• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks trading #3 pick to Portland?

Sothron

• Premium Member

Twenty-four hours had yet to pass on the draft lottery transformation of the Portland Trail Blazers, and general manager Kevin Pritchard and his staff already had brainstormed a most intriguing idea: If they're going to draft Greg Oden, they should take a hard look at making a trade to get Mike Conley Jr. to come with him.

So the discussion is under way, a source close to the team and Oden said Wednesday night, about trading into the top of the lottery for a second draft pick to secure the franchise center's personal point guard. It would be a brilliant, bold stroke for the Blazers G.M., and here's the thing: Pritchard has the parts and the imagination to make it happen.

He's on a professional roll, what with drafting LaMarcus Aldridge and trading for rookie of the year Brandon Roy. And now, against all odds, he won the No. 1 pick in the June 28 draft.

Does Pritchard have enough with Zach Randolph, a 20-and-10 low post scorer and rebounder, and Jarrett Jack, a competent point guard, as the backbone of a major trade? As it looks now, the Blazers are determined to find out.

Oden and Conley have been together through AAU and high school ball in Indiana and a Final Four season at Ohio State. Before they even won the lottery Tuesday, the Blazers had done enough research on Oden to understand that to get the most out of this mild-mannered Midwestern prodigy he needs to be comfortable. He never has played without his best friend, Conley, who happens to be the best point guard in the draft.

Already Conley and Oden, who flew to Oregon on Wednesday for a meeting at Nike, privately are discussing the possibility of Portland crafting a deal to keep them together. While Oden understands it's still something of a reach, the fact that the Blazers immediately thought of trying to get Conley thrilled Oden.

After talking with confidants about Portland winning the No. 1 pick, Oden expressed relief that he was going to a smaller market. He never has been enamored with the bright lights and big city. He was born in Buffalo, raised in Indianapolis and had little appetite for the suffocating pressures of, say, Boston.

As for the Celtics, who sit miserably at No. 5, they logically should be one of the Blazers' most promising trade partners. Without Oden or Kevin Durant, G.M. Danny Ainge is wisest to look hard at packaging his pick and a young player or two for veterans. Yet there is the pending problem of Ainge agreeing to do a major trade with the Blazers after that draft-day disaster a year ago that left them without Roy or Randy Foye – and with Sebastian Telfair. Another issue muddling this possibility is that Randolph is too similar to the Celtics' Al Jefferson.

Even so, if Ainge is going to get duped again, you'd figure he isn't going to let it be Pritchard.

Truth be told, the Blazers might have to get the third overall pick out of Atlanta's hands to guarantee that they can get Conley. The Hawks could get their point guard at No. 9 with Acie Law and use the third pick to bring back a powerful inside presence in Randolph. Of course, Atlanta may not have the salaries to give back for the maxed-out Randolph, and that's where a third team could be useful.

Together, Oden and Conley are represented by Mike Conley Sr., who has aligned himself with Bill Duffy's BDA Management. Duffy is a powerbroker agent who can facilitate the kind of major trade needed to happen here, one which likely will need the involvement of a third team.

Whatever happens, Pritchard's imagination started churning the moment that pingpong ball bounced the Blazers' way Tuesday night. He's going to go through the motions of evaluating Oden and Durant, but it's inevitable he'll choose the center over the forward. As it looks now, his real work between now and draft day could come with getting Oden's personal point guard to the Blazers, too. It would be some story, some future.

Thoughts? Do we really want a nutcase like Randolph in a nightlife city like Atlanta even if he came with Jack (assuming that is an offer)?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I've been saying. These two want to stay together and the Hawks are the team standing in the way because they know we need a PG. The ball is on the tee...all dumbass has to do is knock it out of the park.

Problem is, the dude can't hit to save his life. Most likely he will swing and the ball will remain on the tee.

Life with Billy is never too good.

Other than Randolph's attitude issues, it would be very difficult to trade away a player with his on-court skills for something other than another bonafide scorer, rebounder and I don't see the Hawks dealing Smoove for him. Marvin.....maybe but the money situation would make even that a hard trade to work out.

