks are looking at taking the point guard they need in Mike Conley Jr., the player that is arguably the player with the highest upside on the board in Brandan Wright, the player that may be the best player on the board at the 3rd pick period in Al Horford, or a beavy of swingmen in Corey Brewer, Julian Wright, or Jeff Green.

What if we take Conley at 3, and then Sean Williams out of BC with the 11. He has character issues, and so he is expected to drop down to the 20's, but I think he is a lottery talent level player. He is probably the second best center remaining in the draft (after Oden). It all depends on what height he measures out as. If he is really 6-11 235 pounds, then he has to be considered.

Conley reminds me of Rod Strickland actually.

Quote:

I don't really see a big that is worth being picked at 3. I definitely wouldn't take Spencer Hawes that high, and with Roy Hibbert deciding to stay at Georgetown, the center crop just thinned out a lot.

Basically, with the 3rd pick, the Hawks are looking at taking the point guard they need in Mike Conley Jr., the player that is arguably the player with the highest upside on the board in Brandan Wright, the player that may be the best player on the board at the 3rd pick period in Al Horford, or a beavy of swingmen in Corey Brewer, Julian Wright, or Jeff Green.

You may not see a big worthy of the 3rd pick, but you won't see one worthy of starting if we wait till 11 to get one.

Sometimes you have to base your draft order off of the depth of the draft.

• Premium Member

I don't think Conley is the better prospect.

When you look at PGs, being a distributor is good...

However, you have to weigh a PG vs. his team. OSU was loaded with talent and that's beside Oden. Does that make Conley look good? Of course it does. Just like Raymond Felton a few years ago. He played on a team loaded with talent.

However, Law played in a system basically where if he didn't get it done, it wouldn't get done. Just like Paul a couple of years ago.

The people who says that there's a big dropoff between Conlyey Jr. and Law have never really sat down and watched these guys play. I would watch Law play (like against Texas or against Texas Tech) and I would say: Darn, if this guy had the setup that Augustin had, this guy would be fire.

The game that really sold me was Law vs. Louisville. WHo didn't see that? This guy went back and fourth by himself with a great shooting offense. And he won. When he would be the man against Texas, I would say, well he knows how to play them. But to see him do it in the NCAAs made it for me.

Also, I don't think Law will make it out of the top 10. Really, there are some guys parading around on these Mocks that will definitely not make it into the top 10 ahead of Law. That's a bummer, but I hope that Law makes it to 11 and we can take him.

Quote:

The people who says that there's a big dropoff between Conlyey Jr. and Law have never really sat down and watched these guys play. I would watch Law play (like against Texas or against Texas Tech) and I would say: Darn, if this guy had the setup that Augustin had, this guy would be fire.

The game that really sold me was Law vs. Louisville. WHo didn't see that? This guy went back and fourth by himself with a great shooting offense. And he won. When he would be the man against Texas, I would say, well he knows how to play them. But to see him do it in the NCAAs made it for me.

Also, I don't think Law will make it out of the top 10. Really, there are some guys parading around on these Mocks that will definitely not make it into the top 10 ahead of Law. That's a bummer, but I hope that Law makes it to 11 and we can take him.

I actually did watch a lot of both Law and Conley, and will pick Conley over Law. We need a distributer and a defensive presence at the PG in my opinion and Conley fits the bill more so than Law (with more potential to boot). Law definitely was capable of dominating games, but he almost always did this in a scoring capacity instead of a from a distributing standpoint (I know..I know..you have to consider what his team needed him to do). Really we're comparing a freshmen to a senior, and the freshmen was the better distributer/defender despite lacking 3 years of experience.

And I agree 100% with you Diesel, I really don't see Law making out of the top 10 come draft day. Look for him to be considered by the Kings.

Quote:

I agree with this. Now that the top ten just got thinner, I would bet a little money that Law does not make it out of the top ten.

Quote:

And I agree 100% with you Diesel, I really don't see Law making out of the top 10 come draft day. Look for him to be considered by the Kings.

Yep and if not the Kings, someone will move up into the top ten to get him.

• Premium Member

He may have been a better distributor by number, but that's simply because he had better options to pass to. OSU ran a lot of pick and roll... Still, my biggest complaint about Conley Jr. is his size. You say he's a good defender. I say, on the pro level, I don't see it. He's about 6'0 170. That's bad news in the pros. He will be coming in smaller than JT did. I don't see him being able to be half of what he was in college... PLUS he doesn't have a great college shot.

Also, you say we need a pure PG (distributor).. I disagree again. We need a guy who can get the ball to players in their spot but we need a guy who can hit a shot and keep defenses honest.

JJ is a phenomenal scorer... But really, he's the only guy who is capable of scoring consistently. You pair him with a PG who can't shoot and the next thing you know, defenses are doubling up on JJ daring our PG to make something happen.

I will bet anything Philly will try to move ahead of us and Sactown to grab him. They have a couple late 1st round picks as ammo. Andre Miller is on the last year of his deal so its a perfect place for a pg to go to learn for a year and then take the wheel.