Wow. Sekou goes postal on J. Smith rumor.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

AJC Hawks blog

Quote:

Some dope somewhere started a rumor about Josh Smith being on the trading block now that the Hawks have a couple of lottery picks and could be in position to “replace” him with the likes of Brandan Wright or Al Horford (or one of the other forward types in this draft).

Um, on a stupid scale ranging from 1 to 10, with 10 being stupid beyond reason, I’d say that’s close to 1,000. Let’s just do the math. Last I checked Josh Smith will make roughly $1.4 million for the 2007-08 season, making him arguably the NBA’s best bargain (when you consider his production). He won’t make as much money as the No. 3 or No. 11 pick this season. Did you hear me? This guy is the best bargain in the league.

Once you factor in that he’s a hometown kid, arguably the Hawks’ most recognizable face and box office draw (for whatever that’s worth), one of the league’s top two shot blockers at 21 and still has a ceiling that he’s nowhere close to touching as of yet, the idea of trading Smith now or anytime soon remains the absolute dumbest idea I’ve heard since … how about forever.

Does he have some quirks in his personality that need to be worked out? Sure. Does he need to mature and develop some post moves (so he’ll stop leaning on an outside shot that is streaky at best)? Absolutely.

But if you think there’s a player available in this draft besides Greg Oden that can provide as much bang for the buck as Smith will this season, you need to grab a roll of Bounty and clean off your Coke bottle glasses. Seriously, get the idea of Josh Smith being traded completely out of your mind. It’s foolishness and should not be discussed seriously beyond right now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Whoever thought Smoove was on the trading block OBVIOUSLY knows nothing about this team or his ability. Smoove is going to be a star in this league for years to come. He isn't going anywhere.

• Premium Member

If Sekou was talking about me then I ask him to post here about it and not hide on his own blog. Its not my fault he's about a negative 1000 on a scale of 1 to 10 of covering the Hawks on the Jason Walker scale.

FWIW both Wright and Horford are in fact being seriously considered at #3 and teams are in fact inquiring about both Chill and Smoove. And the Hawks are at least considering trading one if they feel it will upgrade the need for a big man.

There is ABSOLUTLEY no way Smoove is going to be traded!! Let's not even talk about it. Your sources are not accurate if that is what your saying. I can see Childress but Sekou pretty much squashed all this 'Smoove on the trading block' nonsense and I agree with him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

FWIW both Wright and Horford are in fact being seriously considered at #3 and teams are in fact inquiring about both Chill and Smoove. And the Hawks are at least considering trading one if they feel it will upgrade the need for a big man.

According to Andy Katz, Wright expects to go top4. I think Chad Ford is right, and the Hawks are going to go with Wright/Crittenton.

Barring a draft-day trade, I think Smith could very well be moved. Why? Smith and Wright have a number of similarities...

Both are incredibly athletic, great shot-blockers, poor mid-range shooters, have trouble handling the ball...

• Premium Member

I never said my sources said he was on the trading block. I said the front office was at least open to the idea of trading him or Chill if it can net a big man in return. That's a pretty big difference. I don't know if i'm specifically who Sekou is talking about but if that passes for his reading comprehension, well, 'nuff said. tongue.gif

In one of Sekou's follow up post - he writes this about Horford in that same blog:

"He looked every bit of that 6-10 to me and he’s put together, so I could see him as an undersized center type in the mold of Amare (and NO, I’m not comparing the man to Amare in any other way) and then grabbing the PG (Conley or whoever) with another pick that the Hawks will have to move up to get if they want to have their choice."

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

not
hide
on his own blog.

Preface: I don't know Sekou, and I don't know Sothron...

Just a little confused, and with all due respect... that's hiding?

If someone comes by this site and reads a post from say Walter and instead of posting and saying "Hey Walter that's crazy!" on THAT site and instead goes to his own blog and starts taking shots at Walter knowing its going to be posted back on this site...yes, I considering that hiding.

If you feel that strongly about something then why not confront it at the source?

Your insane if you think Wright is ANYWHERE near the type of player Smith is. That is a ludicrous statement. You guys need to really quit all this garbage talk about taking Wright and then moving Smoove. It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense when Smooove is cheaper and better than Wright. Did you guys see Smoove play last year or what? The dude put up 16pts, 8reb, 3ast and 3blks a game last year. He is going NOWHERE!

