• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

CHAD FORD: Hawks love Wright/Crittenton

TexasPete

This from Draft Express

March 27, 2007

In what is usually the case for Roy Williams’ supremely talented youngster, Brandan Wright once again showed flashes of downright amazing ability against Georgetown this afternoon. In addition to the usual assortment of athletic dunks, rebounds and fast break exploits, Wright showed off immense offensive skill in specific moments. But at the same time, there were also rough patches. He struggled to finish several times in the second half, and couldn’t contain Jeff Green to save his life.

As far as the offense goes, of course we are talking about the pair of jump hook-half floater moves that were nothing short of NBA-caliber. With Wright’s wingspan, body control and athleticism, such as shot is virtually impossible to block, no matter which league Wright is playing in. Even more impressive was the touch with which he finished the scores, something that he has struggled with for most of the season. It was certainly Wright’s night in the shooting department, as the sub-par free throw shooter managed to convert all 6 of his attempts at the charity stripe. Simply put, if Wright can become more consistent with these types of moves, it won’t be long before he is proving right all those that have compared him to Chris Bosh.

But as the game wore on, Wright seemed to lose his edge. His length and athleticism stopped appearing on the offensive glass and in the open court, while he struggled to finish against physical Georgetown defenders. But the real problem came on the defensive end, where Green abused him in pretty much every imaginable manner. Whether it was poor awareness that led to backdoor cuts and easy points, a lack of foot speed on the perimeter, and absolutely no physical intensity or toughness, Wright basically let Green do what he wanted for most of the game. This is particularly disappointing to see from a player with such immense raw potential on the defensive end.

While Wright certainly has his rough edges and must put on a significant amount of weight before he is ready to be an NBA big timer, it was a productive season for the Tennessee product. His ability to finish at the rim was a big part of why the Tar Heels were able to come back against USC, but this afternoon he faded away down the stretch. Needless to say, Brandan Wright has a very tough decision ahead of him. Could he turn an almost certain spot in the top 5 and return to Chapel Hill to further polish up a few of his weaknesses?

[Read Full Article]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part was Phoenix looking to cut $8 million in salary by trading Diaw. Good luck with that.

Rumors from Orlandoposted: Friday, June 1, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

filed under: Insider NBA

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The best part of the Orlando predraft camp is watching all of the GMs in the league pair up, move to dark corners of the gym and talk about … what GMs talk about.

After countless conversations with NBA executives and agents, here's the scuttlebutt from Orlando:

• Now that Kobe has calmed down, the biggest rumor here is that the Lakers will strike quick to add a big name to the roster, and just about everyone believes that it will be Jermaine O'Neal.

What will the Pacers want in return? Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum and the No. 19 pick.

They'll be willing to throw in another player (take your pick of Jamaal Tinsley, Troy Murphy or Marquis Daniels) for Kwame Brown's expiring contract.

That's a heavy price for O'Neal, but if the Lakers are really going to appease Kobe, this might be the price they have to pay.

• Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard is the most popular guy in Orlando. He's been engaged in discussion after discussion all week.

No, he's not giving up the No. 1 pick in the draft, though I did hear from a good source that he's been offered two different All-Stars for the pick.

It appears he's trying to find a way to move a player (read: Zach Randolph) or two off the roster while simultaneously acquiring another draft pick. His goal is most likely not point guard Mike Conley, but one of the draft's elite small forwards. Corey Brewer is at the top of the list, but Pritchard also likes Jeff Green, Julian Wright and Al Thornton.

• Lots of teams are targeting the Celtics' No. 5 pick. GMs believe that Celts chief Danny Ainge will want a quicker fix to his team than the No. 5 pick can provide.

So far it seems as though the Celtics haven't heard a serious offer. The one that was floating around the gym -- the Knicks' David Lee and Nate Robinson for Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and the No. 5 pick -- has no chance of happening.

If the Celtics do hold onto the pick, I think they're leaning toward Corey Brewer.

• The Yi Jianlian games have begun. Yi is foregoing the physical-only portion of the camp -- the first time I remember seeing that move by a player.

Yi is not injured and he's not in China. He's pulling out to maintain control of the process.

Both his agent, Dan Fegan, and the Chinese government want to make sure Yi lands on the "right" team. So Yi will work out for only a few select teams.

Yi's Orlando maneuver means that the other teams in the league won't even have the results of a physical to look at, which might further discourage them from draft Yi.

Don't be shocked if Golden State or Chicago finds a way to move up and grab Yi. They seem to be the two "approved" teams most interested.

• We have the Hawks taking Mike Conley at No. 3 in our latest mock draft, but the rumor in Orlando is that (a) the Hawks love UNC's Brandan Wright at No. 3 and (b) with the No. 11 pick, they already have zeroed in on Georgia Tech freshman Javaris Crittenton.

