• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

You want to improve the offense?

KB21

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike Conley also makes Joe Johnson a better, more efficient player because like Josh Smith, Joe won't have to work as hard for his shot as he has been. Mike Conley's ability to penetrate into the lane will create open shot opportunities from the perimeter for both Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams.

To add, Mike's defensive ability as an on the ball defender will create fast break opportunities by creating turnovers.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but there is one huge factor that you are leaving out of your very well written post. Which is we already had someone like that in Speedy Claxton and it didn't work that well! Why? Because our players don't move well without the ball. They set screens for the person with the ball but not for players without the ball freeing them up in the middle. They don't shoot well enough from the perimeter to force teams to open up the middle for interior passing. And we certainly don't have that high post guy to start the offense with like San Antoinio.

*ding* *ding* *ding* We have a winner! Mike Conley won't change those things. We are not a smart, helpful team. More eyes on Conley, that's all.

They think Conley, young, fast like Tony Parker, is a instant playmaker like Chris Paul and will help Josh Smith slash and dunk more. This is not about making the team better, this is about Josh Smith. Anyone who watched Conley knows he no Chris Paul or Deron Williams, those guys were great in college, Conley was JUST good, not great, not very good, just good. Hell, Steve Blake was very good. Conley is a joke, I watched his game a explain him only to get no responses, but if I say something simple I got a million responses. This is a joke.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Conley shot poorly from the college free throw line and anyone who has ever played pickup basketball knows the college 3 point line is a joke.

Now you think a guy who shoots that poorly will make our offense great in the NBA?

Yi Jianlian + Acie Law is by far the biggest offensive upgrade we could possibly do.

Acie Law

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Yi Jianlain

Everyone can create their own shot.

THAT is an offense right there

• Premium Member

Quote:

They think Conley, young, fast like Tony Parker, is a instant playmaker like Chris Paul and will help Josh Smith slash and dunk more.

Since when has Josh Smith Slashed to the basket? This is what I'm talking about folks, the Conley supporter automatically assumes that josh Smith has not been moving without the basketball preferring to stand around on the perimeter was because we didn't have Mike Conley! This is just ludicrous! Josh Smith Stand around on the perimeter because he thinks that he can hit perimeter shots on a regular basis. Or because he thinks that he can beat his man off the dribble! Slashing to the basket is the last thing on Josh Smith mind in the half court.

I am all for Conley at #3 but then you enter the season with Zaza, Lorenzen and Sol Jones at Center, and that is scary. Do you get Spencer as your Center for the #11 pick. What is worst/better Specer and Conley or Yi and Acie Law? Not that Zaza is not functinal at Center but the depth is not good at all.

I just see him being swallowed by the abyss that is the Hawks. Those pg's are gone. They are in N.O. and Salt Lake. I don't see him ever being in that caliber. That is the caliber we need. This was a two man draft for us. We got #3. We have to make a trade or two. Or keep sitting, waiting, wishing. I don't see him ever being in an all -star game. This is the 3rd pick. We have to have a veteran. A proven stock. If one of our big 3 were moved I might be more for this move. Someone has to hang in the post. we have no one. Until we get someone who can command a double team on the block, we will suck. It doesn't have to be KG, but they have to make the team double! Remember Deke? I know you do. We haven't won since we lost him. Everyone thought he was so terrible down there. Guess what, you HAD to double him.

That pass out of the double team sits everything up and is the simplest way to win games.

I feel what you're saying, and he may help us squeak out 40 wins, but you know what that means russian.gif

There will be two less people in the unemployment line.

Guest Walter

I see any of the 3 Pgs accomplishing vastly improving the offense using their particular skill-sets. I can see Crittenton always dribbling with his head up and his ability to shoot, score, and distribute always a TRIPLE threat. I can see Law's leadership and scoring savy elevating this team.

Sure, we need a Pg, but we don't need any one of the three Pgs and the talent at 11 MORE THAN we need the talent at 3 and any one of the remaining two Pgs.

Simply put...1st Pg taken/talent at 11 <<<<<< 2nd or 3rd Pg taken/talent at 3.

I would expect a former "BPA" BK apologist to realize that, at least one that didn't flip/flop on first hating then loving BK for getting SW.

W

Quote:

Acie Law

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Yi Jianlain

Everything I've read on Yi is that he's somewhere in between a 3 and a 4. Unless you're a professional scout that flew over to China and have some ground breaking analysis...

I'm gonna have to side with the NBA scouts on this one (over BusBoyisBack).

Verdict: Yi is not a center. That lineup doesn't work.

edit to add: why does everyone in an effective offense have to be able to create their own shots? Out of all the best offenses in the NBA, I can't think of one that works because everyone on the floor can create their own shots.

