• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yi Jianlian vs Pau Gasol

KB21

I haven't checked, so this link may have been posted before.

It's basically just a couple of clips, and you can't tell much about Yi overall. I'm not sure why they show the Pau Gasol clip on this, because he neither beat Yi off the dribble nor dunked on him. Yi is #11. The player he beat was #13, and the player he dunked on was #12.

However, Pau came out onto the perimeter to guard Yi, and Yi blew right by him for a dunk. Honestly though, you can't tell much about Yi on that play, because that is the kind of defense that Pau Gasol routinely plays.

There is a lot of Yi video. I've posted several. No one seems to want to watch, though. Something about him being Chinese, a tweener, soft, and a project. lol! Just wait and see how much they like the Mike Conley project. He's not even close to being NBA ready. Yet people think he is. He's a 19 year old, SMALL pg!

Quote:

There is a lot of Yi video. I've posted several. No one seems to want to watch, though. Something about him being Chinese, a tweener, soft, and a project. lol! Just wait and see how much they like the Mike Conley project. He's not even close to being NBA ready. Yet people think he is. He's a 19 year old, SMALL pg!

So, after seeing a few highlight clips of him vs. other players in a very, very crappy league, you're trying to say you know more than scouts?

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/yijianlian.html

Quote:

Weaknesses:
There is some concern as to what position he will play in the NBA: He lacks the upper body strength and the back to the basket moves at power forward and is a bit long and rangy for the three
… Needs to improve his three point shooting to play minutes to be effective at SF … Despite his vast improvement, Jianlian needs to continue to develop his upper body strength …
At this point of his career, he’s more comfortable facing the basket than with his back to the basket
… Although he doesn’t shy away from physical contact
he can get disrupted with rough post play … Struggles to maintain his position in the low post as opposing defenders tend to push him out
… Defensively he will not be the huge shot blocking presence that he is in the China, due to his timing and the speed of the NBA game … Has a habit of putting the ball on the floor to achieve rhythm instead of keeping the ball high away from opposing guards …. Confidence can wavier in games when he’s struggling to score … Although listed as being born in 1987 many within China place him between 1985-1986 … Doesn’t always play defensive with great intensity, he won’t be able to get away with it in the NBA …

shhh.gif

Quote:

There is a lot of Yi video. I've posted several.

Please direct me to them. I want to see as much as I can.

Even with a lot of clips though, you don't get the whole story unless you get to watch entire games, entire seasons, etc.

You have to agree that highlight reels don't tell a complete story.

• Premium Member

Just notice things like Latteral movement, ball handling, form, speedy, agility...

Yeah, we know what he can do in a crappy league (dominate)... but that's unimportant. What really matters is skills and talents.

I think when you consider he's 7'1 245 and moves like this....He's a keeper.

• Premium Member

I think some people aren't being fair to Yi. As much as I despise Knight he was right on the money about Gasol (so was Babcock I might add, he wanted a young local kid in SAR to build around though)and if Knight is as high on Yi as my sources indicated then I would at least give Yi the benefit of the doubt. I personally want to see him in some predraft workouts and camps though.

You abviously didn't see Gasols tomahawk right in the Generals mug. He tomahawked his ass!!! I was embarrassed for him. The General got posterized. Your not supposed to treat a general that way.

I wonder what (fill in blank) would do if Gasol treated him so rudely.

• Moderators

Quote:

You abviously didn't see Gasols tomahawk right in the Generals mug. He tomahawked his ass!!! I was embarrassed for him. The General got posterized. Your not supposed to treat a general that way.

That isn't Yi getting posterized. It is one of his teammates.

Quote:

I think when you consider he's 7'1 245 and moves like this....He's a keeper.

You keep saying that but how do we know he's even 7 feet?

When are the official measurements.

I just hope he's 7 feet. Not that 6'11 would be a bad thing but imagine a legit 7 footer who can move like Yi.

He'd be taller than Bosh, Bargnani, Dirk and all these other guys who aren't really 7 feet.

Quote:

Quote:

There is a lot of Yi video. I've posted several.

Please direct me to them. I want to see as much as I can.

Even with a lot of clips though, you don't get the whole story unless you get to watch entire games, entire seasons, etc.

You have to agree that highlight reels don't tell a complete story.

Agreed. I'm not saying we have to draft him based off of these. I'm saying not giving him a serious look while blindly taking Conley is beyond stupidity. It's a reactionary decision. I don't like those when team building is involved.

link

I don't know how to link properly. Just go to Yi Highlight dunk on Pau from a few days ago. I posted 3 videos there. There is a 9 minute highligh clip with some killer Chinese rock... and Bon Jovi.lol! Make sure to check out the Yi's 18 moves.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm not saying we have to draft him based off of these. I'm saying not giving him a serious look while blindly taking Conley is beyond stupidity.

It would be idiotic to take anyone at the 3 and 11 spots without working out at least two dozen players. No promises this year, BK!

Guest Walter

Quote:

That wasn't General Yi.

Feel bad?

What about the blow by on Gasol. Did Gasol even flinch before Yi's finish. Yi didn't break his ankle. Worse, he jerked his wiring so bad Gasol couldn't get the impulse to move.

Feel bad yet?

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Crappy league? You mean like the Big 12?

In a league where Wang ZhiZhi dominates, it's obviously nowhere NEAR as good as the big12. I'd say the CBA is more like D2 basketball.

Pau is not a great defensive player, but I wonder who could've stopped him there. If Yi catches the ball with space out on the perimeter, I'm not sure any 7 footer can stay with him. A good team would give help and make it tougher, but Yi is going to be a terrific face up big man.

Guest Walter

Quote:

but Yi is going to be a terrific face up big man.

That's how I see him. I see his interior turn around J also. That is a sweet move. He can play back to the basket. He just likes to end up facing it.

W

Quote:

Quote:

That's how I see him. I see his interior turn around J also. That is a sweet move. He can play back to the basket. He just likes to end up facing it.

W

That 7'4" wingspan right handed jump hook, you need an 8 footer center to block that one.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

W

That 7'4" wingspan right handed jump hook, you need an 8 footer center to block that one.

Walter & Jerry:

You both have good points. I just wanted to flip to the otherside of the coin before we jump to too many conclusions.

In theory Yi should be unstoppable. But how soft is he ? If Wang Zhi gave him problems in the post the NBA bigs will be licking their chops. Refs don't give young players any calls, the vets will be free to play Yi very physically.

Dirk has a 7'4'' wing span too. He was too soft to use it vs. the liks of 6'7'' Bruce Bowen in the regular season or in the playoffs vs the skinny kid with a mowhawk vs. Golden State when it counted, in the playoffs. He elected to shoot jumpers, exactly what the little guys guarding him wanted him to do.

The highlights of Yi are great. However,the game summaries are scary. If he uses that hook effectivly vs. Hoford and Noah in workouts..only then will I be sold on Yi.

In theory a 7 footer with skills should dominate the NBA but as history shows it does not alwayse work that way.