• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If we have to draft at #3 and #11 who do you want?

Sothron

• Premium Member

Let us assume that we can not find a trade that works for us and that the Hawks stay at #3 and #11 in the draft.

Who do you want to draft at those spots? Assume no trades for your answer. I am genuinely curious as to who you guys would want especially at #3 if we have to stay there. The only bonafide center prospect is Oden and we know he's not going to be there. Conley is apparently Speedy Claxtonesque in his shooting ability. Who excatly does that leave to draft at #3? Yi? Wright? Horford? Who?

I am not trying to belittle anyone but as much as I hate to admit this I really can't find too many guys that are locks for the #3 spot that don't already duplicate our forward spots.

Edit: The main gist of this comes off an email from one of the sources that basically asked me the same question. If the Hawks can NOT find a trade partner how much of an uproar would it cause if the Hawks first pick was on a forward and then draft a PG at #11?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

I am not trying to belittle anyone but as much as I hate to admit this I really can't find too many guys that are locks for the #3 spot that don't already duplicate our forward spots.

I don't either, and that's why I think a trade for a veteran is a must. You're just going to have to make a trade later, if you don't make one now.

Good question. Right now, I think I would go

3= Yi

11= Critt

Those two seem to provide the best mix if the roster remains as is. That said, I am not completely sold on Yi, with Horford and Wright catching up. I am not sold on drafting Conely at 3 right now, either. I don't see much difference in potential between he and Critt.

It all depends on what the measurements will be honestly. If Horford measures out to at least 6'10 then maybe he could play Center. I'm an advocate for not taking Conley at #3 because I think that is too early plus I beleive Javaris could be the better PG between the two down the line. And we could easily get Javaris at #11. At #3 I would take who I think could possibly play Center for us. That would be Horford, Yi, Noah, Hawes. With that being said taking Noah or Hawes at #3 is way too early as well so we would want to trade down some if possible. If were not talking about the value the #3 pick has then you take Horford, Noah, Yi or Hawes and Javaris at #11. Ideally I think we need to trade the #3 pick in a package to get a REAL center like JO, Camby, or whoever that can man the position.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't either, and that's why I think a trade for a veteran is a must. You're just going to have to make a trade later, if you don't make one now.

Make your list then of veterans that you think would be in a Hawks uniform for the #3 pick

• Premium Member

To be honest, I don't think it really makes that much of a difference between Horford, Yi, and Wright. All three are poor fits unless the Hawks trade Smith or Shelden.

I'm fine with either Law or Conley if they're available at #11. Crittenton only makes sense if you plan on getting a starting PG in (yet another) trade.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Ideally I think we need to trade the #3 pick in a package to get a REAL center like JO, Camby, or whoever that can man the position.

You would trade the # 3 pick for Camby? You can forget about JO coming here, Dude makes $18 mil per year

I like 2 scerios:

1.a.) #3 Hoford & #11 Law

If Hoford measures a legit 6'10'' in shoes and has a decent standing reach I think he is stong enough to play center and is more skilled then ZaZa. If Law shows he is a average or better on ball defender in work outs I like Law at #11. If Law's defense is not up to par lets roll the dice on Critt at #11.

or

1.b) #3 Conley & #11 Hawes or Noah.

This is if Conley blows us away in his workout. I hate to see him become the next Tony Parker and be the 10th future allstar PG we passed on for a team that desperatly needs PG help.

If there is no big man available I would look at the 6'6'' SG out of USC. We do need guard depth or a wing such as Green, Young or J. Wright that would drop to #11. At least that gives the squad another young asset to package with our expiring contracts in a trade before the deadline to better balance the roster. I see a more atheltic SF being ideal, Marvin could blossom with a mean streak and be a monster of a SF. If Marvin can't develop a mean streak I'd like a guy lighter /quicker on his feet long term at SF.

Basically IF Conley does not seperate himself significantly from Critt and Law in workouts I would pass on him at #3 for Hoford at #3 and get the best of Law / Critt at #11.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This is if Conley blows us away in his workout. I hate to see him become the next Tony Parker and be the 10th future allstar PG we passed on fora team that desperatly needs PG help.

You realize that parker is not a passing point guard in that he has averaged only 5.4 assist per game for his career. And he is really not a good outside shooter. Parker would not have sniff the all star game with out Duncan. He is not that good!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Make your list then of veterans that you think would be in a Hawks uniform for the #3 pick

Players that *could* be available in a trade involving either the #3 or #11 pick:

Point -

Brevin Knight

Devin Harris (playoff exp. is veteran-like)

Jamaal Tinsley (wouldn't require picks IMO)

Jason Williams

Andre Miller

Jarrett Jack (debatable as a vet)

Mike Bibby

Luke Ridnour

Earl Watson

Jose Calderon

TJ Ford

Big -

Marcus Camby

Nazr Mohammed

Jeff Foster

Elton Brand (a stretch, I know)

Chris Kaman

Pau Gasol

Stromile Swift

Samuel Dalembert

Joel Przybilla (injury concerns)

Chris Wilcox

Rasho Nesterovic (yah!)

