• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Brandan Wright Is A POST PLAYER

BusBoyIsBack

Don't call him a swingman. Height doesn't make a swingman. Would anyone call Elton Brand a swingman? What about Paul Milsap?

I posted the interesting Brandan Wright stat on Real GM and these comments are well said:

"Wright had a terrific Freshman year that rivaled or bettered Tim Duncan and Chris Bosh. He is a future allstar PF... Guys dont appreciate post players anymore. All they know is the jumper and 3pt shot.

The thing that fans don't realize: Brandan Wrights strength is his ability to establish position on the block and make himself available for the pass. Spencer Hawes (who I like) can't do this, and he is much bigger. He shoots a higher % than better shooters, because he knows how to play the Low post! That is not an accident... I hear guys that dont know basketball, say BWright is 6'9 and can't shoot from the perimeter. "And 'so and so' is 6'9 and can shoot from 19'9. Therefore the guy who can hit the jumper must be the better player". Thats false... Perimeter players are a dime a dozen. Post players are invaluable. They are more RARE."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny because people who support Conley will be quick to point out when addressing Yi that being 7 feet doesn't make you a post player.

Yet for some reason it doesn't apply the other way around. Because Wright is 6'9-6'10 he can't be one. He's a swingman.

Im sensing a double-standard with that logic.

Bottomline is that Wright is anything but a swingman. His signature move is an unstoppable baby hook AROUND THE BASKET.

This guy brought up some good points. I mean we give Lawson credit for making B Wright's job look so easy, but maybe just maybe, BWright didn't get that open by accident. Maybe just maybe it's not accident the guy is in a category with Jabbar as the only player to shoot that exceptionally well as a Freshman. Perhaps it's because the guy just has a knack for finding holes in a defense and getting position down low.

Like he says, he doesn't see Spencer Hawes do this. Hell I KNOW Aaron Gray doesn't do this and he's close to 300 pounds.

So maybe just maybe getting position in the post isn't just about upper and lower body strength.

Perhaps there is an art to positioning.

I'm down with Brendan Wright. He's got all the physical tools except for weight, and in the NBA that's not such a big deal anymore.

And he's not a project; he's extremely skilled. He's already fairly polished in the post - and the Hawks have NO ONE as polished as him in the paint. No one. We could really use a guy like that.

He just needs to get some range on his jumpshot, work on his foul shooting, and put on weight. But as far as height, length, athleticism, touch, etc., he's got it all. Shot blocking too. He and Josh Smith together could be deadly, or this could mean we trade Josh Smith for a physical center.

Quote:

I know this doesn't tell you everything, but in this video, do you ever see Wright in the perimeter, he's a pure post player, making him a big man not a swing man.

BTW how can anybody not be intrigue by him, in this video, I know I showed it a million times.

I must have watched this a million times. YOu'r absolutely right.

The first time I saw it, still brainwashed by Oden/KD Mania telling and mostly just being a Yi Jianlian homer, I commented on that video about him potentially being a Hawk saying:

" I hope not. We have enough players his height. Also scares me how loaded this team was. He didn't exactly have to work that hard for any of those baskets with all those good dishes"

But that's before I saw the light. First of all, I remembered how this guy was actually even ranked higher than Kevin Durant and instead of being compared to Bosh he was compared to Kevin Garnett.

Second of all, I remembered that size doesn't make a post player, mentality and skillset does.

Sure Wright may be 6'9 but he is not another swingman by any stretch of the imagination. He is a pure POST PLAYER.

And many of those basksets look easy are not only because of his teammates are finding him, but because he is GETTING OPEN.

That kickout and repositioning using his long arms he did in that video is a thing of beauty.

Really that game showed all of Wright's skills. He showed you his pure athleticism with the backdoor alleyhoop. Showed you his knack for finding holes in a defense catching a couple balls down low and finishing. Showed you his ability to get position in the post and to kick out the ball for repositioning. Also showed the ability to put the ball on the floor a little bit and make a pullup jumper with soft touch. And he showed the ability to make a baseline jumper. And of course we can't forget the unstoppable lefty hook.

Didn't notice it at first because my judgment was clouded.

SO I understand how his critics can have clouded judgment because I temporarily had it myself.

But since then I've seen the light.

I've composed the unprecendented stats.

Im 100% sold on Brandan Wright.

Quote:

I too am on the Wright bandwagon. I am convinced he is the best pick at 3 for our future.

Me too. Even to the point where I'd actually prefer him over Yi and trust me I was riding the Yi wagon really hard.

Brandan Wright may not be physically mature in the weight and strength department but his basketball IQ is mature beyond his years with the way he plays the post.