Given that the Hawks already had decided to draft Shelden Williams by the predraft camp last year (I first reported it in my blog on the second day of camp last year), it's hard to dismiss this rumor -- even though almost every team I spoke with has Crittenton ranked lower than 11th.

I think the Hawks would be making a mistake by passing on Conley. Crittenton is a good prospect, but both he and Wright are too far away from being ready to contribute much. How much longer are Hawks fans (and Joe Johnson) supposed to wait?

• There is still lots of intrigue about what the Grizzlies are doing. They have their eye on Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Mike Conley as well as a possible Pau Gasol trade.

But will team president Jerry West be calling the shots in the upcoming weeks?

The Grizz have a new head coach (Marc Iavaroni) and have spent a lot of their time here trying to fill their GM role, with West retiring after the draft. They made an offer to Suns VP David Griffin, but Griffin decided to stay with Phoenix.

It looks like Chris Wallace, who serves as the Celtics GM though he actually works for Danny Ainge, might be the favorite for the job. You've gotta love it: Only in the NBA would the the GM of the second-worst team in the league be brought in to rescue the worst team in the league.

• Speaking of the Suns, a league source confirmed that the mandate from owner Robert Sarver was to trim roughly $8 million from their payroll this summer.

They'd love to trade Marcus Banks or Boris Diaw to clear the money, but that's probably not happening unless Shawn Marion or Amare Stoudemire is in the deal.

Perhaps Steve Kerr, in his new role as president and GM, will be able to talk Sarver into being patient. The Suns aren't that far away from the Finals.

But if they do trade Marion or Stoudemire, I still believe the Bulls remain the most logical trade partner, assuming they're willing to let go of Luol Deng.

• Houston found a way to beat the new rules prohibiting teams from conducting prospect workouts until after the predraft camp.

The Rockets are staying in Orlando over the weekend -- along with seven other teams, including the Celtics, Timberwolves, Kings, Mavs and Pacers -- to conduct three huge workouts on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

The participants include nine players not at the predraft camp: Jason Smith, Sean Williams, Ante Tomic, DeVon Hardin, Morris Almond, Wilson Chandler, Arron Afflalo, Kyrylo Fesenko and Marcus Williams.

The NBA couldn't get any of those guys to compete in the camp, but the Rockets managed to get them playing immediately afterward in the same city.

• The best workout at the predraft camp?

It was out of sight -- literally -- because NBA teams were prohibited from attending.

Kevin Durant, Julian Wright, Thaddeus Young and Javaris Crittenton got in a workout together about 10 minutes north of where all the NBA GM and scouts were snoozing through Thursday evening's predraft games.

• The best team workout scheduled so far?

The Bobcats have scheduled Corey Brewer, Julian Wright, Jeff Green and Thaddeus Young to work out against each other next week. That should be a show stopper.

• So who's working out where?

Brandan Wright said he has workouts scheduled with the Hawks, Grizzlies and Celtics.

Al Horford said he has workouts with those three teams as well as the Bucks and Timberwolves.

Al Thornton is working out for the Celtics, Blazers, Timberwolves, Bobcats and Bucks.

Spencer Hawes said he has workouts scheduled with the Wolves, Bulls and Kings.

Jeff Green said he'll work out with the Bulls, Sixers, Bobcats and Bucks.

• Perhaps the most welcome rumor of the day?

Two NBA officials told me that the predraft camp likely will return to Chicago next year.

Well I hope BK doesn't just change his picks just for the sake of trying to be unpredictable.

As muc has some of you hate Brandan Wright and Crittenton, it's a helluva lot better than him going really crazy and taking something like Jeff Green, Brewer, or Young who are PURE SFs.

Taking a 2/3 at #3 is the worst possible thing we can do.

I think those who love/hate Conley and those who love/hate Brandan Wright/Yi can both agree on that.

I have a feeling that the ASG would overrule BK if he told them he wanted Wright at #3. Call it crazy, call it nothing more than an unrealistic hope- but that's still the way I feel. The fact is the ASG has been showing more balls lately, what with Woody being given the ultimatum next year, and one of the owners (I have no idea which one), when asked by Mark Bradley what the Hawks priority needs are this offseason- he replied point blank that those needs were and will be upgrades at PG and big man. It was pretty unequivocal.

So despite BK's fetish for the long and athletic forward, I'm not sure they'd allow him to indulge that particular fantasy anymore....especially with a pick as high as #3.