Everyone creating their own shots = no easy buckets

There are only a couple of real Centers every year based on college position, body size and playing with true post presence. This year with Hibbert withdrawing the first round Centers are Oden and Spencer Hawes and Gasol. If we take a PG at #3 then we sill might get Hawes. However if we go with Yi we have a player that may play the 5 position that is very talented that could cause match-up problems pro and con --- Yi and Conley will be on the board at 3 and Hawes may be on the board at 11 and Acie Law likely will be. Bottom line may come to are the Hawks better with Conley and Hawes or Yi and Law????

Leftwich, no matter how many scouts say Yi isn't remotely a center it doesn't compute with Busboy. He will continue to promote him on this site as a center. He is a 3/4 but in every Busboy lineup he is our savior at the 5. Why? Because he is 7 feet. In Busboys mind that is a center or at least someone whoi can be a center.

Logic and reason are irrelevant to BB because he has his mind made up. And when Yi comes into the league off a bad teams bench next year and doesn't go near the paint on defense and launches a lot of jumpshots because his drives in the NBA will be smoked...Busboy will call him a center.

Some people are just thick that way.

He's a 3/4?

That's funny because he's listed on several places as a 4/5.

Funny how he's a 3/4 who can never play Center yet some people want Pau Gasol who was listed almost as a pure 3 when he came out

The guy isn't just a 7 footer. Manut Bol was a 7 footer.

But in addition to being 7 feet, Yi has great lateral quickness which is very important for playing D and a frame to add more upper body strength.

This is in addition to his great leaping ability and 7'4 wing span.

In other words he has no physical limitations that would prevent him from playing the position.

Conley, or any other rookie pg, would have to overcome Woody's horrid offensive coaching to succeed. I suspect Ohio State ran a more structured balanced offense than anything Woody will draw up. I, like others here, so want a point guard to come in here and really take the reins and succeed that we are overlooking Woody. I need to keep reminding myself that Woody will dampen the ability of any rookie point guard we bring in here.

Quote:

Conley, or any other rookie pg, would have to overcome Woody's horrid offensive coaching to succeed. I suspect Ohio State ran a more structured balanced offense than anything Woody will draw up. I, like others here, so want a point guard to come in here and really take the reins and succeed that we are overlooking Woody. I need to keep reminding myself that Woody will dampen the ability of any rookie point guard we bring in here.

Thus my worry with drafting Conley. I like him, but do we honestly think that Woody would finally get the common sense to open up the offense more. Woody has always stopped the run according to how we play defensively. If we suck on D, he won't run. (Has merit if you're not defending, are lazy and giving up easy baskets), however....BK at least got players who are built to run. Nothings going to be worse than watching everyone champion Conley and he fails due to stagnant stand around offense. And you think we get blasted about PG play now!

Quote:

Conley shot poorly from the college free throw line and anyone who has ever played pickup basketball knows the college 3 point line is a joke.

Now you think a guy who shoots that poorly will make our offense great in the NBA?

Yi Jianlian + Acie Law is by far the biggest offensive upgrade we could possibly do.

Acie Law

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Yi Jianlain

i don't want a team full of Starburys and Stevey Franchises where our entire offense is players creating their own shot...GOOD basketball is about team play, setting up OTHER players and putting them into position to succeed....ESPECIALLY when those other team players are athletic and have some thump to their game...you don't HAVE to create your own shot if someone is making your shots easier...open shots equal higher fg%...shots created by other teammates (aka drive and dish) creates a scenario where the shot is MORE open than creating own shot (crossover, small opening with hand coming at you)...I beleive that Conley would provide that..

right now Lue basically pounds the ball in and then comes back out and eventually just passes or shoots...he's a shooting point and a backup at that...AJ is better at setting up others than Lue but not aboveaverage level and is older and not quick...speedy is quick, his shot is not only not consistent (aka Conley) but actually is horrible, worse than many of the fans in the stands. he could setup teammates on a drive and dish if he did it more and wasnt injured all the time (but his shot is so bad-jaque vaughnish- it hurts his ability to drive). he too is backup material.

if the reports of his abilties is correct, conley provides us wth the best chance of getting someone who can create passing and open other people's shots.

Just because everyone on your team can score doesn't mean you don't pass the ball.

For instance, that's the difference between the USC Trojans and the Florida Gators.

USC was all about one on one moves.

Florida was about finding the open man and picking spots for solo moves.

That is why Detroit is so successful. Sure everybody on Detroit on any given night can light you up for 20 but at the same time, they do a great job spreading the ball around.

I see no reason why we couldn't have the same thing.

There are no selfish players in that lineup.

People act like Acie Law is a ball hog but he only averaged one less APG than Conley

Speaking of the Pistons, Law patterns his game after Chauncey Billups.

Quote:

guys, woody will be gone in one year or less anyway, so that shouldn't be a big concern, i think.

Big concern if you think about the fact we will not have a 1st round pick next year. Next year, improvement is going to be twice as hard without a 1st round pick.

Quote:

Big concern if you think about the fact we will not have a 1st round pick next year. Next year, improvement is going to be twice as hard without a 1st round pick.

If we use these picks right, that won't be as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

We should not be a lottery team if we play our cards right.