THAT is why he is no project player. He's got the mental aspect down which is A WHOLE LOT TOUGHER to get down.

He can get the weight in his first few years in the league.

But the fact that the guy is fundamentally sound beyond those years is just plain scary which is why when he does get the physical aspect down, my goodness gracious, this guy is going to be a freak of nature.

Just think, he shot 66% with an average jumper. Imagine how efficient he will be in the NBA when he improves his midrange game.

Quote:

If wright could shoot just a little bit, even a mid range game id be all for us drafting him. Im not sure if he can develop a game outside of around the free throw line in his career which could be a problem if he would need to be a go to guy.

I think he can and Im not just saying that.

It seems he has soft touch and decent form.

I really think as he gets stronger and as those mechanics are worked on this guy is going to be a scoring machine.

Quote:

Quote:

If wright could shoot just a little bit, even a mid range game id be all for us drafting him. Im not sure if he can develop a game outside of around the free throw line in his career which could be a problem if he would need to be a go to guy.

I think he can and Im not just saying that.

It seems he has soft touch and decent form.

I really think as he gets stronger and as those mechanics are worked on this guy is going to be a scoring machine.

Don't forget his defense, this is really what I felt in love with. his Athletic ability, Wingspan, and him being 6'10 (hopefully), all tell me, he's going to be a monster defender, a defensive anchor for many years. Think a taller Tyrus Thomas.

"I really think as he gets stronger and as those mechanics are worked on this guy is going to be a scoring machine. "

Strength shouldn't have to do with anything on your shot, if anything the stronger you are the worse your shot usually is, at least for a big man. A nice touch and shot are 2 different things. I guess I should of said jumpshot. He puts way to much ark on the ball for being 6'9. He shoots it like he less than 6 feet tall. He seems like the guy that never worked on his shot growing up, just played a lot of pick up games with his friends and developed some decent moves.

Long, athletic big men with length and quickness who are skilled in the post with their back to the basket...there aren't many of them...and basically, if you've got someone like that you're usually talking about an all-star.

So I think Wright could really be exactly what we need. Chris Bosh, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jermaine O'Neal, Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett....they're is definitely some precedent for skinny, athletic, skilled PF's succeeding in the league. I think we may have a chance to draft another guy in that mold right here, and I don't think we should pass it up.

That could mean we have to make some trades. But I can even imagine Josh Smith and Brendan Wright turning into a nightmare front court. Smoove is a freak athlete with amazing timing and he's getting pretty strong, while Wright has extreme length and is very athletic and provides skill in the post that we just don't have right now. And both guys are so quick that they may have the advantage over the lumbering strong guys.

CHAD FORD'S SCOUTING REPORT:

Positives: Wright is a super long, athletic big man who spends most of his time around the basket. Runs the floor very well and knows how to get to the rim. Very quick and explosive. Can be a smothering defender.

Negatives: Strength is a major issue. He needs at least 20 pounds or more to play his position in the pros. Lacks great perimeter skills at the moment. At times he plays with a lack intensity. Will float at times. His rebounding and shot blocking numbers are a little disappointing considering what he's capable of.

Summary: On potential, he has the chance to be a NBA All-Star. And so far he's proven that with a strong freshman season for Carolina. He has all the tools to be great and his strong performance in the NCAA tournament should guarantee him a spot in the Top 10 with a chance to go as high as the No. 3 pick in the draft.

DRAFT EXPRESS:

In what is usually the case for Roy Williams’ supremely talented youngster, Brandan Wright once again showed flashes of downright amazing ability against Georgetown this afternoon. In addition to the usual assortment of athletic dunks, rebounds and fast break exploits, Wright showed off immense offensive skill in specific moments. But at the same time, there were also rough patches. He struggled to finish several times in the second half, and couldn’t contain Jeff Green to save his life.

As far as the offense goes, of course we are talking about the pair of jump hook-half floater moves that were nothing short of NBA-caliber. With Wright’s wingspan, body control and athleticism, such as shot is virtually impossible to block, no matter which league Wright is playing in. Even more impressive was the touch with which he finished the scores, something that he has struggled with for most of the season. It was certainly Wright’s night in the shooting department, as the sub-par free throw shooter managed to convert all 6 of his attempts at the charity stripe. Simply put, if Wright can become more consistent with these types of moves, it won’t be long before he is proving right all those that have compared him to Chris Bosh.

Clearly the second most impressive performance in the ACC tournament (after Brandon Costner) belonged to Brandan Wright of North Carolina. Not looking like he broke a sweat the entire weekend, Wright needed to step for the Tar Heels since Tyler Hansbrough wasn’t himself playing with a broken nose.

