• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why not Spencer Hawes at #11

DeacKillsaDevil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 47% is low for any post player, PF or C. That kind of number doesn't bother me for a perimeter player.

Would I like to see smith shoot a higher percentage?

Yes

Would I like to see Smith shoot a higher percentage of higher percentage shots?

Absolutely

Does his shooting percentage make me think he doesn't have a huge future at PF or SF?

Heck no.

Smith needs to use a lot more discretion, attack attack attack, and work on his touch near the rim.

Quote:

Quote:

JO shot 44%

And that is exactly why Indiana when nowhere this season!

I assume this is an attempt to discredit Smith at the 4. However his worst month shooting was in November when he was playing the 3 and shot 36%. Then you have to consider he was forced to be a go to scorer late in the season, which really shouldn't be his role. Plus he was basically playing without a quality pg all year.

Next season i expect his percentage to go up significantly. I believe he will continue to improve his game and his shot selection. He shouldnt be forced to be the go to guy. Ideally i would like to see him be the 3rd option. Plus having a quality pg should get him a lot more easy looks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think 47% is low for any post player, PF or C. That kind of number doesn't bother me for a perimeter player.

Would I like to see smith shoot a higher percentage?

Yes

Would I like to see Smith shoot a higher percentage of higher percentage shots?

Absolutely

Does his shooting percentage make me think he doesn't have a huge future at PF or SF?

Heck no.

Smith needs to use a lot more discretion, attack attack attack, and work on his touch near the rim.

Don't you think that by his 3rd year he would be shooting a higher percentage and the fact that he hasn't worry you?

I SIMPLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE'RE DISCUSSING JOSH SMITH'S SHOOTING PERCENTAGE!!!

What does this have to do with Spencer Hawes?

And no, it doesn't keep me awake at night. Jsoh Smith has vastly improved his game in a multitude of ways and he's still a young pup in the grand scheme of things. SF, PF, whatever, I want Josh Smith on the floor for my team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I SIMPLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE'RE DISCUSSING JOSH SMITH'S SHOOTING PERCENTAGE!!!

Why are we talking about Spencer Hawes because Hawes will not be a Hawk! We will not pick him at # 3 and he apparently will be gone before # 11

Quote:

And no, it doesn't keep me awake at night. Jsoh Smith has vastly improved his game in a multitude of ways and he's still a young pup in the grand scheme of things. SF, PF, whatever, I want Josh Smith on the floor for my team.

he, much like Al did, falls in love with the outside shot at times. I caught myself cringing a couple of times this year when Smoove would hit a three. I knew there would be more coming as a result.

I think Hawes at #11 is a no brainer assuming BK picks Conley 3rd.

If you don't want to discuss Spencer Hawes why did you come and post on the thread about him???

Not to mention the fact that there's at least a decent chance Hawes is available to us at #11. Probably as good of a chance or better than Law. We're discussing Hawes because he's a C that's projected to go in the range of where we're picking, and we need a center or centers on our team.

Quote:

Quote:

Plus he was basically playing without a quality pg all year.

Zaza, Shelden, Childress, & Joe played with the same quality point guard

Of those 4 only Joe was expected to be a go to scorer. The other 3 aren't capable of it which is why Smith was put in that role when JJ went down. And it affected his percentage.

Zaza and Shelden both shot a poor percentage. Childress shot a high percentage because he rarely shot outside 10 feet.

Quote:

Josh Smith Shot 43%

Smith shot 43.9% which rounds to 44 not 43.

47% is lame for a center and 45% is lame for a guy who spent the whole season inside and averaged only 5.5 ppg.

If Zaza or Shelden had been asked to take the bulk of the shots after JJ went down their percentages would have been way down in the 30s.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Josh Smith Shot 43%

If Zaza or Shelden had been asked to take the bulk of the shots after JJ went down their percentages would have been way down in the 30s.

If I'm not mistaken, Smith was shooting poorly even when JJ was in the line up. Especially in December

• Premium Member

Exodus, don't try to reason with this guy, he doesn't understand the concept of being the 2nd option. He doesn't understand that Marvin/Zaza/Shelden/Childress CAN'T create their own shots, so they force Smith too which lowers his %. If Marvin/Zaza/Shelden/Childress were forced to be the 2nd option, their %'s and turnovers would suffer tremendously also.

I've already tried to explain this to him, but it's like talking to a brick wall. He doesn't understand basketball enough to acknowledge this. Thus this is where I got my sig..

He thinks Childress is better at creating his own shot because his FG% is higher.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Josh Smith Shot 43%

If I'm not mistaken, Smith was shooting poorly even when JJ was in the line up. Especially in December

You are mistaken. Smith shot 50% in december. You can shut up now.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Exodus, don't try to reason with this guy, he doesn't understand the concept of being the 2nd option.

So you are trying to convince me that shooting 44% from the field averaging over 3 turnovers a game for a power forward 2nd option is acceptable. Name me one playoff team where they have the identical situation!

Quote:

Quote:

You are mistaken. Smith shot 50% in december. You can shut up now.

My Mistake It was November when he shot 36% for the month!

I mentioned that earlier in the thread genius, and he was playing the 3 that month.