• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Taking Marvin over Paul Part 2: The Insanity

TheDude

For the love of god people, stop talking about picking best available player or best talent at #3. When we picked Marvin over Paul, in my opinion we were still in the talent gathering stage of our team and didnt necessarily NEED to fill a position of need. Yet we still get continually bashed for it by media, fans, and announcers.

Yet oddly, this year when our team is closer to needing to fill positions of need rather than BPA talent/potential, we have fans actually wanting a part 2 of that scenario which would totaly be a disaster.

I can understand not wanting to take Conley at 3. I can understand thinking we can get a good player at 3 and still getting a point at 11. But whether it be through trade or just using the picks, BOTH PICKS MUST BE USED TO FILL OUT OUR NEEDS. We are a cusp of playoff team now and areas of weakness need to be addressed. Yes i understand that Conley or a drafted center may not come in and make an immediate contribution, but they will be better by the end of the season and if we don't get those needs filled now, then when? Next year? The year after that?

And it has been said a million times but yet not addressed by those of differing opinions. If we draft another godforbid forward, where in the hell are they going to get minutes?

The only reason we draft a forward is to IMMEDIATELY trade him for veteran point or center.

Good post.

I think people need to recognize that Deron Williams is a better PG than Chris Paul. He has that killer-instinct look in his eyes, is stronger, and is on a better team. The Hornets have done nothing these past 2 years to impress me, although I got MaD love for N.O.

As for the rest of your post, we really do need to fill the needs. Getting Zack Randolph will just logjam everything. I would like to see Shelden this coming year and see if he has anything to offer. He is not a bad player. Solomon...Hopefully he's stronger.

I wish BK would be more bold in making blockbuster trades or trades of significance

Guest Walter

Quote:

For the love of god people, stop talking about picking best available player or best talent at #3. When we picked Marvin over Paul, in my opinion we were still in the talent gathering stage of our team and didnt necessarily NEED to fill a position of need.

You don't think we still need talent?

Our top 2 players are less than all the top 10 team's top 2 players.

You don't think we still need talent?!?

Just because we TRIED to get talent doesn't mean we got it, enough of it, or got it right. Hell, BK's lotto picks have been so GD awful it stands to reason we still need talent aside from our record and our top 2 players being poor performers compared to contending teams.

There was no talent difference between MW and Paul/Deron no matter what silly hype you bought into. Sorry you were wrong then and you continue to be wrong now with a naive comparison. Conley is NOT clearly any more or less talented than the other two Pgs and NONE OF THE PGs are remotely as talented as either Yi or Wright. Compare apples to oranges because they are both fruits if you want, but the comparison is juvenile.

W

we would have made the playoffs last year with the talent we had if not for injuries AND in the face of bad coaching. so APPARENTLY there must be some sort of talent on the team whether you want to buy into it or not.

you are such a tool Wally. you state your opinion as if it's some sort of godsend overly obvious fact, just like you always do (see quote on my sig). MOST folks had Marvin as the FUTURE best talent in the entire draft, let alone over chris paul/deron williams...and there are several folk who beleive that Conley IS more talented than Law/Crittendon whether YOUR OPINION is not the same or not. I don't see sportswriters or fans calling for us to take Law with the third pick, do you Wally?

and i'm not even saying pick conley at 3. I'm saying we are in the stage of our team that we need to go ahead and fill positions.....oh Wally Wally Wally..

oh and i love this line by the way- "Compare apples to oranges because they are both fruits if you want, but the comparison is juvenile." i love it when Wally tries to be witty. good ol' Witty Wally.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Conley is NOT clearly any more or less talented than the other two Pgs and NONE OF THE PGs are remotely as talented as either Yi or Wright.

Since you were right about Chris Paul, I guess you're right about Conley too. rolleyes.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

we would have made the playoffs last year with the talent we had if not for injuries AND in the face of bad coaching.

Quit being silly.

Quote:

so APPARENTLY there must be some sort of talent on the team

Yes, I agree. Our top two players are statistically middle of the pack per Roland rating. None of the top ten team's top 2 players are as unproductive as JJ and JS combined. My argument is that:

1) a team's top 2 players' production largely indicates that team's ability to contend. That is reflected in the fact that ALL top 10 teams have a better 1, 2 punch than we do.

2) IF we want to contend we cannot rest upon our laurels and proceed with JJ and JS as our top two players. I suggest we keep both but seek to supplant one of if not both of them with a player with superstar potential.

Whether you want to buy into it or not, those are the facts. We have two players that place us squarely in mediocrity. That is clearly better than the 4th worst record, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it places us anywhere else but AT BEST mediocrity assuming the rest of the team plays up to the mediocre level doing their roles that JJ and JS represent for a team's top two players.

Quote:

you are such a tool Wally. you state your opinion as if it's some sort of godsend overly obvious fact, just like you always do (see quote on my sig). MOST folks had Marvin as the FUTURE best talent in the entire draft, let alone over chris paul/deron williams...and there are several folk who beleive that Conley IS more talented than Law/Crittendon whether YOUR OPINION is not the same or not. I don't see sportswriters or fans calling for us to take Law with the third pick, do you Wally?

Call me what you want and make absurdist nonsense arguments, but I have been right FAR more than wrong. You would do well to listen as you haven't been. "Most folks" are the first words in an excuse. Let's not set ourselves up for needing another one because you can't stand me being right, again.