I *have* to believe that, man. If I don't, the thought just becomes too difficult to even stomach. If the ASG allows him to continue carrying on like that, then screw it. All hope is then lost, and though Belkin seems a snake, a sleaze, a creep, and a turd.....at that point I'd be ready to turn the keys to the whole operation over to him, because he could not POSSIBLY be any worse.

Quote:

I have a feeling that the ASG would overrule BK if he told them he wanted Wright at #3. Call it crazy, call it nothing more than an unrealistic hope- but that's still the way I feel.

Actually maybe it's not that unrealistic. I never thought of that.

Well IMO that would be terrible if we were forced to take Conley.

I mean sure he's better than a 2/3 but man would our 11th pick be a waste.

Then again, that may be unrealistic hope because if they don't trust BK they probably would have fired him.

So maybe the "Knightmare" does have full control and he will make the "Wright" choice

Just as long as it's not Julian that would be amazing

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

I have a feeling that the ASG would overrule BK if he told them he wanted Wright at #3. Call it crazy, call it nothing more than an unrealistic hope- but that's still the way I feel.

Actually maybe it's not that unrealistic. I never thought of that.

Well IMO that would be terrible if we were forced to take Conley.

I mean sure he's better than a 2/3 but man would our 11th pick be a waste.

It would be the first Knight draft decision aside from JS I didn't think was absolutely ridiculous. For the first time, when going after talent, he would get it Wright.

That 11th pick would be an absolute waste of a waste of a waste of a pick if we got Conley 3rd.

W

Quote:

That 11th pick would be an absolute waste of a waste of a waste of a pick if we got Conley 3rd.

W

The only way it wouldn't would be is if we traded Childress and the 11th back in the draft to get Noah.

Sure he's not a popular guy but he's a helluva lot better prospect than Spencer Hawes.

I'm down with Brendan Wright. He's got all the physical tools except for weight, and in the NBA that's not such a big deal anymore.

And he's not a project; he's extremely skilled. He's already fairly polished in the post - and the Hawks have NO ONE as polished as him in the paint. No one. We could really use a guy like that.

He just needs to get some range on his jumpshot, work on his foul shooting, and put on weight. But as far as height, length, athleticism, touch, etc., he's got it all. Shot blocking too. He and Josh Smith together could be deadly, or this could mean we trade Josh Smith for a physical center.

vdunk, he is a forward. You would rather take another forward? You dont think we have enough? This kid is going to be good but he has a ways to go.

We really don't need another Marvin deal. Different type of player but the same level of readiness. He will get thrown around in the paint and a reasonable man can;t dispute that...he is a feather.

Guest Walter

Quote:

We really don't need another Marvin deal. Different type of player but the same level of readiness.

Wright will produce significantly more (AT LEAST 3 more PPG, 2 more RPG as comparitive rookies) immediately and is BY FAR the better talent. If we don't need Wright AND MW, then trade MW.

W

Quote:

vdunk, he is a forward. You would rather take another forward? You dont think we have enough?

We don't need a SG either. The only positions we need are PG and C. However at #3 there are forwards that have inside game and potential. These players have no chance of being there at #11.

It seems the FO could feel that the best PG prospect will be availabe at #11. If that is your contention you must take Wright, Horford, or Yi with the first pick.

Quote:

I think the Hawks would be making a mistake by passing on Conley. Crittenton is a good prospect, but both he and Wright are too far away from being ready to contribute much. How much longer are Hawks fans (and Joe Johnson) supposed to wait?

For once, I think Ford hit it on the head. If this were 3 years ago, I could see us passing on Conley to gamble on the future potential of Wright / Crittenton, but not at this point in rebuilding, with no pick next year. We have two big needs, PG and C. We have the chance to adress one of them through draft, PG. Let's do it.

As for the ASG not letting BK take Wright, it could happen. Hell they told him LAST YEAR that he couldn't just go for the long term anymore and that the draft had to also produce immediate results, which is part of the reason behind drafting the "ready" Shelden who was going to help our #1 weakness immediately. I doubt they'd be happy with Wright/Crittenton.

Do the Conely crowd understand that if we take Conely at 3. Hawks will basically be forced to take another wingplayer. The #11 pick will be a complete waste. Convince me why it is alright to take Conely 3 and take another wingplayer at 11? Right now the Conely crowd is not stepping up to the plate on this one.

Quote:

Wright will produce significantly more (AT LEAST 3 more PPG, 2 more RPG as comparitive rookies) immediately and is BY FAR the better talent.

Wow, I love how people are able to make these highly definitive statements, based presumably upon their psychic abilities. I mean I don't see any other explanation for such emphatic and definitive declarations beyond a case of extreme psychic capabilities. Walter, are you related somehow to Nostradamus? Would you prefer we start calling you Walterdamus? confused.gif