• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Reasons for Some Not Wanting Yi?

ncthompson11

• Premium Member

If Yi can play Center or not.

With our offense, defensive scheme, that doesn't mean so much. You can call it a 3 forward set if you like...

We zone up on Defense, and on offense, we run uptempo. Yi is Yi. At a tre 7 foot with Athleticism and Smoove playing Rover in a Triangle and 2 zone, hell... we'd can play with everybody and beat just about anybody.

If we stick to the idea of needing a C, we will never be a complete team because we will never find a "real" C.

If we have a loss at the "Center" position, guess how big of a win we have at Pf with an Athletic 7 footer who has low post moves and moves off the dribble.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

And Garnett, Dirk, and Bosh all play DOWN LOW

Dirk shoots 83% jumpshots, he does NOT play down low. Bosh and KG are nothing like Yi.

Bosh and KG are nothing like Yi?

Why because you know they DO play down low?

Yi's game is a lot more similar to BOsh than it is Dirk like people are comparing him to.

People just compare him to Dirk because he's an international prospect. People don't dare compare one of those international players to an American player.

Why is Bosh so good? Because he dribbles well for a big man and he takes his man off the dribble taking it strong to the basket.

KG does the same or he posts his man up and hits a turnaround jumper. Or he hits a pull up jumper or he takes his man off the dribble and pulls up for a jumper.

Guess what? Yi Jianlian does the same freaking thing!

Yi Jianlian also has a tendency to take his man off the dribble and he also finishes strong above the rim with his freakish athleticism.

But because he's Chinese no one would dare compare him to an American player because surely someone Chinese has inferior athleticism.

Wrong!

• Premium Member

Quote:

People just compare him to Dirk because he's an international prospect. People don't dare compare one of those international players to an American player.

Actually it's because I don't want to draft another PROJECT forward. People insist on comparing Brandan Wright to Bosh also, and I've been shooting that crap down too. Where will we have the time to develop Yi if we are competing for the playoffs next year? WHERE?

Quote:

Why is Bosh so good? Because he dribbles well for a big man and he takes his man off the dribble taking it strong to the basket.

He also plays PF, NOT center. Bosh would be destroyed down low by centers, and he already is destroyed defensively by opposing PFs, Bosh is a horrible defender.

Quote:

Yi Jianlian also has a tendency to take his man off the dribble and he also finishes strong above the rim with his freakish athleticism.

He finishes strong? Hmm, from the Youtube video? There is no telling how many times he's had the ball stolen, blocked, missed the layup, or lost the ball. All you see is the special times where he finished. Stop making rediculous arguments that you have no idea if they are true.

Quote:

He finishes strong? Hmm, from the Youtube video? There is no telling how many times he's had the ball stolen, blocked, missed the layup, or lost the ball. All you see is the special times where he finished. Stop making rediculous arguments that you have no idea if they are true.

I've got a strong feeling you've only seen 2 or 3 minutes of his highlights. There are over 20 minutes of stuff. Watch his 18 moves video. It's nice. I've seen him dunk about 50 times now. About 45 of those were strong two handed dunks. You say Smoove can't play 3 and Yi can't play 4. you are wrong on both counts. They can both play either position.

Quote:

Where will we have the time to develop Yi if we are competing for the playoffs next year? WHERE?

This is your problem. We aren't going to sniff the playoffs next year. 35 - 47 is the best we will do with WHOEVER is left in the draft or free agency. Conley will bring us nothing, except about 47 losses. Not to mention, there are 3 pg prospects. We have a pick at 11. It's not that hard. Remember when I first got on the board and told everyone we sucked and had no chance to compete this year? Well, did we? Same script next year. We are the 4th worst team, PERIOD. We need talent. I don't know if Yi is it, but it's not Conley or Wright or any of the others.

Stop labeling. He is no more of a project than any other in this draft. You think Conley is going to do what Paul or Deron is doing?

How is he going to lead the team when his primary way of leading is to slow it down and dump it in to a big center?

Where exactly do we have one of those?

We draft Conley and it's all about developing him while Speedy and A.J. play.

Keep in mind, no one on our team defends well. Why do you expect more from Yi than you do our team?

If you don't think Yi finishes strong then I really don't know what to tell you. I can tell you that our boy Marvin could learn a thing or two from Yi.

Quote:

The only reason people call hawes and yi soft is because they are not black. They dont look like imposing figures so people assume they are can not defend

Any way you look at it, this comes into play. Change Speedy's color and call him Craig, and he's not in the league.

Quote:

If Yi can play Center or not.

With our offense, defensive scheme, that doesn't mean so much. You can call it a 3 forward set if you like...

We zone up on Defense, and on offense, we run uptempo. Yi is Yi. At a tre 7 foot with Athleticism and Smoove playing Rover in a Triangle and 2 zone, hell... we'd can play with everybody and beat just about anybody.

If we stick to the idea of needing a C, we will never be a complete team because we will never find a "real" C.

If we have a loss at the "Center" position, guess how big of a win we have at Pf with an Athletic 7 footer who has low post moves and moves off the dribble.

I'm with you, D. Where is all the talk about the crap zones we run. It's not like we are manning up in people's grills. Why couldn't he play 3, 4, or a little 5. Al Harrington played some 2 for us. He played some 5 for Golden State.

And let me remind everyone that Zaza sucks so hard at defending anything.

It's like people think we're the Pistons "Bad Boys" or something. We are a soft team. Yi will make us no softer. And we can still get the PG. What's the debate?