You beat me to it, I was just about to post this. Here is my deal #3 and Mr. Craig Claxton to Portland for Jack and Lamracus. Anything short of that and they can stick it. Remeber a few years ago when we took Marv and the Blaze had #3. Well BK tried like hell to get their pick at 3 to get one of the pg's as well as Marv and Portland took the deal with Utah. Paybacks are a biattchh and if they want pick 3 they have to PAY VALUE. They better not even mention the name Zack Rand-offed to us either. weeds.gif

Quote:

That's what I've been saying. These two want to stay together and the Hawks are the team standing in the way because they know we need a PG. The ball is on the tee...all dumbass has to do is knock it out of the park.

Problem is, the dude can't hit to save his life. Most likely he will swing and the ball will remain on the tee.

Life with Billy is never too good.

You like Aldridge that much? I don't see much to like coming from them. I know you are not talking about Randolph. He would be like Reef with a slice of Rider and Jackson. I know he is a shoot first undersized pf. He was a role player on a good college team. He's now a top scorer on a crap team. Go figure. You let a role player with an ego shoot and... voila! He's now a big contract guy. What has he ever done. What exactly in his skill set says that you should let him be "the man"? Baffling to me. The Blazers have been garbage since they tied their cart to him.

Quote:

randolph isn't a center; don't need him when we have smoove

and this my friends it he main issue with this entire discussion. why the hell would we want another forward? i would take aldridge because he's more of a center than randolph but i dont see that happening.

i think Portland would be wise not to push too much to get Conley. If they can trade Randolph for a higher pick then great but they're on a roll and if they trade with the sole intent of getting Conley, then they may get disappointed if we or someone else gets him...

with that said, i only see a trade with Atlanta working if two things happen-1)a 3rd team is involved that Randolph goes to where we can get a point/bigman from (Lakers?) 2) speedy goes away.

Guest Walter

Didn't he just draft SW to be our Pf. Within 11 months the 5th pick "NBA-ready" SW would be THIRD behind Randolph and JS (if not 4th behind MW) on our Pf depth chart. He would never see the light of day or we'd play a round mound midget front court and get shot over all day.

I like what Randolph can do on the court. Unlikely we could get better offensive player with the 3rd pick. But Randolph has some SERIOUS question marks including his deal and solves none of our positional problems. It at the minimum requires a 2nd deal to be made trading MW. At most it requires THAT, continues to require a defensive center prospect as Randolph does not defend well, and could unravel this team and rebuild. Remember, Randolph carried the Trailblazers to a pretty horrible record. He's not a player whose numbers translate to wins.

Interesting thought. I think I'd go a different direction and fast, but I'll think about it.

W

There are a few reasons Randolph is NOT an option. #1 we already have a semi head case in Smoove and Salim, we do not need a full blown head case in Randolph. #2. I dont think we can take on a whole lot of $$$ until the court crap is done. If we trade pick #3 its gonna be for guys on their rookie deals like Aldridge, Jack, West, Jefferson or Rondo.

Quote:

There are a few reasons Randolph is NOT an option. #1 we already have a semi head case in Smoove and Salim, we do not need a full blown head case in Randolph.

My god...consider the house parties they could throw!

The only guy who makes sense is Aldridge and he is not a real post. But, he is a guy with a lot of upside and if he got stronger could guard the post possibly...Jack has to be in the deal as well obviously. In only 30 minutes he average 12ppg and 5 assts...he is only 23 and with more minutes and experience I can see him at 15/8...and good defense.

Getting a center for me is all about defense. It's about defending the paint as much as anything. Yes, low post scoring is important but it is a tough thing to find these days. The 4 teams left all have some low post scoring, the problem is finding it.

My deal is:

Chill/3rd pick/Speedy (unload his contract) for Aldridge/Jack/2008 #1

I really love Jarret Jack though, tough underrated pg and local as well.

And Aldridge + Jack for 3rd + Wright? has some promise I think, that way the 11th could go as a BPA, no pressure.

BIG no to Z-Bo though, bad defender, questionable character, risk of reoccurring knee problem fixed with the microfracture surgery last offseason and maxed out to put the cherry on top.

• Moderators

I agree we definitely don't want Randolph.

I would try to get Aldridge, though. I like him and the Blazers don't need him anymore now that they have Oden. Randolph actually isn't a bad mix with Oden given his ability to score and Oden's ability to defend.