• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where does Horford play?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I think the biggest question of the day is - where does Horford play?

His size and strength make him an asset at PF, but how confident do you feel that he's can play full-time at center? How would you adjust the lineup to get Horford his minutes on the Hawks?

• Premium Member

I have serious questions as to rather he can play C but if he's really measuring 6'10" with appropriate measurements (wingspan, reach, shuttle, etc) then he can at least split time there with Zaza and at 4 with Smoove/Shellhead.

#11 / Craig/ lue/ aj

JJ / Salim

Marvin / childress

Smoove/ shelden

Zaza /Horford

If Horford could score as well as Zaza.Then i would trade Zaza, at the trade deadline to a Center hungry team.Maybe dump Speedy on them if they want Zaza badly enough.

#11 / Lue or Aj

jj / Salim

Marvin / Childress

Smoove / JONES

Horford / Shelden

• Premium Member

Honestly, trading Childress has nothing to do with Sf minutes. Childress is a BU SG who can play Sf.

Shelden's position has fluctuated to PF/C.

The only two persons who we have real Logjam with is Marvin and Smoove. They both play Sf. We've played Smoove at PF so that Marvin can play Sf.. however, if we get a bonafide PF, then that means that either Marvin or Smoove has to be traded. We can muddy the water by saying a lot of things to avoid this conversation, but it's the same conversation we've had since Al. Here are some lies we can tell our self:

1. Smoove is a PF and Horford is a C.

2. We need to move Shelden because he's filling the Pf position.

3. We need to move CHillz to free up PT at Sf.

None of those moves are productive.

Most productive would be a trade of Marvin or Smoove or not even bothering with drafting another forward.

My suggestion is you play a 3 forward rotation at C, PF, Sf until you find a Center that would make us trade one of our Sfs... But eventually, one will have to go.

If Horford really is 6'10 with a 7'3 wingspan (like Chad Ford says), then I don't see why he couldn't play center.

He's fairly strong and athletic, he has a solid if unspectacular back-to-the-basket game, he looks like he gets off the floor fairly well, he rebounds and block shots, and he's extremely quick. He even has a midrange jumpshot.

If you want to play small ball with a bunch of long, athletic, versatile players, I think he can guard three different positions with ease. And I think he and Josh Smith both block enough shots and rebound the ball well enough to play together. And together their quickness would be tough on a lot of the bigger centers...who would Ilguaskas or Ming gaurd between the two of them, for instance?

Boozer lit up Yao Ming in the playoffs and the Suns and Golden State both had a lot of playoff success with 6'9 guys playing center. In the new NBA it could be done. And 6'10 with a nice wingspand and athleticism and strength really isn't even all that undersized, especially these days.

Quote:

If Horford really is 6'10 with a 7'3 wingspan (like Chad Ford says), then I don't see why he couldn't play center.

Standing reach is a big thing for centers.

Horford is 6'9" without shoes, 245 lb. Shelden was 6'7.5" with 7'4.25" wingspan with 258 lbs and very low standing reach. Broad shoulders could mean standing reach is lower although wingspan could be big.

Since Horford is 1.5" taller and has smaller shoulders than Shelden, he probably has a much higher standing reach than Shelden.

Horford is also a half inch taller than Solomon with about the same wingspan but 23 lbs on him. Solomon may have higher standing reach than Horford, because he has much smaller shoulders.

Strengthwise both Shelden and Horford can take on the centers.

http://www.insidehoops.com/draft-prospect-measurements.shtml

Moving Childress does effect the minutes at small forward, because he does play minutes there during the game.

We can trade Childress and give Marvin his minutes at backup sg.

Marvin played a good bit of Sg the last mouth when JJ and Childress were out.It was best Marvin has ever played.

Posting up little guys like Gerald Green gave Him alot of confidence.Marvin might not have the foot speed to defend SG's, but niether does Chill.

They can slit the minutes like this

Marvin sf/sg

Smoove PF/SF

Shelden PF-C

Horford C-PF

Zaza = trade bait.

Quote:

Quote:

Horford is 6'9" without shoes, 245 lb. Shelden was 6'7.5" with 7'4.25" wingspan with 258 lbs and very low standing reach. Broad shoulders could mean standing reach is lower although wingspan could be big.

Since Horford is 1.5" taller and has smaller shoulders than Shelden, he probably has a much higher standing reach than Shelden.

Horford is also a half inch taller than Solomon with about the same wingspan but 23 lbs on him. Solomon may have higher standing reach than Horford, because he has much smaller shoulders.

I agree with everything you said. I think if these measurements are true, Horford should have a standing reach within striking distance of a lot of the centers of the NBA, especially if you factor in his athleticism.

I do think Horford's best position if 4, but I think he can play 5 against a lot of centers in the league and is even capable of playing some 3 as well because he handles the ball fairly well, has good quickness, a midrange jumpshot, and surprising passing ability.

