• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

You want to improve the offense?

KB21

One move will get it done. That move is getting a point guard that can dictate the tempo of the game, set up his teammates, and protect the basketball.

The more I think about it, the more Mike Conley Jr. stands out as the guy the Hawks need to take. He's the one player I see that will make this team a better, more efficient scoring team as well as a better defensive team. Mike Conley Jr. will make Josh Smith a better player by keeping him from having to work so hard to get his shot. As a result, Josh Smith doesn't handle the ball nearly as much, doesn't find himself wandering around the three point line chucking up shots he shouldn't be shooting, and also cuts down on his tendency to turn the ball over. Mike Conley Jr. also makes Josh Childress a better player. Josh Childress is the best on the Hawks team at moving without the ball and getting himself open for close to the basket shots. Mike Conley is the type of point guard that can hit Josh Childress in stride for those open looks he creates by moving without the ball. Mike Conley also makes Joe Johnson a better, more efficient player because like Josh Smith, Joe won't have to work as hard for his shot as he has been. Mike Conley's ability to penetrate into the lane will create open shot opportunities from the perimeter for both Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams.

To add, Mike's defensive ability as an on the ball defender will create fast break opportunities by creating turnovers.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

One move will get it done. That move is getting a point guard that can dictate the tempo of the game, set up his teammates, and protect the basketball.

The more I think about it, the more Mike Conley Jr. stands out as the guy the Hawks need to take. He's the one player I see that will make this team a better, more efficient scoring team as well as a better defensive team. Mike Conley Jr. will make Josh Smith a better player by keeping him from having to work so hard to get his shot. As a result, Josh Smith doesn't handle the ball nearly as much, doesn't find himself wandering around the three point line chucking up shots he shouldn't be shooting, and also cuts down on his tendency to turn the ball over. Mike Conley Jr. also makes Josh Childress a better player. Josh Childress is the best on the Hawks team at moving without the ball and getting himself open for close to the basket shots. Mike Conley is the type of point guard that can hit Josh Childress in stride for those open looks he creates by moving without the ball. Mike Conley also makes Joe Johnson a better, more efficient player because like Josh Smith, Joe won't have to work as hard for his shot as he has been. Mike Conley's ability to penetrate into the lane will create open shot opportunities from the perimeter for both Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams.

To add, Mike's defensive ability as an on the ball defender will create fast break opportunities by creating turnovers.

exactly...how is getting a forward who must compete for playing time going to improve our offense...especially since bwright does not have a post game (something we do need more besides what zaza brings) but more of an athletic putback game...

let the workouts come and if conley does as expected, get him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The only problem with this theory is that only one Hawk moves well without the ball and makes himself available for nice passes is Josh Childress. Marvin, Smith and joe already get plenty of wide open jump shots with our current offense. Unfortunately in the beginning of the season only Joe was hitting his shots. Marvin improved toward the end and Smith had some good shooting games. Smith & Joe rarely cut to the basket without the ball in there hands with the intent on receiving a pass. So We would have to change our entire offense for a point guard like Conley to have a significant impact. A shooting point guard would have an immediate impact. And Certainly a high percentage scoring post player would have even more of an impact on our offense!

Same here. It's not always about the best player. It's about the best player for your team. Much like Diaw was worthless to us and valuable to Phoenix, Conley is more valuable to us than he is to many other teams. If you can get him lower, fine. But if not, just take the best player for your team at #3. We have slashers galore dying to catch a ball in rhythm, and shooters dying to get an open shot. Conley is our man unless we want to gamble on Crittenton.

Quote:

Quote:

The only problem with this theory is that only one Hawk moves well without the ball and makes himself available for nice passes is Josh Childress. Marvin, Smith and joe already get plenty of wide open jump shots with our current offense. Unfortunately in the beginning of the season only Joe was hitting his shots. Marvin improved toward the end and Smith had some good shooting games. Smith & Joe rarely cut to the basket without the ball in there hands with the intent on receiving a pass. So We would have to change our entire offense for a point guard like Conley to have a significant impact. A shooting point guard would have an immediate impact. And Certainly a high percentage scoring post player would have even more of an impact on our offense!

