• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Whats the deal with Spencer Hawes?

TheDude

Quote:

You're crazy if you think Noah won't go in the top 10.

Noah may go as early as 5 if we don't take him

Answer me this. Am I wrong to say that you are a UF fan? I believe you've stated that you are in another post. Let's say you are for a bit, but assume that it doesn't cloud your judgment..please explain why you think Noah is so valuable. Please break down the teams #3-10 and explain to me which team will take him. Do not fabricate, just explain his skill set and what team will more than likely take him. I guess it doesn't matter, within 24 hours it will be another player you become obsessed over and start supporting instead of using logic.

Yi, Horford, Wright, Conley will all certainly go ahead of him. So now we are left with spots 7-10.

Brewer, Green, Julian Wright, Hawes could all arguably go before him.

Chicago will only take a big man if he contributes low post offense since that is one of their biggest needs. That has Hawes written all over him if they choose to go center. The Bobcats will not pick him. I really only see the Kings as a possible destination for him in the top 10 as of right now. It's possible he goes top 10, but please quit acting like he is a 2nd coming of someone, and that its beyond reason that he falls out of the top 5. It is very possible and in fact likely that he is there for us at #11 if we choose to go that direction.

I'm all ears if you disagree, just please use something tangible to back it with. (HINT: Not just your opinion.)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to defend busboy, because I do agree with a lot of your points falc82.

The thing I think about is that Patrick O'Bryant and Saer Sene went 9th and 10th in last years draft. Obviously that draft wasn't as deep as this one, but I think you have to agree that even with Noah's offensive deficiencies, that he is leagues better than those two.

I think the NBA really values big men, and they WILL get picked fairly early, particularly if there is a big drop off after that player, which after Oden, Noah, and Hawes, there is a pretty big drop off to the next big man.

I think some of Noah's fundamentals are poor. His shot looks like Chill's???

Re Hawes, he's compared to Brad Miller, and I think that is an apt comparison. He's gonna be a very good player and make the guys around him better. Everything you read talks about his passing and that is something that you rarely see in young guys. I said it earlier and that's the fact that he got sick mid=season and that set him back.

Quote:

Noah couldn't make a shot if you held him over the goal and all he had to do was drop in through the hole. He has zero offensive game.

So I bet you were fooled like me when Al Harrington scored 17 PPG. Bet you overlooked the fact that he couldn't play a lick of D which more than negated that point total.

Noah doesn't have to have a 15 foot jumpshot. The guy is a great finisher around the basket. He doesn't finish awkwardly around the basket like the guy he's always compared to in Varajeo. He powers it home with either hand in a quick, fluid motion.

And on the other end of the floor he is capable of patrolling the paint with his shot blocking ability.

These gifts are why he was considered the #1 pick in last year's draft. Spencer Hawes wouldn't be a #1 pick in ANY draft.

Quote:

Answer me this. Am I wrong to say that you are a UF fan? I believe you've stated that you are in another post. Let's say you are for a bit, but assume that it doesn't cloud your judgment..please explain why you think Noah is so valuable.

He's valuable because you can't teach the hustle that he plays the game with. Want to know how important hustling is? A guy with average athleticism in Anderson Varajeo is capable of playing big time minutes and contribute deep in the playoffs because of his hustle.

Noah is a guy with just as much hustle but a lot more ATHLETICISM. Since he had a late growth spurt he still has a lot of the quickness and passing ability he had when he was a PG. He is a great teammate that could have easily complained when he wasn't more involved with the offense this year. Instead he did all the dirty work setting high screens and rolls letting his teammates get involved.

All the guy cares about is winning.

Quote:

Please break down the teams #3-10 and explain to me which team will take him. Do not fabricate, just explain his skill set and what team will more than likely take him. I guess it doesn't matter, within 24 hours it will be another player you become obsessed over and start supporting instead of using logic.

Yi, Horford, Wright, Conley will all certainly go ahead of him. So now we are left with spots 7-10.

Brewer, Green, Julian Wright, Hawes could all arguably go before him.

That's where you're wrong. There is def no guarantee all those guys go ahead of him considering the CELTICS at #5 will give Noah some serious consideration. And if not there he will more than likely not get by the Bulls.

Ok maybe there isn't a 0% chance he goes in the top 10 because stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't say exactly count on it like it's more than likely going to happen.

Quote:

He's valuable because you can't teach the hustle that he plays the game with. Want to know how important hustling is? A guy with average athleticism in Anderson Varajeo is capable of playing big time minutes and contribute deep in the playoffs because of his hustle.

Noah is a guy with just as much hustle but a lot more ATHLETICISM. Since he had a late growth spurt he still has a lot of the quickness and passing ability he had when he was a PG. He is a great teammate that could have easily complained when he wasn't more involved with the offense this year. Instead he did all the dirty work setting high screens and rolls letting his teammates get involved.

All the guy cares about is winning.

That's where you're wrong. There is def no guarantee all those guys go ahead of him considering the CELTICS at #5 will give Noah some serious consideration. And if not there he will more than likely not get by the Bulls.

Ok maybe there isn't a 0% chance he goes in the top 10 because stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't say exactly count on it like it's more than likely going to happen.

I'll commend you for answering, and I think they are fair answers that do illustrate the value that Noah brings to a team. I still do not change my opinion that he is not going in the top 5, or possibly even the top 10 in this draft. I'm content to agree to disagree and see who's right come draft day though.

In the mean time I'd love to add my two cents. I see you throwing around that Noah was going to be the #1 pick had he come out last year and that being some indication of his talent level. Several things I disagree with here. First, I do not think that Noah was ever going to seriously be the #1 overall pick. I think had he come out you would probably see him at #5 with the Hawks. Bargnani/Thomas/Aldridge were going up the hype machine at the time while people were a little hot/cold on Noah, and meanwhile the Bobcats were set on Morrison. Either way, the fact that he could have gone #1 in a weak draft means nothing for the evaluation of his talent this year since he has had another year in NCAA basketball in which many scouts feel he showed some flaws (mostly as an offensive liability at this point in his career and some think he is overrated defensively although I think he definitely holds his own defensively).

Also, I really don't think the Bulls have any interest in Noah and will most certainly let him go by them. It is well known that the Bulls feel they lack an offensive threat in the low post, not just someone who can score down low but a big with low post moves who they can count on in the half court set. That individual doesn't really fit the profile of Noah very well in my opinion. They could be more a candidate for Hawes if they go the route of center.

Also look for Law to be more likely to jump into the top 10 than Noah, if nothing else then they are equally likely to but I doubt they both do at this point. As I said, we'll see.