Overall I think Horford is the guy who could come in and make the biggest difference for us next season other than, say, Gasol or Jermaine. Only other guy who could potentially make as big an immediate impact in my opinion is Conely, but in a different way of course.

Quote:

If he shows he could handle C, I would love to trade back a few spots from 3 and take him...

Or we could package 11/Chillz to move up around 6 or so and take him, and also get Conley at 3.

Still though, IMO, he is a slightly more refined version of Shelden and prob cannot play C.

I'd like to keep Chillz. He gives good production without demanding the ball and you need some players like that if you want to have a good team.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with everything you said. I think if these measurements are true, Horford should have a standing reach within striking distance of a lot of the centers of the NBA, especially if you factor in his athleticism.

I do think Horford's best position if 4, but I think he can play 5 against a lot of centers in the league and is even capable of playing some 3 as well because he handles the ball fairly well, has good quickness, a midrange jumpshot, and surprising passing ability.

Overall I think Horford is the guy who could come in and make the biggest difference for us next season other than, say, Gasol or Jermaine. Only other guy who could potentially make as big an immediate impact in my opinion is Conely, but in a different way of course.

The interesting part is Aldridge is 1.5" taller than Solomon and was 12 lbs more than him last year.

Aldridge is 1" taller than Horford with similar wingspan and since he doesn't have thick shoulders like Horford, Aldridge must have a lot higher standing reach.

I think with one year of NBA Aldridge must weigh close to Horford.

For BK, an Aldridge trade looks much more alluring after the measurements. Thoughts?

Quote:

Someone take the SF, PF, and CR minutes and show me how you think it will work out.

I can't get it to work without trading Shelden or Childress.

I personaly see Chills more as a SF than SG due to lack of foot speed.

I saw someone metion allowing Marvin to get back up SG minutes if Chills is traded. We might have to do that out of necesity but I think Smith could guard SG better then Marvin b/c Smith is a step quicker then Hoford or Sheldon could play PF with ZaZa at center leaving MArvin at SF where he is best.

Without doubt one of our PGs will be traded as long s we draft a PG. If Chills is traded I give Smith and Salim time at SG before Marvin.

Minutes Break Down:

PG: #11 pick 24 mpg / Lue, AJ, Speedy fight for other 24 MPG

SG: JJ 38 mpg / Chills 10 MPG

SF: Marvin 33 MPG / Chills 15 MPG

PF: Smith 35 MPG / Hoford and Sheldon fight for other 13 MPG

C: Hoford 24 MPG / ZaZa 24 MPG /

Of course Hoford could earn some more of ZaZa's minutes at center if he proves he is more productive & indeed a upgrade(which he should prove). Foul trouble with post players is a problem with every team. If one of our big guys is in foul trouble we have people on the bench who can play in the post.

When there is an injury we have depth at every position. No one injury would actually cripple this team. Great depth !! And there are alwayse injuries and this roster has good insurance for injuries.

Remember the Pacers having a front line of:

Rick Smits / Antonio Davis / Dale Davis

Good 3 man rotation at PF/C.

Does:

ZaZa / Hoford / Sheldon kind of remind you of that? Granted ZaZa is not as good as Rick Smits but the Pacers didn't have Josh Smith either !

The interesting part is Aldridge is 1.5" taller than Solomon and was 12 lbs more than him last year.

Aldridge is 1" taller than Horford with similar wingspan and since he doesn't have thick shoulders like Horford, Aldridge must have a lot higher standing reach.

I think with one year of NBA Aldridge must weigh close to Horford.

For BK, an Aldridge trade looks much more alluring after the measurements. Thoughts?

Good point.

Aldridge does look a little better measurment wise on paper.

One knock on Aldridge is he plays a bit soft for a center and is shy around contact.

Hoford on the other hand thrives on contact and is actually looking to creat contact.

I think Hoford's strength would make him the better man up post defender and better position rebounder than Aldridge. Aldridge is probably a little smoother offensively in the post then Hoford.

I think Hoford carries the mentality of a physical center while Aldridge carries himself more as a finess PF.

We could use either player. I am favoring Hoford due to his physical mentality and strength.

On the other hand if we can trade #3 for both ALdridge and Jack I would do it ! But I think I would prefer Hoford over Aldridge straight up eventhough it is a very close call.

Can you imagine how physical our practices would be with ZaZa / Hoford / Sheldon / & Batista mixing it up in practice. They would definatly toughen Marvin and Smooth up a good bit. We might actually become a physical / defensive minded team in the post.

One thing Hoford has shown that Aldridge has not:

A INNER COMPETITIVE FIRE !

Aldridge may have more ability on paper but is missing that fire you wee when watching Hoford. I love the way Hoford can physically finish consistently after absorbing contact.