You are making the Josh Smith loyalists mad. You are ruining their dreams.

Lascar, you and I have been in the building for awhile. One thing I am 100% certain is that with a true PG that runs our offense we take a quantum leap.

When your watching our offense it is crystal clear we need a driver. Somebody that elevates the play of everybody. Our offense is painful to watch and most of that is due to not having a true PG (Woody is also a problem, thats another story).

If we take another forward we have no chance again and I don't care if its Wright, Horford, or Julian.

We need a TRUE PG. That is why I value Conley so much higher than Law.

Quote:

Agreed.

Welcome back to the world of rationale Atlanta Hawks analysis KB. You have been off the reservation for too long.

Quote:

Good Points for Conley !

DJ, the other thing is he has a pretty good stroke. This isn't a Rondo type of problem. He just needs a little more consistency. He will get that with age and by all accounts he is a hard worker and has great character.

Short of a blockbuster deal that knocks our socks off we need Conley.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Mike Conley also makes Joe Johnson a better, more efficient player because like Josh Smith, Joe won't have to work as hard for his shot as he has been. Mike Conley's ability to penetrate into the lane will create open shot opportunities from the perimeter for both Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but there is one huge factor that you are leaving out of your very well written post. Which is we already had someone like that in Speedy Claxton and it didn't work that well! Why? Because our players don't move well without the ball. They set screens for the person with the ball but not for players without the ball freeing them up in the middle. They don't shoot well enough from the perimeter to force teams to open up the middle for interior passing. And we certainly don't have that high post guy to start the offense with like San Antoinio.

I will bet Conley will be a great shooter before its all done. I remember when Magic came into the league he used to build houses with all those bricks. But he developed that ugly set shot that worked well.

Its all a matter of technique and his is actually good. Just some fine tuning and a lot of gym work and he will be ready.

Don't you think Woody will sit Conley on the pine? I do. I think he will play the veterans more and barely use Conley in situations that are important. I'm honestly trying to remember the last time a small 19 year old point guard helped anybody. I can't think of one.

What is it he's going to be driving? Joe, Smoove and Marvin does not work. They do not have a good dynamic together. Three people can't stand on 2 wings!

TP, you more than anyone should know how messed up we are. How is this young pg going to come in and change this? The incompetence runs deep. Don't you think there is a chance he could be swallowed by it? I think your boy Marvin, Shelden, Solo, Ivey, etc. would all be better players somewhere else. There are a lot of players that could not make the Hawks or were released by us, that are helping other teams.

I'm just afraid The Hawks will rub off on Conley, not the other way around.

Quote:

Quote:

Mike Conley also makes Joe Johnson a better, more efficient player because like Josh Smith, Joe won't have to work as hard for his shot as he has been. Mike Conley's ability to penetrate into the lane will create open shot opportunities from the perimeter for both Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but there is one huge factor that you are leaving out of your very well written post. Which is we already had someone like that in Speedy Claxton and it didn't work that well! Why? Because our players don't move well without the ball. They set screens for the person with the ball but not for players without the ball freeing them up in the middle. They don't shoot well enough from the perimeter to force teams to open up the middle for interior passing. And we certainly don't have that high post guy to start the offense with like San Antoinio.

*ding* *ding* *ding* We have a winner! Mike Conley won't change those things. We are not a smart, helpful team. More eyes on Conley, that's all.

You maybe right. On the other hand when you get a true PG into the mix maybe the offense works better and Marvin and Smoove click. Maybe guys stop standing around watching because they may actually get the ball if they move.

I'm telling you the right PG on the Hawks makes a huge difference. Will Woody put Conley on the pine? Maybe, but that is because Woody is an idiot. If you draft Wright or Horford he will do the same thing because he will still be an idiot.

Conley doesn't fix Woody. But, we need a PG and Woody isn't changing regardless of who we take.

Quote:

Speedy's never proven to be a distributor. I have no doubt that Conley will be a huge upgrade over Speedy Claxton, injuries or not.

Change huge to slight, and I'm with you. There is no way a 19 year old pg is going to know the things necessary to run a team.