He has the most upside, TP. You know, you've kind of helped me to look at it this way. I don't really care what happens while the ASG is in control. I just hope they don't F it up too bad. How is taking the best talent left hurting you long term? We aren't making the playoffs this year or next so it really doesn't matter to me. We need to make moves. Whether we trade Yi or Marvin or whoever. I see nothing good coming for at least 3 more years, so I'm thinking of the future.

Just watch the 18 moves tape, TP and tell me he can't play. I hear what you are saying about playing center but I don't really think it matters. Even if he did, he could be no worse than Zaza. So, if he is no worse than our starting center...?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I've got a strong feeling you've only seen 2 or 3 minutes of his highlights. There are over 20 minutes of stuff. Watch his 18 moves video. It's nice.

4 years playing and 20 minutes of video. Tells you nothing about a prospect. I could show you a bunch of clips from Jamal Crawford and make him look like Michael Jordan.

Quote:

I've seen him dunk about 50 times now. About 45 of those were strong two handed dunks.

I wonder how many times he's been blocked, stolen, missed the layup, or just lost the ball? Again, there is no way to tell by just watching highlights.

Quote:

You say Smoove can't play 3 and Yi can't play 4. you are wrong on both counts. They can both play either position.

I've never said that. I simply think Smith is more effective at the 4, and I DO think Yi will be a 4. I don't want to draft ANOTHER forward with our pick.

Quote:

We aren't going to sniff the playoffs next year.

Because you are miss Cleo?

Quote:

Conley will bring us nothing, except about 47 losses.

More palm reading..

Quote:

Remember when I first got on the board and told everyone we sucked and had no chance to compete this year? Well, did we?

You joined in December when we had our worst run of the year, many were down on the team, I just didn't want to tank. We were also in the process of being bombarded with injuries which also made your claim not hard to argue with.

Quote:

He is no more of a project than any other in this draft. You think Conley is going to do what Paul or Deron is doing?

Noone expected Paul or Deron to be this good either. Deron's stats weren't any better than Conleys. Conley is pretty much even with Paul at everything except shooting. Deron's 3p% was horrible after his junior year in Illinois.

Quote:

How is he going to lead the team when his primary way of leading is to slow it down and dump it in to a big center?

WTF, I'm so sick of people using this. Conley played half the season without Oden, and Oden was pretty much in foul trouble throughout the tourney. Conley certainly proved he could shine without Oden. That really is a left-field argument.

Quote:

We draft Conley and it's all about developing him while Speedy and A.J. play.

When does Speedy play?

Quote:

Keep in mind, no one on our team defends well. Why do you expect more from Yi than you do our team?

So you'd like to draft another forward that does nothing to help our team defense?

from time to time, as well. lol! It's life, TP. Strange things happen. I know I'm kind of on an island here but so what? I'm not drafting him. I'm just stirthepot.gif a little.

Also, I know a thing or two about the game and I really like what I've seen. I'll put it to you this way... no one else has outshined him from what I've seen. Hey, if we were a real team I would trade the picks for a veteran that was to my liking. But we're not and I want talent. Even if it is Chinese.

Atlas, your post tells me that you have NOT watched his highlights. I play the game. I'm not going "ooooh" and sh!t. I'm looking at his footwork, his release, his jab step separation, etc.

A few people expected Deron and Paul to be this good. Wasn't Paul the ACC player of the year? Didn't Deron go practically undefeated.

I saw Conley get tore up at times by Tennessee's freshman point guard both games. Guess what, he's not in the NBA.

It doesn't take Miss Cleo. You are just being an ass now. How many checks have been listed in the ASG, BK, Woody, Zaza, Marvin, Smoove, Speedy, Lue, Lo, Shelden sucks column?

We are a horrible basketball team from a very fundamental standpoint. That's how i know, AtLaS.

Dude, you argued up and down with me that Smoove was "too slow" to hang with 3's. WTF? If you watched Yi and watched Smoove, you should know that Smoove and Yi mesh better that Smoove and Marvin. Smoove likes to stand on the wing and pass to people that want to dunk or cut. Marvin likes to stand in the same general area and doesn't like to go down low. No dynamic. This is one reason why I don't see Joe, Smoove, and Marvin leading us to anything.

Honestly, nobody on this site has seen enough of the kid to form an opinion. All I know is we don't need another forward. I can say that with 100% certainty.

In my view, anybody touting this kid is doing it on blind faith. And we dont need him. If we take another forward that knocks a lottery pick out of the rotation.

I have a hard time believing you want another forward especially when you don't even know how he plays. Have you watched any defensive clips? I know that isn't as important as dunking on some lousy competition but...

Agreed. He may suck hard. I only saw like 2 defensive plays out of all the highlights. But you know, there probably aren't many Bosh highlights on that end. Would you take him?

This is another argument, but I just don't see Joe, Smoove, and Marvin meshing. Their games don't work. Joe and Marvin like to catch and shoot, or in Joe's case, pound a little too, then shoot. Marvin just doesn't seem to want to go down low on offense. That's what we need. From what I've seen, which is minimal, Yi hangs around the basket. I can't stress enough how much I like the way he goes up with two hands virtually every time. Marvin needs to do this! If he's not, we're not going to win. Someone has to be there. All we do is take jumpers, TP. Yi would change the dynamic.

As of right now, he's the best player I've seen from a draft standpoint, outside of the top 2. Again, I'm looking 4 years down the road.