• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If the Raps Took Bargnani Surely we Must Take.....

LastDon

YI!!!!!!!!!! I think that he is the guy that has the most upside besides Durant, and Oden. He also will help a finiancially strap team generate cash. I have seen Yi and Bargnani both in action and I think that Yi is a far better prospect than him. If Bargnani can go #1. we can take this guy at number 3. Too many people are ready to jump off of taking a euro prospect because college basketball is back. Don't be siilly though guys, these Euro prospects can still play and be great in the NBA. Jus because the college game is back good don't think that Europe is falling off. The teams that realize this will get some Diamonds in the ruff in future drafts. I'm going on the record stating that Yi will be better than Durant!

The Raps were also a team that was loaded with guys at forward with Gram,Peterson,Parker,Bosh,Humphreys and they took another forward in Bargnani. It turned out wonderfully for them and I think it could do the same for us. Even if this guy doesn't start, bringing in a guy at this size, with versality would be a tremendous addition good for at least 10 a night off the bench.

I think that our team would benifit more from a coach who preferrs an uptempo style of play. I think that its vital that this mentality be establish this summer and in training camp. The players that we have on the team games are all suited for this style. With all this being said I think Yi would be excellent regardless of positon for this team if this approach is taken!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with your comparison somewhat. Toronto already has Chris Bosh as the 4 of the future and Bargnani is less of a big than Yi is. Bargnani might as well be 6'7. They also spent a mid 1st on Joey Graham as a SF. Parker is also a tweener SG/SF. They also had Mo Pete at the time, another SG/SF. Chris Bosh is a fabulous player but he is MAYBE 225-230. I feel like I saw Toronto have him man the middle a number of times throughout the season.

That makes no sense !

The Raptors tooks some foreign, soft 7 footer. Therfor, surely, we must take some foreign, soft 7 footer too.

The Raptors aleready had their PG, TJ Ford and had a young, all star post presence in Chris Bosh.

Those are the 2 most important parts of building a franchise. Unfortunatly, the Hawks have neither of those 2 parts. The easiest pieces to find are wing players. Their will be an abundance of them in every draft.

The hard pieces to fill are at PG and a true low post presence, which neither Yi or Bargani are. The Raprors took Bargani b/c they already have their low post presence for the next 10 years in Chirs Bosh. Conglangelo also realized the importance of a heady PG to run the team and maximize the entire roster's talent by geting a true PG in TJ Ford. Forget that TJ Forf is small and can't shoot consistently, he adds structure to their team and maximizes the roster's talent. You realy think a sart GM, such as Colangelo, would leave the PG duties up to: AJ, Lue, and the broken down Claxton (no longer "Speedy")????

There is no doubt Colangelo would pick Conley 3rd if he were the Hawks GM or trade it for a true low post presence, ( Gasoland use the #11 for a PG.

I am not against foreign players. For instance, I love Tony Parker and Nash as PGs. Who would'nt ? I love Gasol as a true post presence.

But Bargani nor Yi are post players. Nor would the fit the positions of a PG or Center, the only positions needed to compete the assembly of a true team.

It is crazy how people support a gur they have never seen play true 5 on 5 game against vs. real competition.

Even if you have seen him play a whole game it was vs. Chinese competition which may be equal to Division IIA college basketball.

• Premium Member

The Raptors also had a position to play Bargs. We have nowhere on our roster for a project forward. We are planning on making the playoffs next year, not developing a 7'0 soft player at a position that is redundant.

Quote:

The Raptors also had a position to play Bargs. We have nowhere on our roster for a project forward. We are planning on making the playoffs next year, not developing a 7'0 soft player at a position that is redundant.

Agree 100000000 %

Bargnani and Yi are about the same size and Bargani made first team all rookie. Yi is no doubt in my mind a better player from watching both players in CBA finals and Raps first round matchup.

All I'm saying is Yi can make a impact in the NBA Next Season with the potential to be a superstar if Bargnani performance during this season is any indication about what a guy with this size,strength(both are weak), and skill can do when recieving playing time. Also why reach for a point when Law and Crittenton will be their at 11??? If you guys man Connelly is taken at 11 which a seriously doubt because he stock will come tumbling down once workout start. Connelly is a product of the hype machine. Brandon Wright and Connelly stock will fall once workouts start garanteed!!!!!!