W

it's not that i can't stand you being right Wally. it's that i can't stand your obnoxious, snooty way of explaining your OPINION (please go look up that word).

you need to learn how to express yourself in way that doesnt invite someone putting a target on your back.

and as i said in your other post, your roland ratings do NOT take in account that our "stars" are not fully developed yet. you act like we drafted Marvin 10 years ago and Shelden 7 years ago.

Guest Walter

Uh, Roy, Deng, Iggy, Deron, Paul, are better than both of SW and MW. At some point you have to question whether your "talent hopefuls" aren't worth passing on better talent when...

Quote:

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 1ST PG TAKEN AND THE 2ND OR 3RD PG TAKEN IS NEGLIGABLE! THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TALENT LEVEL AT 3 AND 11 IS TREMENDOUS!

Nobody can refute this. Nobody. Can you? Can you refute this assertion? Is the talent difference between 3 and 11 less than the talent difference between the 1st Pg takent and the 2nd or 3rd Pg taken?

Why I bother sometimes I'll never understand.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Uh, Roy, Deng, Iggy, Deron, Paul, are better than both of SW and MW. At some point you have to question whether your "talent hopefuls" aren't worth passing on better talent when...

Quote:

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 1ST PG TAKEN AND THE 2ND OR 3RD PG TAKEN IS NEGLIGABLE! THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TALENT LEVEL AT 3 AND 11 IS TREMENDOUS!

Nobody can refute this. Nobody. Can you? Can you refute this assertion? Is the talent difference between 3 and 11 less than the talent difference between the 1st Pg takent and the 2nd or 3rd Pg taken?

Why I bother sometimes I'll never understand.

W

I'm telling you Walt, Its all about Josh Smith. Poster are afraid that if we draft another Forward at #3, Josh Smith might either be benched or traded!

• Premium Member

Quote:

People on here whined in the past about Billy consistently drafting SF/PF's and now
THEY WANT ANOTHER ONE?!?!

We only have one power forward on the roster and that is Shelden Williams. I don't know what josh Smith is!

Of course you don't know what Josh Smith is because you don't know jack. Your pissing on a 21 year old player who plays his ass off and fills up the box score on a nightly basis. That confuses you somehow.

So, get in a long line of about two people who don't appreciate what Josh Smith is bringing to the table. Its not enough we hear this Yi stupidity, now JS needs to go because he isn't....what isn't he again?

The looney birds have all come out at once.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Of course you don't know what Josh Smith is because you don't know jack. Your pissing on a 21 year old player who plays his ass off and fills up the box score on a nightly basis. That confuses you somehow.

So, get in a long line of about two people who don't appreciate what Josh Smith is bringing to the table. Its not enough we hear this Yi stupidity, now JS needs to go because he isn't....what isn't he again?

The looney birds have all come out at once.

He is an inefficient scorer for sure! Shoots 43.9% from the field. 25% from 3pt. line. 69% from the free throw line. Turns the ball over 3.1 time per game in his 3rd year in the league!!!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

He is an inefficient scorer for sure! Shoots 43.9% from the field. 25% from 3pt. line. 69% from the free throw line. Turns the ball over 3.1 time per game in his 3rd year in the league!!!!

Would you have rather us given the ball to Shelden, Marvin, Zaza, or Chill and let them create and TRY to score? If you would, you know nothing about basketball. Why do you think JJ always has to create his own shot, he has no other choice. Same with Smith, who shouldn't be a 2nd option scorer, but was forced to because Marvin, Shelden, Childress couldn't step up and our PGs sucked.

I'm just going to start posting this everytime you bash Smith, since you say he doesn't contribute to winning basketball. We were 1-10 without Smith when we were still 21-31. That means we were 20-21 for the first 50 games WITH Smith, it was losing Smith that killed us before JJ went down.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We were 1-10 without Smith when we were still 21-31. That means we were 20-21 for the first 50 games WITH Smith, it was losing Smith that killed us before JJ went down.

I'm pretty sure that other players were out at the same time! Try again!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Would you have rather us given the ball to Shelden, Marvin, Zaza, or Chill and let them create and TRY to score? If you would, you know nothing about basketball. Why do you think JJ always has to create his own shot, he has no other choice. Same with Smith, who shouldn't be a 2nd option scorer, but was forced to because Marvin, Shelden, Childress couldn't step up and our PGs sucked.

Actually Creating a shot was one of Zaza's strengths. Childress was more efficient! Toward the end, Marvin and Shelden were not bad either

• Premium Member

OMFG you are rediculous, you know NOTHING about basketball.

Quote:

Actually Creating a shot was one of Zaza's strengths.

And I can bench 1000 lbs.

Quote:

Childress was more efficient!

hahahahahahah, I bet you don't even know why, do you?

Quote:

Toward the end, Marvin and Shelden were not bad either

Neither was Smith. And if you think Marvin and Shelden were creating their shots then you are delusional.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Actually Creating a shot was one of Zaza's strengths.

And I can bench 1000 lbs.

Lets see, Zaza Shot 47% from the field, 79% from the free throw line and 2.3 turnovers per game

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Childress was more efficient!

hahahahahahah, I bet you don't even know why, do you?

Childress shot 50% from the field 80% from the line and only 1.5 turn overs per game