Brendan Haywood

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Players that *could* be available in a trade involving either the #3 or #11 pick:

Point -

Brevin Knight

Devin Harris (playoff exp. is veteran-like)

Jamaal Tinsley (wouldn't require picks IMO)

Jason Williams

Andre Miller

Jarrett Jack (debatable as a vet)

Mike Bibby

Luke Ridnour

Earl Watson

Jose Calderon

TJ Ford

Big -

Marcus Camby

Nazr Mohammed

Jeff Foster

Elton Brand (a stretch, I know)

Chris Kaman

Pau Gasol

Stromile Swift

Samuel Dalembert

Joel Przybilla (injury concerns)

Chris Wilcox

Rasho Nesterovic (yah!)

Brendan Haywood

Would you trade the 3rd pick in the draft for any of those guys?

Your probably right about JO but i'm just throwing out some names of legit NBA veterans that can play Center. Obviously we couldn't trade the #3 pick straight up for Camby because it wouldn't work salary wise. So it would be part of a package.

Quote:

Quote:

This is if Conley blows us away in his workout. I hate to see him become the next Tony Parker and be the 10th future allstar PG we passed on fora team that desperatly needs PG help.

You realize that parker is not a passing point guard in that he has averaged only 5.4 assist per game for his career. And he is really not a good outside shooter. Parker would not have sniff the all star game with out Duncan. He is not that good!

Every one is entitled to their opinion.

The NBA coaches thought Parker was good enough to be in the last 2 all star games for the Western Conference.

While Parker is not good at everything he is the best in the NBA at a few things that happen to be Conley's strengths too:

1. Dribble /drive penetration

2. Top end speed running the floor with the basketball.

3. On ball defense

4. Steals

Parker also has the discipline to play for one of the most demanding coaches in he NBA. He is very coachable something that is essential for a young PG.

agreed..i think a trade HAS to be done because really it serves not much of a purpose for the Hawks to continue to get younger...

in any case to answer the point of the thread......

IF Conley performs a whole hell of a lot better in the workouts then i take him with #3 and BPA at #11 in (in order of how I would like them) Noah/Hawes/Thornton..i could go with splitter but #11 looks too high for him and even though thornton is a forward, i think he'll be really good and at #11 isnt bad pick.

sidenote- i don't think conley's shot is as bad as speedy's even if his workouts are poor in that area. my shot isnt as bad as speedy's..conley will get a better shot. he will have an ok shot starting off, sort of like tjford.

IF Conley shoots poorly in his workouts as he did in his first one then i take BPA at #3 and AcieLaw at #11 (take Critt if Law is not available). at #3 under BPA, i say Yi just because he has some size and star qualities and his skill set, although not needed, is different than our other players which provides us with new opportunities. i do not want Wright at all and although Horford could be intriguing i think he duplicates Shelden...

side note- nbadraft.net has both law and critt falling quite a bit...critt at 15 and law at 20...if that is the case i wouldnt mind trading the #11 and Lue for detroit's #15 and #27..that way we get one of the two points above and get someone like Stuckey with #27.

Again were not trading the #3pick straight up for one of those players. It would have to be part of a package to make the salaries work since every one of those guys makes more than what the #3 pick would make his first year. We could pick up another piece as well as our center. Out of those realistically I could see us get Haywood, Dalembert,or Camby maybe along with another player. Maybe trade the #11 pick and an expiring for Haywood and Jarvis Hayes or something. The options are limitless here in what BK could do.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Obviously we couldn't trade the #3 pick straight up for Camby because it wouldn't work salary wise. So it would be part of a package.

You have correctly identified the problem trying to trade the pick for an established player. Money! The trade would work for players that are still playing under their rookie contracts like Bynum and Aldridge but not for big money players like J.O. or Gasol. We would have to trade Joe Johnson in the trade to even come close to matching the salaries. This is why we are stuck with the pick! So make the pick everyone!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Gasol.

I didn't even list the young PG/bigs I think could be available for the right offer (e.g., LaMarcus Aldridge). I also didn't even list players that a S&T could be arranged for...

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Gasol.

I didn't even list the young PG/bigs I think could be available for the right offer (e.g., LaMarcus Aldridge). I also didn't even list players that a S&T could be arranged for...

I think that Aldridge is a finesse power forward just like Smith. Plus I don't think that he is available anyway. S&T requires that you match the dollars. If it is an expensive free agent we would have to package a lot of players or joe to make it happen. We are stuck with the pick unless we trade down or accept a lesser player via trade