Quote:

smartest thing you ever wrote.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Bargnani and Yi are about the same size and Bargani made first team all rookie.

Do you realize how bad the rookie class was this year? I guess not. Bargnani is 7'0 tall and couldn't even average FOUR REBOUNDS. He also only shot 42%. He hangs around the perimeter and shoots 3's, he doesn't play defense, and he can't rebound to save his LIFE.

Europe

800px-LocationEurope_transparent.png

China

china.gif

I know most American basketball fans use 'Euro' for any non North American player but it is annoying to any person from there.

Comparing European basketball with Chinese basketball is just wrong. The CBA is very weak, it's not even the best Asian league.

However Yi did better than Bargnani did in Italy and Europe, but then again the difference in league quality is very high. I posted Yi's stats from the last World Championship and they were nothing impressive. Yi's stats from CBA finals game 1-4 (posted on a Yao Ming forum ):

game 1

Yi 24 pts, 8 reb

Wang 22 pts, 8 reb

game 2

Yi 19 pst, 14 reb

Wang Zhizhi 9 pts, 8 reb

game 3

Yi 20 pts, 7 reb, 6-16 fg

Wang 27 pts, 12 reb, 10-17 fg

game 4

Yi 19 pts, 9 reb, 7-11 fg

Wang 34 pts, 15 reb, 10-18 fg

(stats from game 5 weren't posted or I missed them)

So Yi can't seem to handle Wang Zhizhi, the ex-Dallas player, on defense but some guys here think, that he can come here, start at center and play good defense. (you can download CBA playoff games including in finals in this thread)

CBA stats (from asia-basket):

scoring

1. Anthony Myles 32.1

2. Gabe Muoneke 31.6

3.Tang Zhengdong 28.1

4. Brandon Crump 27.4

5. Wang Zhizhi 26.6

?. Yi Jianlian 24.8 (4th best chinese)

rebounds

1.Brandon Crump 14.4

2.Babakar Camara 13.6

3.Soumaila Samake 13.5

4.Chris Porter 12.9

5. Herve Lamizana 11.4

5. Yi Jianlian 11.4 (best chinese)

Comment from an asia-basket writer:

"[...]This year, similar propects in China's 6-10 Yi Jianlian and 6-9 Sun Yue become eligible for the 2007 NBA Draft, one of the deepest drafts in recent history. These two prospects are different then the previous Chinese players, mainly because they are widely coveted for their perimeter and ball handling skills rather then post moves and interior defense.[...]"

Maybe Yi can become a good NBA player but please guys don't fool yourself, he'll not be a NBA center.

• Premium Member

Thank you for that post, really good. Hopefully the "play Yi at Center" group will be quiet. The guy got dominated by the NBA castoff Wang Zhi Zhi. Again, I don't want ANOTHER forward.

• Premium Member

Yao is 7'5"!! Has there EVER been a player that tall that didn't play center? Yao doesn't even NEED post moves because he's so tall, all he has is a good turnaround shot and a little hook, they are unblockable.

Quote:

Europe

800px-LocationEurope_transparent.png

China

china.gif

I know most American basketball fans use 'Euro' for any non North American player but it is annoying to any person from there.

Comparing European basketball with Chinese basketball is just wrong. The CBA is very weak, it's not even the best Asian league.

However Yi did better than Bargnani did in Italy and Europe, but then again the difference in league quality is very high. I posted Yi's stats from the last World Championship and they were nothing impressive. Yi's stats from CBA finals game 1-4 (posted on a Yao Ming
forum
):

game 1

Yi 24 pts, 8 reb

Wang 22 pts, 8 reb

game 2

Yi 19 pst, 14 reb

Wang Zhizhi 9 pts, 8 reb

game 3

Yi 20 pts, 7 reb, 6-16 fg

Wang 27 pts, 12 reb, 10-17 fg

game 4

Yi 19 pts, 9 reb, 7-11 fg

Wang 34 pts, 15 reb, 10-18 fg

(stats from game 5 weren't posted or I missed them)

