• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith has played his last game as a Hawk

Admin

Just why would we trade a 21 year old who has just spent the last 3 years developing on our time when he is finally on the cusp of great things?

We have paid our dues with Smith, the payoff should be coming. Smith is the kind of player you build around. BK better keep his head in this deal.

Quote:

Just why would we trade a 21 year old who has just spent the last 3 years developing on our time when he is finally on the cusp of great things?

We have paid our dues with Smith, the payoff should be coming. Smith is the kind of player you build around. BK better keep his head in this deal.

The one unknown is how things stood at the end of the year after Smoove butted heads with Woody. Don't really know how big a dea that was?? He came back and apologized, but you wonder if it caused any real damage? And if it did, who do look at getting rid of? Smoove or Woody. Smoove is a very unique talent and that CANNOT BE SAID FOR WOODY.

I'd be sick if it happened. Josh has been in the top 3 in blocks the last two years. His game is improving leaps and bounds. He started to put together a post game last year. He defends the rim like very few in this league. He constantly gets us easy points by pushing the ball on a change of possesion. There were times in the last two years where I kept the game on while we were getting blown out just to see if he'd make some kind of spectacular play. Yes he takes too many jumpers and he gets mad at times. I think he'll learn to deal with his emotions better as he grows older. I think that some of that anger is healthy. To me, it means he actually gives a sh!t. I can't say the same for some of our other guys who look to be going through the motions at times.

I honestly hope we do not trade him because I enjoy watching him play. If we do, we better get someone real good in return. If BK trades him for some project player or another journeyman point guard, it will be really difficult to stomach.

Quote:

Quote:

People don't realize how good Gasol is.

Tons better than any post player we have.
grin.gif

PG isn't a track and field athlete at 6'7 1/2" ...he is a SEVEN FOOT player who knows what the - #+*%* he is doing.

On offense true, but on defense he won't help us much and he doesn't want to be in Memphis, what makes you think he wants to be in Atlanta. Bogut is still on his rookie deal and has two years left, and was in a system in Mil that he didn't and will never fit, Atlanta would be a great fit for him if he draft Brandan Wright.

Where did the talk of trading for Bogut come from. has that been in print or just fantasy league? They don't have a surplus of bigs do they?

Rumor has it that the Lakers Want Camby. I wonder if they would consider trading Bynum for Smoove. They are not going to give him away if they trade him at all. But Smoove might be one they would consider. Not sure how he would play along side Kobe, but the LA crowd would love his play. He's be a real stud out there in the California sun.

Quote:

I agree. But if we don't have a choice and BK has made up his mind Gasol is probably the best guy we can get in return.

Personally I wouldn't even trade Smoove for Amare Stoudemire.

I think when Smoove is Amare's age he will be just as good except more explosive.

But like I said, if BK is feeling the heat and he reallly wants that C prospect Smoove may be the only person enticing enough to the Grizzlies.

But if we somehow fleeced them for Marvin Williams and kept the 3rd we'd have the most ridiculous team in the NBA.

Javaris Crittenton

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

Brandan Wright

Pau Gasol

Ring in 2 years IMO

I was a "tiny bit" intoxicated last night when I posted that and didn't mean to freak anyone out.

Perhaps the internet rumors aren't true. Perhaps it's simply coincidence that we are looking at drafting another forward with our top pick. I would have never imagined that we would trade Josh Smith and in all honesty I hope that we don't. I would much rather trade Marvin, but I don't believe he has the same value as Smith. The big question that has to be answered though is can he ever learn to keep his emotions in check and how is his relationship with Woody and his teammates.

Of course this is just my opinion, but someone has to be traded this offseason. We have too many talented forwards and a big need at PG and an even bigger need at C. Smith and Childress make the most sense simply because of their contracts being due for a big raise soon. Childress won't command nearly as much and can play SG, where we have a bigger need than SF/PF like what Smith does. Not to mention Smith has much more value around the league and can get us a damn good player in return. I don't see Marvin or Shelden being traded because they are high lottery picks and are still improving, plus they are both very intelligent players and that is very important to not overlook.

Bottom line is that if anyone of our recent 1st rounders are traded I believe it will be Smith (with the exception of Childress being the throw in player in the potential Aldridge/Jack deal because Smith is too valuable to give up in addition to the #3 pick for those guys).

Quote:

If the Hawks pick Wright it will be the 3rd year in a row they have used a top 5 pick on someone to compete with Smith for minutes. It will also be the 3rd year in a row they have picked someone who won't help them right away.

A Wright/Crit draft means another losing season next year for sure. I know Smith is sick of losing.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Smith asks for a trade if they pick Wright, and i wouldn't blame him at all.

I would not be suprised if the whole team ask for a trade if we take Wright at #3.

JJ and Smoove would both be pissed.

Who do you think the players want ? Wright or Gasol ?