Wright glided up and down the court effortlessly in every moment he was on the floor, not forcing a thing and looking extremely comfortable in his role as a finisher in and around the paint. At times you feel like things are just too easy for Wright at this level, as he’s never asked to go outside of what he does best and is therefore a little more difficult to evaluate than the Odens and Durants of the world, who need to shoulder much bigger roles for their teams. This is exactly why he managed to shoot nearly 70% from the field from the tournament, and is converting 66% of his field goals on the year.

Regardless, he seems to be showing a little more every game he steps out on the floor, for example in knocking down a 14-foot jumper from the baseline or creating a little bit off the dribble for himself. He gets his points primarily though moving off the ball intelligently within Carolina’s loaded lineup and presenting himself for easy catches and finishes within 8 feet of the hoop, usually with his gorgeous left-handed jump-hook.

What did stand out more than anything was the phenomenal athleticism, length, touch and instincts he has at his disposal. He’s a fluid athlete with excellent quickness and body control, able to explode off the floor effortlessly to finish bounce passes with a two handed dunk, catch alleyoops thanks to his terrific hands, block shots on occasion, or put-back any offensive rebounds that are lurking around the rim. One play that showed how his tools can be brought together all at once occurred deep in the second half of UNC’s blowout victory over Florida State. Wright ran the floor smoothly in transition with his guards and was thrown an errant alley-oop lob well out of his range, but somehow managed to still elevate and get a finger tip on the pass as it was sailing out of bounds to convert the basket with his left hand. These are the kind of instances where it clearly doesn’t hurt to have a 7-5 wingspan. On another simple play against Boston College, Wright went over the top of a couple of Golden Eagle defenders and stuck his hand in out of nowhere to tip out a defensive rebound to a streaking Bobby Frasor running down court for an easy layup in transition. You might not have thought much of it at the time, but there are only a select number of players in the NCAA who can make a play like that, let alone do it so easily.

Although he seems to be playing slightly harder than he did earlier in the year, phrases like “effortless” and “too easy” don’t get to attached to him for nothing. For example, there’s no excuse why a player with his tools should only pull down 11 rebounds over a three game stretch playing 30 minutes per game. This is the main beef scouts we spoke with in Tampa had with him, wondering just what kind of drive he has to be the best possible player he can be. That’s also where the comparisons to Channing Frye and LaMarcus Aldridge are coming from, although he’s clearly an even more naturally gifted player than those two. If he played with even half the intensity of his teammate Tyler Hansbrough, we might even be having a discussion about him competing with Oden and Durant for the #1 pick. It’s not that he’s lazy, he just has a very calm and relaxed demeanor to him. That’s all nice and dandy playing alongside a roster that is chock full of NBA talent, but at the next level that just won’t fly if he’s to reach his full potential.

It’s hard not to wonder how much better (or worse?) Wright might be if he was playing on a team with slightly less talent that allows him to just coast at times and score so easily off his terrific playmakers and the attention Tyler Hansbrough draws. Unfortunately, we might have to wait until he’s in the NBA to find that out.

From that same Draft Express profile.

Quote:

But as the game wore on, Wright seemed to lose his edge. His length and athleticism stopped appearing on the offensive glass and in the open court, while he struggled to finish against physical Georgetown defenders.
But the real problem came on the defensive end, where Green abused him in pretty much every imaginable manner. Whether it was poor awareness that led to backdoor cuts and easy points, a lack of foot speed on the perimeter, and absolutely no physical intensity or toughness, Wright basically let Green do what he wanted for most of the game. This is particularly disappointing to see from a player with such immense raw potential on the defensive end.

Quote:

In terms of evaluating his face-up game, tonight was a step back for North Carolina’s talented freshman. He struggled putting the ball on the floor effectively and hitting any of his attempts from outside of the paint, missing a mid-range jumper from around the free throw line and on another occasion not even hitting the rim on another attempt.

You're right about him not being a swingman, however...

Quote:

The thing that fans don't realize: Brandan Wrights strength is his ability to establish position on the block and make himself available for the pass.

This strength is what will disappear at the NBA level. 210 lb PFs can't post up in the NBA. Bigger men don't allow them to get position anywhere near the paint and push them all the way out to the 3 point line if they want to. That's the problem. He won't be able to use his only skills until he SERIOUSLY bulks up to the point where he can hold his own in the post at the NBA level.

Quote:

Second of all, I remembered that size doesn't make a post player, mentality and skillset does.

Ok, then why do you seem unable to apply that same criteria to your other favored boy, Yi Jianlian....rather than this foolishness about "Hey! Let's stick him in the middle! He's 7 feet tall!".