• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can Gasol play D

asdogg

I have not seen much of him. I know he can score but can he alter opp shots in the lane. Thats what we need rather than a scorer; having an inside out game with Gasol and Joe would be awesome but I dont know if would help us win more games.

Also did you guys read Sekou's blog. He thinks its crazy to trade the pick for a proven vet.

I think Sekou is dead wrong.We need NBA experince not some 19 year old with a deer in the head lights look. We already are the youngest team in the NBA. Its not in our interest to draft some future star and wait and hope he develops.

Yeah I was kinda taken aback by his statement about not trading for a vet...I mean, why not try get a Gasol-type player? As for Gasol's defense, he does average over 2 blocks a game, so maybe that helps. We can't really base his defense off of his experiences with the Grizzlies because they play about as much defense as a handicapped 1-A high school basketball team. I only see Gasol occasionally, but in the playoffs last year (against the Spurs) he looked gaunt and clueless about what he was doing. I think he was injured then.

I also hate that beard he has. He looks awful with it.

Anyway, Gasol is worth checking out. He only makes 13 mill next year. I think he stated he wants to stay with MEM though

• Premium Member

Quote:

Anyway, Gasol is worth checking out. He only makes 13 mill next year. I think he stated he wants to stay with MEM though

I'm beginning to think that Gasol is a stat guy like Garnett and not a player that will win games because he does what his position ask of him like a Duncan

• Premium Member

I guess being the primary option and pretty much only legit player on those Memphis teams counts for nothing when he took his team to the playoffs 3 straight seasons in the West. It's hard to score when a team shuts down the rest of your players and forces you to do everything.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I guess being the primary option and pretty much only legit player on those Memphis teams counts for nothing when he took his team to the playoffs 3 straight seasons in the West. It's hard to score when a team shuts down the rest of your players and forces you to do everything.

I just watched him against the hawks and Shelden Willaims Shut him down!

Quote:

Also did you guys read Sekou's blog. He thinks its crazy to trade the pick for a proven vet. I think Sekou is dead wrong.

I agree with Sekou. There is a reason why a team would trade a "top" veteran for a draft pick - they think the draft pick is a better player (for them). Regardless, the wild card in all this is BK - do you trust him more to make a draft pick or not to get raped in a trade. No-one is going to trade us a starting center better than ZaZa, they are just too rare. And how many PGs in the league do you really want? - then figure out if they are actually available for a draft pick, how many years they have left, and are they better than Speedy/AJ? I am tired of getting Speedy/Lo/Lue/AJ type players, we don't need anymore role players. Our bench is full (of what ... who knows?), I would rather take the picks and best case they become valuable contributors and worst case they sit on the bench along with Lo and Lue.

It's a choice: in one case (trade) you take the 90+% chance that you get a half step better; in the other case (draft) you take a 50% chance at getting a full step better but 50% chance of getting nothing. I'm a risk taker - besides after Marvin and Shelden, we are due.

• Premium Member

Us dropping Gasol down into the Paint in the middle of a 2-1-2 matchup zone, let Smoove play off his man and rover for 2 on 1 double teams.

Gasol is big, he's a shot blocker and most importantly, he knows how to keep his man in front of him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I agree with Sekou. There is a reason why a team would trade a "top" veteran for a draft pick - they think the draft pick is a better player (for them).

This could not be more wrong. Normally when top veterans are traded for picks, it's not about the pick.. in fact, lots of time, the identity of the pick is unknown so it has nothing to do with the pick. More often than not It's either:

1. Financial.

2. Player dynamic.

3. Team dynamic.

1. Financial. As you can understand, every GM has the responsibility to manage the day by day going ons of the team. In Gasol, JO's, and KG's case, they are being looked at to be traded because of their financial picture. IN short, "why are we paying this much money if we're not winning". The player can be a great player, but if the team can't manage to put a team around the player and the team is losing money, the best out is to trade the player. If we are not out of the lottery by next year, JJ has to be traded. It doesn't make financial since to keep a high dollar player if you're not winning.

2. Player Dynamic. The player dynamic is my way of saying the player wants out. This is definitely the case for Gasol. Gasol has asked to be traded. This is also true of Lewis. Lewis has asked to be traded, Seattle didn't oblige so Lewis opted out this offseason. Somehow, he will go to PTL. Normally, when a player wants out, it's best to give him what he wants.

3. Team Dynamic. This is my way to say that the team can get along without them. Normally, this is fueled by financial reasons also. A great example is the trade of Al. You see this alot. When there are players waiting in the wings who are ready to mature. Some of this is what's driving the trade of Zebo. Some of this is what has Jason Terry on the trade blocks.

But for Sekou to say that players are traded for picks because the picks are seen as being better for that team IS NAIVE...

Quote:

Quote:

Also did you guys read Sekou's blog. He thinks its crazy to trade the pick for a proven vet. I think Sekou is dead wrong.

I agree with Sekou. There is a reason why a team would trade a "top" veteran for a draft pick - they think the draft pick is a better player (for them). Regardless, the wild card in all this is BK - do you trust him more to make a draft pick or not to get raped in a trade. No-one is going to trade us a starting center better than ZaZa, they are just too rare. And how many PGs in the league do you really want? - then figure out if they are actually available for a draft pick, how many years they have left, and are they better than Speedy/AJ? I am tired of getting Speedy/Lo/Lue/AJ type players, we don't need anymore role players. Our bench is full (of what ... who knows?), I would rather take the picks and best case they become valuable contributors and worst case they sit on the bench along with Lo and Lue.

It's a choice: in one case (trade) you take the 90+% chance that you get a half step better; in the other case (draft) you take a 50% chance at getting a full step better but 50% chance of getting nothing. I'm a risk taker - besides after Marvin and Shelden, we are due.

Elton Brand was traded for the #2 pick which became Tyson Chandler. Why? The Bulls thought Brand wasn't going to take them anywhere and they fell in love with the athletic 7'1 HSer. If some team happens to fall in love with Yi(which I think some team will think he's the next Dirk) or even Conley then maybe just maybe BK can fleece a team out of a player who could carry us over the hump.

He will block some shots coming from the help side, but in a straight up man on man situation, Pau Gasol gets abused by whoever he is guarding. It doesn't matter if it is a point guard or a center, Pau Gasol gets abused.

Pau gives little to no effort on defense, and that's why he and Mike Fratello clashed in Memphis.

Pau's defense can be described as "Olay" defense.

Quote:

He will block some shots coming from the help side, but in a straight up man on man situation, Pau Gasol gets abused by whoever he is guarding. It doesn't matter if it is a point guard or a center, Pau Gasol gets abused.

Pau gives little to no effort on defense, and that's why he and Mike Fratello clashed in Memphis.

Pau's defense can be described as "Olay" defense.

He would fit in well in Atlanta then.