Well, I've heard from more than one source now that Josh Smith is the player the Hawks will dangle, if it comes to it, to deal the 3rd pick. Sothron's source seems to indicate this as well. It does make me wonder about the talk of him having problems with some of his teammates in the locker room. Those rumors may have some credence now, and the Hawks may be looking at moving a talented but immature player.

Josh Smith is arguably the most talented player on the team Joe Johnson Including. He is a crowd pleaser, fan favorite and local home town kid who wants to put the Atlanta Hawks on the map. I have not read one article that states Smith is a bad lockeroom guy and that the Hawks are looking to trade him. All this just made up bs and rumors I dont see why the Hawks would trade a kid like Smith who has unlimited potential and will lead the league in blocked shots for many years with a few allstar bids. The players that should be being offered in trades are the botched picks of Marvin Williams , Shelden Williams and Childress to a certent extent. These are the mistakes BK made these are the players that I would trade because they have no where the talent and impact that Smith has on the game. One of the few players that can dominate a game on both ends of the court. But now that I think of it those other 3 guys have no value because they just arent that good so maybe thats why Smiths name is the 1st one brought up. Me personally would be shocked if Smoove is traded. Him and Joe Johnson seem to have a feel for each other and like playing together Joe throwing him the opps and Smoove hitting Joe for the 3 ball. The best two things on the Hawks right now are Joe Johnson allstar play and the excitement athelism and potential of Josh Smith. Other then that this team would be unwatchable.

It better be a damn good player. I would NOT EVER do Josh Smith/#3 for Aldridge/Jack.

...but the more I think about it, it looks like BK has set it up to where he can part easily part with Smoove. He drafted a 4 and a 4/5 last year in Shellhead & Soloman. If he is eyeing Aldridge, thats just another player that could take Smoove's spot.

It's very disappointing for me to think about.

• Premium Member

Well, Smoove was never a 4. That's the problem... Smoove is a rover 3.. similar to Shawn Marion but with more muscle. He's closer to being a 3 than being a 4. However, we had to make space for Marvin who is nothing but a 3. If we get Aldridge, I think we can drop Shelden into the 5 and let Aldridge play his natural position of 4. I would hope that we had Smoove to play the 3 in a zone because that would give us an ultra nasty defense. We'd be the NEW & Improved detroit pistons.

Quote:

I was a "tiny bit" intoxicated last night when I posted that and didn't mean to freak anyone out.

Perhaps the internet rumors aren't true. Perhaps it's simply coincidence that we are looking at drafting another forward with our top pick. I would have never imagined that we would trade Josh Smith and in all honesty I hope that we don't. I would much rather trade Marvin, but I don't believe he has the same value as Smith. The big question that has to be answered though is can he ever learn to keep his emotions in check and how is his relationship with Woody and his teammates.

Of course this is just my opinion, but someone has to be traded this offseason. We have too many talented forwards and a big need at PG and an even bigger need at C. Smith and Childress make the most sense simply because of their contracts being due for a big raise soon. Childress won't command nearly as much and can play SG, where we have a bigger need than SF/PF like what Smith does. Not to mention Smith has much more value around the league and can get us a damn good player in return. I don't see Marvin or Shelden being traded because they are high lottery picks and are still improving, plus they are both very intelligent players and that is very important to not overlook.

Bottom line is that if anyone of our recent 1st rounders are traded I believe it will be Smith (with the exception of Childress being the throw in player in the potential Aldridge/Jack deal because Smith is too valuable to give up in addition to the #3 pick for those guys).

Did you do anything else last night that your sorry about? No harm . . . . no foul.

Guest Walter

Quote:

...Shelden and Marvin. Both are very intelligent players who play within themselves and don't lose control on the court or in the locker room.

The implication is JS "is not an intelligent player", "doesn't play within himself", and "is out of control everywhere".

Frankly, this sort of corporate BS pisses me off more that anything. JS is the only player who wants to win enough that he gives a damn. SW and MW simply don't have the fire or intensity, the desire to be great assuming they have the talent to (which they don't IMO). JS' one serious outburst was frankly directed at the right person and is the product of watching a front office and ownership incompetence related to itself and their affection for the coach.

Frankly, I WANT players with JS's fire and intensity OVER players with MW's and SW's level of desire. I don't want a team full of demur stepford wives!

Regardless, the thinly veiled attacks against JS have got to stop. They are PRECISELY what you would hear from corporate ASG if JS were to be traded. That makes them more likely false than true and wrong not right. They are VERY irresponsible comments.

W

I couldn't see him being that bad either. It seems like he has a good rapport with his team mates on the court and on the bench, but I'm not in the locker room so I don't know.

The part that makes me think BK may look to deal him is the fact that we are looking at B.Wright and the fact that we have a lot of depth at the 3/4. You also have his contract situation coming up which I think Josh will look to get somewhere around what Josh Howard got. I just don't see the ASG dealing out that kind of money unless we dump some salary somewhere.

I think one thing is for sure, BK at some point will have to choose which Josh he is going to re-sign because I don't think he will be given the $$$ to re-sign them both.