• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Conley's shooting.

buckeye242424

Great initial post. This kid keeps measuring up pretty solid from his strength to his court speed to his great vertical.

He is a great athlete and has the mind to be a great basketball player. When you bring great all around physical gifts to a great young mind, the sky is the limit.

This kid will be a damn good PG for years.

You guys can't have it both ways. First, you criticize Billy for going with value and taking the best player available over the position of need in 2005 when he took Marvin Williams. You all screamed that he was duplicating a position.

Then, the very next year, you criticize him for passing on a player that would have duplicated a position in Brandon Roy and taking a player at a positoin of need.

Quote:

Do you know the biggest difference between the Cleveland Cavaliers right now and the team they had last year?

Last year Lebron kicked it out to Eric Snow. Now he has Daniel Gibson.

If Conley can't make a 3, that is a HUGE problem because we don't have Tim Duncan or Greg Oden to make up for that

We also don't run our offense through a Point-Forward.

Let's finally get a PG and let JJ focus on scoring.

• Moderators

Quote:

You guys can't have it both ways. First, you criticize Billy for going with value and taking the best player available over the position of need in 2005 when he took Marvin Williams. You all screamed that he was duplicating a position.

Then, the very next year, you criticize him for passing on a player that would have duplicated a position in Brandon Roy and taking a player at a positoin of need.

Above all, he is criticized for passing on players that turn out to be significantly better than his draft picks. The position issue is secondary.

I was okay with the Marvin pick. I felt we got the best value at No. 2. Marvin was talked about as the No. 1 pick in some circles.

What I am saying is that a good GM has to make decision on whether to trade down and get more and still fill a need or stay and get the VALUE of that pick. Shelden was NOT the value of a No. 5 pick. He probably could have traded down and still got Shelden or a player like Shelden if that was a need. I just don't think a good GM reaches for players at certain picks. If the BPA can help your team then so be it...pick him, if not trade down and figure out ways to fill other needs.

Conley doesn't need to be picked at 3. That is a reach is all I am saying, especially when you can get a good PG at 11. If Billy's picks him at 3, again he is reaching when he doesn't have to.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, we can't live in the past with Law... His three point shooting this year has been better than 42%...

Now, if you want to, you can go back and see what his high school three point shooting was like and compare it to Conley's high school shooting, but then I ask... WHAT's the purpose. We are not drafting Law or Conley from HS. We are drafting the product NOW.. Today... Recently....

Why not go and try to justify Jordan not getting drafted because he only scored 13.5 ppg his first year playing at UNC?

Moreover, Look at Conley Jr's FT%. This is the shot that he gets to take at a reasonable place with nobody guarding him. He shot 69%... During his 2nd year at LSU, Shaq shot 64%.. Conley is only 5% better than Shaq!!! That's ridiculous!!

• Moderators

Quote:

Unfortunately, we can't live in the past with Law... His three point shooting this year has been better than 42%...

Now, if you want to, you can go back and see what his high school three point shooting was like and compare it to Conley's high school shooting, but then I ask... WHAT's the purpose. We are not drafting Law or Conley from HS. We are drafting the product NOW.. Today... Recently....

Why not go and try to justify Jordan not getting drafted because he only scored 13.5 ppg his first year playing at UNC?

Moreover, Look at Conley Jr's FT%. This is the shot that he gets to take at a reasonable place with nobody guarding him. He shot 69%... During his 2nd year at LSU, Shaq shot 64%.. Conley is only 5% better than Shaq!!! That's ridiculous!!

That analogy is pretty ridiculous. Just for a couple examples of FT%s of some familiar player who shockingly didn't shoot FTs like Shaq in the NBA:

Mookie Blalock

68% FR Year

65% SO Year

Mookie total college FT% = 67% (NBA total = 74%)

Doc Rivers

59% FR Year

65% SO Year

61% JR Year

Doc total college FT% = 61% (NBA total = 78%)

HOF Hawk Lenny Wilkens

65% FR Year

62% SO Year

70% JR Year

Wilkens total college FT% = 65% (NBA total = 77%)

HOF Hawk Cliff Hagan 69% FT% JR Year

Steve Smith 69% FT% JR Year

HOF Dominique Wilkins Total 3 Years College = 70% FT%

Guest Walter

Quote:

KB, how on earth can you criticize anyone given your flip/flop BK love? In this instance you HATED the SW pick until BK did it. Then you flipped like a chinese acrobat and even projected:

Quote:

"...Shelden Williams because he's ready to come in right now and give them 12 PPG, 9 RBP, and 2 BPG along with the interior defense this team is dying for."

My god it's a disaster. You are a disaster. Not only did you flip/flop regarding SW, you flip/flopped your rationale for choosing a player. You insisted "BPA always and forever" regarding MW. Then you argued "role playing need" after it was decided that BK was picking SW. You should critique yourself.

W

Quote:

Quote:

That analogy is pretty ridiculous. Just for a couple examples of FT%s of some familiar player who shockingly didn't shoot FTs like Shaq in the NBA:

Mookie Blalock

68% FR Year

65% SO Year

Doc Rivers

59% FR Year

65% SO Year

61% JR Year

HOF Hawk Lenny Wilkens

65% FR Year

62% SO Year

70% JR Year

I think you closed the thread with that response.

Conley surprised me with his athleticism.

Of course it shouldn't have been that big of a surprise considering his genes.

But I did not think he was that quick on the basketball court.

But no denying the blazing combine speed.

Any way to compare his numbers to someone like Barbosa?

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mookie Blalock

68% FR Year

65% SO Year

Doc Rivers

59% FR Year

65% SO Year

61% JR Year

HOF Hawk Lenny Wilkens

65% FR Year

62% SO Year

70% JR Year

I just don't get why people assume someone with good shooting form is going to be a 69% FT shooter over the course of their career when it is simply not that uncommon for a young player - even young PGs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mookie Blalock

68% FR Year

65% SO Year

Doc Rivers

59% FR Year

65% SO Year

61% JR Year

HOF Hawk Lenny Wilkens

65% FR Year

62% SO Year

70% JR Year

I just don't get why people assume someone with good shooting form is going to be a 69% FT shooter over the course of their career when it is simply not that uncommon for a young player - even young PGs.

You don't get it because you assume that people are thinking logically.