• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Thought...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Atlanta after Billups?

Let's think this possibility through for a second.

Maybe Detroit doesn't want to put Billups on the gravy train for the next 4 years. Maybe they feel that he's a good player but like Ben Wallace, they just have to find something else.

Imagine:

Atlanta offers #3, Lo, Aj, Lue, Zaza + Capspace for Big Baller Chauncey Billups and Nazr.

Billups is exactly what BK has been talking about:

Veteran PG (Check)

Defensive (Check)

Big PG (Check)

Can run an offense (Check).

PLus this other small secret....

Mike Woodson knows him and he knows Woodson.

Quote:

“Royal’s going to be a player in our league one day,” Woodson said. “He’s not mistake-prone. He’s a guy that doesn’t take chances and that’s probably why he’s been successful in not turning it over.

“You don’t have to take chances,” he continued.
“I coached Chauncey Billups. He doesn’t take chances. He just makes the basic play. Once in a while he’ll make the home run play, but to me, it’s the basic play that wins basketball games at this level.
When you can get one to five thinking that way then you start to win.”

Think about it. We give Joe 10 million+ dollars worth of ending contracts + the 3rd overall pick, we get Chauncey (SNT) and Nazr.

We can follow this up with a guy like Hawes...

Now..

Billups, JJ, Marvin, JS, Shelden can be the starting 5.

Just a thought.

• Premium Member

Well, when you look back. Shelden played his best at C. I think at some points it OK to have him start there, sometimes, we will play Nazr, and other times, we will play Solomon or Hawes.

I just think it would be interesting to see how our team responds with better experienced PG play. Maybe we regret it if we see Conley Jr. and Law blowup... then again, maybe instead of Hawes we get Critt also?? I don't know...

• Premium Member

The price paid versus the potential reward is too great, imo. Considerably too great.

First, the #3 is itself huge. Then, ZaZa is about as unappreciated a player as I can ever remember playing for the good guys.

And just overall, I think the underlying assumption places too great an emphasis on the point to the deficit of the need for a strong compliment for ZaZa. It's not as-if we're without options at either place in the line-up... but rather, we just need to improve those options as substantially as possible.

It's just a misnomer to consider one such an overwhelming priority over the other.

But again... if there were a cheaper (and, if possible, younger) Billips clone out there, I think BK needs to be all over that.

I think that Billups has seen his best years. You know that he is going to want alot of money and you don't give a aging veteran a big contract it WILL destroy your franchise. Billups blossomed late in his career but he is injury prone and we don't want to sign him just for him to be hurt when we need him.

Quote:

I'd be hesitant to add the #11 in that deal. Definitely wouldn't trade the #3 for a few years of Billups. I'd rather get Conley / Critt / Law / Jack and save a ton of money to help keep the talent we do have together.

I agree, the number 11 packaged with a young player would be a better fit. A number 3 pick for a 31 year old player that isn't a superstar is just not something you do.

HELL NO!

give up that much for a guy that old?

You've got to be kidding me.

I'd just take a 10+ year younger version of the guy in Law AND take a big man AND Keep Pachulia and all that other stuff you have us giving up.

I'd smack BK senseless if he gave up that much for a guy that old.