So Yi can't seem to handle Wang Zhizhi, the ex-Dallas player, on defense but some guys here think, that he can come here, start at center and play good defense. (you can download CBA playoff games including in finals in
this
thread)

CBA stats (from asia-basket):

scoring

1. Anthony Myles 32.1

2. Gabe Muoneke 31.6

3.Tang Zhengdong 28.1

4. Brandon Crump 27.4

5. Wang Zhizhi 26.6

?. Yi Jianlian 24.8 (4th best chinese)

rebounds

1.Brandon Crump 14.4

2.Babakar Camara 13.6

3.Soumaila Samake 13.5

4.Chris Porter 12.9

5. Herve Lamizana 11.4

5. Yi Jianlian 11.4 (best chinese)

Comment from an asia-basket writer:

"[...]This year, similar propects in China's 6-10 Yi Jianlian and 6-9 Sun Yue become eligible for the 2007 NBA Draft, one of the deepest drafts in recent history. These two prospects are different then the previous Chinese players, mainly because they are widely coveted for their perimeter and ball handling skills
rather then post moves and interior defense
.[...]"

Maybe Yi can become a good NBA player but please guys don't fool yourself, he'll not be a NBA center.

Glad to know where Crump and Porter are! Thanks for the link!

If we stay at the 3 of course Yi has to be the only option. A 7' with his skills is rare. He is better than Bargnani(sp?),imo. Brandan Wright is way too skiny to be a 4 and didn't really do anything in college to say he's #3. Conley is nice but unless it just kills it in workouts I just don't see it happening.

Yi at #3 and Crittenton at #11

What these Yi haters don't realize is that he doesn't have to play center.

Josh Smith with 15 more pounds in this new era of basketball is plenty big enough to play center.

Can anyone say that Josh Smith with 15 more pounds (or even right now) is a worst defender than Zaza Pachulia?

First of all, Josh Smith has something that Zaza will never have. DESIRE TO PLAY DEFENSE. Add the athleticism and the knack he has for blocking shots and the only thing he would have to really improve is his defensive positioning which is something that can very well be learned.

In fact, I think it would be better for him. Josh has average lateral quickness on D at SF but he would have elite lateral quickness for a big man. Just like his ball handling may be average to below for a 3 but it would be elite for a post player allowing him to take his man off the dribble with ease. Also keeps him near the basket where he can elevate with pretty much anyone.

Josh Smith at 5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zaza Pachulia at the 5.

Yi Jianlian is more than capable of playing the 4.

He's projected as a 4 by just about every NBA scout.

• Premium Member

Quote:

LOL, I thought Yi was a 5..

Now that your "Yi at center" projection was shot down, Josh Smith can play center? You dig deeper everytime you post on this matter. Josh Smith is NOT a center and he isn't going to play there.

Quote:

Quote:

LOL, I thought Yi was a 5..

Now that your "Yi at center" projection was shot down, Josh Smith can play center? You dig deeper everytime you post on this matter. Josh Smith is NOT a center and he isn't going to play there.

Im not saying Yi can't play center.

I'm saying he wouldn't even have to.

Why can't Josh not play center?

"He just can't" isn't a real reason.

You're out your damn mind if you think Zaza Pachulia would be a better interior defender than JOsh Smith who patrols the paint and his lack of presence when he's not in the game is the reason why teams really attack the basket.

You want to talk about dig deep, you're going to have to dig REAL deep to come up with a real argument of how Zaza Pachulia is a better interior defender than Josh Smith.

Josh Smith is a guy who has the upside of an Amare Stoudemire because of his athleticism, but even more because his elevator just takes another floor even higher than Amare's. And he may already be a better interior defender than Amare.

You say I have all these fanciful ideas but we moved Josh to the 4, (something I said we should do a long time ago) and it seemed to work out just fine.

I think at the 5 he would have even more success because the disparity between his athleticism and his opposition would be even more, and the requirement for lateral quickness would be even less.

Quote:

You want to talk about dig deep, you're going to have to dig REAL deep to come up with a real argument of how Zaza Pachulia is a better interior defender than Josh Smith.

You've got him there, but he's got you here:

Quote:

Josh Smith is NOT a center and he isn't going to play there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------