• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Thoughts about Paul vs Conley

Admin

Here are some thoughts that I have on the differences between Paul and Conley relative to their college careers and draft positions.

1. Paul had an extra year of college, but he went into his sophomore year as the projected #1 pick in the draft that year. There was never a time when Paul wasn't a lock for the high lottery.

2. Conley didn't think he was going to be in the draft this year until someone mentioned that he could be a lottery pick.

3. Paul was a clutch player who broke people down off the dribble and could score from anywhere on the court. Conley has difficulties keeping the defense honest because he can't score from anyone on the court on a regular basis, however he is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

4. Conley shot 70% from the FT line and 30% from the 3pt line. He has excellent form and the question is whether he can move back to the NBA 3pt line and still hit at 30% or greater. If he can do that, he would be enough of a threat that defenses would have to honor his outside shot. He must get up to 80%+ from the FT line though with the way he is able to get into the paint because he will get fouled a lot, especially if he can't hit his FTs.

5. Paul was known as a great distributor and a guy that could play the passing lanes and steal the ball away very well. In Paul's freshman season he had 183 assists and 84 steals. Comparatively in his freshman season, Conley had 238 assists and 87 steals. As you can see they match up extremely well. The big difference is that Conley is actually a very good defender and loves to play tight. Paul has always had trouble stopping the opposing PG from going off on him.

I have to admit that I didn't get to watch much college basketball this year so I haven't had the chance to see Conley nearly as much as I used to watch Paul. Because of that I was a little skeptical of him because he wasn't a consensus lottery pick until very recently. I am starting to grow more fond of him and am believing that he might actually be a level above the other PGs in this draft and might not be such a reach at #3 as I had originally thought him to be.

• Premium Member

Tony Parker is a MUCH better upside comparison IMO. He was also young (but relatively proven) when he came into the league, had a shaky jumper, and blazing speed.

And Tony Parker would be INCREDIBLE next to JJ.

Quote:

Tony Parker is a MUCH better upside comparison IMO. He was also young (but relatively proven) when he came into the league, had a shaky jumper, and blazing speed.

And Tony Parker would be INCREDIBLE next to JJ.

Except his speed is SIGNIFICANTLY better than that of Conley.

I think Conley will be a poor man's TJ Ford.

But if you ask these people ever since we got the 3rd pick, he's a future HOFer.

I've even seen Jason Kidd comparisons

• Premium Member

Quote:

Except his speed is SIGNIFICANTLY better than that of Conley.

Parker is quicker, but Conley is quick as well. In fact, he's a terrific athlete (via draftexpress profile):

Quote:

Athletically, Mike is as close to a freak as you can get for a point guard prospect. He has an incredibly explosive first step, outstanding lateral quickness, and nice leaping ability for a player who stands only 6’1. It is nice to see a player use all of his athletic abilities to the fullest on both ends of the floor, a rarity by today’s standards in the college game. Conley has shown that he can break down any opposing guard he has went up against all season long, keeping his head up the entire time and making all of the right passes. If he does decide to shoot the ball however, the Indianapolis native is as close to ambidextrous as one can be, using both his right and left hands in all of the proper situations. We’re not just talking about the rim either, as Conley has shown the ability to consistently hit floaters out to 10 feet with either hand as well, a very unique skill indeed.

• Premium Member

Poor Man's Ford..

I say Poor Man's Brevin Knight.

The Paul conversation is a joke. Paul shot like 47% from three pt land his rookie year? That means that MCJ shouldn't be mentioned in the same Day as Paul.

But Look at something about these Smaller PGs who have nothing in their arsenal but drive and dish.

I know Brevin Knight was an awesome PG at Stanford.

I know TJ Ford was an Awesome PG at UT.

I know Chris Paul was a major force at Wake.

All undersized guards... who could drive and dish...

BUT.

Look how many games these guys have mised over their career... DO you think there's a correlation? Conley doesn't have the ability of a Chris Paul. He's not quite as fast as Ford...He's not as good a Pure PG as Brevin Knight... Why are we considering him for 3??

Just because we need a PG doesn't mean we have to take the first one there.

BK may just take two forwards and pick up Steve Blake.. and I wouldn't be mad depending on the forwards...

But to get Conley just because he's available is a joke!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

But if you ask these people ever since we got the 3rd pick, he's a future HOFer.

I've even seen Jason Kidd comparisons

Some idiots have also said he's better than Deron Williams when he came out!

Who are the multiple people who said Conley is better now than Deron Williams was after his junior season? I don't think I have seen anyone say that, but I could be wrong.