No offense Sothron but I think Sekou has more inside information and credibilty than you do considering he is actually around Hawks personnel on a daily basis. I'm not saying they tell him anything(which i'm sure they don't) but i'm assuming his eyes and ears hear more than anyone on this site would about potential moves the Hawks could make. I totally believe him about this nonsense about Smoove being on the trading block.

• Premium Member

Do you understand what being on the trading block versus possibly being traded if it improves one specific need means?

That is a huge difference. Its like saying the Wizards would trade Gilbert Arenas to get Lebron James. So is Arenas on the trading block or is he possibly being traded for one specific reason? Putting someone on the trading block means you are openly shopping him for whatever reason. That is not what the Hawks are doing nor is it what I have reported on this forum.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not
hide
on his own blog.

Preface: I don't know Sekou, and I don't know Sothron...

Just a little confused, and with all due respect... that's hiding?

If someone comes by this site and reads a post from say Walter and instead of posting and saying "Hey Walter that's crazy!" on THAT site and instead goes to his own blog and starts taking shots at Walter knowing its going to be posted back on this site...yes, I considering that hiding.

If you feel that strongly about something then why not confront it at the source?

Sure, if he's naming names. But, he doesn't. And fwiw, it's my own interpretation that it wasn't aimed at you, but at TXPete's recent thread... and at that, not necessarily even at TXPete himself. The header on that thread was startling, and I could see Sekou surfing thru HS and barely even noticing who wrote what, but just mainly interested to combat the idea put on the table.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Your insane if you think Wright is ANYWHERE near the type of player Smith is. That is a ludicrous statement. You guys need to really quit all this garbage talk about taking Wright and then moving Smoove. It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense when Smooove is cheaper and better than Wright. Did you guys see Smoove play last year or what? The dude put up 16pts, 8reb, 3ast and 3blks a game last year. He is going NOWHERE!

First, you're being narrow-minded, and that's something that four years under GM Knight should have weaned from your system.

Second, I'm not saying that Wright would be anywhere near as good a PF as Smith in his rookie season. It would be a potential pick, of course.

Third, show me one other place where I've even advocated for Brandan Wright. That's a false argument.

Fourth, Wright projects as a finesse PF. Guess what position Josh Smith plays? Finesse PF. I don't think you can afford to play them next to each other, and Marvin seems entrenched at the SF spot.

Quote:

Quote:

According to Andy Katz, Wright expects to go top4. I think Chad Ford is right, and the Hawks are going to go with Wright/Crittenton.

Barring a draft-day trade, I think Smith could very well be moved. Why? Smith and Wright have a number of similarities...

Both are incredibly athletic, great shot-blockers, poor mid-range shooters, have trouble handling the ball...

I think a Wright/Crittendon draft is worst case scenario for the Hawks. Both are likely two years away from contributing.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think a Wright/Crittendon draft is worst case scenario for the Hawks. Both are likely two years away from contributing.

I could think of worse possibilities (like a Renaldo Balkman-type scenario), but you're right, the Hawks need to do better.

Either there's some major disinfo floating, or a trade has already been arranged.

Guest Walter

Quote:

It's about winning a title, right?

Wright "contributes" more than any player at 11. Crittenton or Conley, both being 19 year old Pgs, would start as BU but I could see both starting by season's end.

W

Quote:

Quote:

It's about winning a title, right?

Wright "contributes" more than any player at 11. Crittenton or Conley, both being 19 year old Pgs, would start as BU but I could see both starting by season's end.

W

I don't think Wright is the type of guy that wins you a title.

Outside of Oden and Durant there are not superstar talents in this draft. Since the Hawks currently lack a superstar talent, and there are none available for them to draft, their only chance at a title is to win like the Pistons with a strong team based approach. The Hawks need to get a point guard who can help maximize the talent of the Hawks young forwards and get a center who can either score in the post or defend (preferably both but outside of Oden no such player is available in the draft).

I can't believe you of all people support getting Wright given how much you hate Marvin. Wright is just as much of a "project" as Marvin.

A Wright/Critt draft almost guarantees another 2-3 years of BK giving excuses about being young as a reason for not winning.

Sothron, your the one that came on this thread and said you thought Sekou was talking about YOU in his latest blog. If you never said anything about Smoove being on the trading block then why did you come on here and say you thought Sekou was talking about you? You just contradicted yourself.