• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Smooves turnovers negate his blocks??

Wurider05

First of all don't turn this into a trade Smoove thread. I don't want him, JJ, Marvin or Chillz traded. But a friend of mine was talking about how much he turns the over/bad ball handling skills vs. his blocks. If he turns the ball over x amount of times a game does that cancel out his blocks since he is giving the other team the ball right back? Does this even make sense? I guess it would be like averaging 32.00 points a game but shooting 39% from the field.

• Premium Member

Quote:

First of all don't turn this into a trade Smoove thread. I don't want him, JJ, Marvin or Chillz traded. But a friend of mine was talking about how much he turns the over/bad ball handling skills vs. his blocks. If he turns the ball over x amount of times a game does that cancel out his blocks since he is giving the other team the ball right back? Does this even make sense? I guess it would be like averaging 32.00 points a game but shooting 39% from the field.

I would take cover if i were you!

The answer is yes. A turnover does more bad than a block does good, considering oftentimes a block will go out of bounds or right back to the offense.

There are a couple things to consider, though.

1. the intimidation factor. NBA players have egos and don't want to be on the wrong end of a "web gem." Having an enforcer in the lane is a psychological advantage.

2. Josh Smith is a young player, and young players make mistakes. If he taps into his potential, his blocks will stay the same, and his turnovers will decline.

• Premium Member

This is a legit question, but no, it's not true. Smoove is forced to be the 2nd option on offense since noone else on our team can create their own shot except JJ. Smith is given the responsibility by the coach to try and create his own shot, push the ball on the break and such. At 21 years old and this being the first time he's ever been a goto scorer, turnovers are expected. For the last 20 games of the year, Smith was forced to be the #1 option because JJ was out. Dwight Howard, for example, averages 4 turnovers a game and leads the league.

Once we get a PG, Smith won't have to have the ball in his hands so much and his efficiency will increase. I think we can all agree that Smith should NOT be the 2nd option on offense, but he was FORCED to given our situation. Why do y'all think Lue/Salim took so many shots this year? It's because NOONE else could score by themselves outside of JJ, so they HAD to. Hopefully Marvin can step up his game and become a 2nd option.

No because block totals don't take into account all the shots he alters or even prevents. Some guys will drive, see Smith, and just turn around or pass to someone else.

Plus you have to remember than Smith is a risk taker. He has a habit (which i wish he would curtail) of trying to squeez passes into tight spots. A lot of times they wind up as turnovers but sometimes they also wind up as two points for the Hawks. Have to take the good with the bad to an extent but i do wish he temper his Steve Nash impersonations.

Quote:

No because block totals don't take into account all the shots he alters or even prevents. Some guys will drive, see Smith, and just turn around or pass to someone else.

Yeah, I was going to mention this. He definitely alters and intimidates enough shots in addition to the ones that are counted as blocks to make up for his turnovers.

And like others said, Smith has to handle the ball way too much. He was pretty much the only player on the Hawks who would push the ball in a fast break situation. That isn't really in his job description but it was something he had to do the way the team is built right now.

It's an interesting idea though.

Quote:

This is a legit question, but no, it's not true. Smoove is forced to be the 2nd option on offense since noone else on our team can create their own shot except JJ. Smith is given the responsibility by the coach to try and create his own shot, push the ball on the break and such. At 21 years old and this being the first time he's ever been a goto scorer, turnovers are expected. For the last 20 games of the year, Smith was forced to be the #1 option because JJ was out. Dwight Howard, for example, averages 4 turnovers a game and leads the league.

Once we get a PG, Smith won't have to have the ball in his hands so much and his efficiency will increase. I think we can all agree that Smith should NOT be the 2nd option on offense, but he was FORCED to given our situation. Why do y'all think Lue/Salim took so many shots this year? It's because NOONE else could score by themselves outside of JJ, so they HAD to. Hopefully Marvin can step up his game and become a 2nd option.

I sware you spit out more lies then Pinocchio.

1. No one on this team can create there own shot at a decent rate, NO ONE.

2. Josh Smith is forced into the second option, not by lack of options but when you have a bad team you want to see the guys who you think have more potienial and give them freedom like stars. J.R. Smith was thrown into this world, in his first year in NO, and you seen him on as a role player which he still hasn't fully grasped yet.

3. You can't compare Dwight to Smith, Smith makes bad decisions on Offense and Defense. Dwight bad out of a double team and everyone knows it and the fact that teams play them seriously'outside of the super elites' they will force his into some bad decisions. Smith is also not aware of his surrounding neither.

4. Smith doesn't look like he going to be getting much better skill wise, as long as he keeps the mentality that he has now, I doubt improvement will come for him. I feel that he is at his height of his trade value and should be traded for a legit Center which will do wonders for this team.

5. Smith likes the 2nd option role, no question about it, he wasn't good enough for it, but he loved it, he will hate it if trade from Atlanta because he will never be in that role again.

• Premium Member

Quote:

No one on this team can create there own shot at a decent rate, NO ONE.

Joe Johnson is one of the most efficient one on one players in this league. Outside of him, you are correct.

Quote:

Josh Smith is forced into the second option, not by lack of options but when you have a bad team you want to see the guys who you think have more potienial and give them freedom like stars.

I'm a Smith fan, and I DON'T want him to be the 2nd option. I think he's a 3rd or 4th option on a good team, one that has a decent PG mind you. If we let Marvin be the 2nd option, his % would have been MUCH lower. Despite that, Marvin still only shot 44%, which was only 1% higher than Smith.

nbasuperstar, since you're the psychic, who would have taken the shots at a better % than Smith had someone else been given the role of the 2nd option? Or #1 option once JJ went down? I'm sure I'll enjoy your response.

Quote:

Quote:

No one on this team can create there own shot at a decent rate, NO ONE.

Joe Johnson is one of the most efficient one on one players in this league. Outside of him, you are correct.

Quote:

Josh Smith is forced into the second option, not by lack of options but when you have a bad team you want to see the guys who you think have more potienial and give them freedom like stars.

I'm a Smith fan, and I DON'T want him to be the 2nd option. I think he's a 3rd or 4th option on a good team, one that has a decent PG mind you. If we let Marvin be the 2nd option, his % would have been MUCH lower. Despite that, Marvin still only shot 44%, which was only 1% higher than Smith.

nbasuperstar, since you're the psychic, who would have taken the shots at a better % than Smith had someone else been given the role of the 2nd option? Or #1 option once JJ went down? I'm sure I'll enjoy your response.

Probably no one until Anthony Johnson came on staff, but this is a business and even though I don't think Smith would get more then 10 mins. a game on a good team, on this one he probably is the only one outside of AJ and JJ who can take a bulk of the shots, this team is full of role players. Josh isn't good but he doesn't have a role player mentality, that's why he can take that many shots.

Quote:

You have to understand Smoove does more than block 3 shots per game. HE ALTERS SHOTS and makes people change their minds about shooting at all.

Add in the hustle plays he makes and the energetic things he does to pump up the crowd.

Does he need to become a better ball handler? Of course.

A better shooter? of course.

Better decision maker in transition offense? Of course

Better on ball defender? Of course.

But his upside is THROUGH THE ROOF.

You don't even think about trading a player with the upside of Josh Smith

If he begins to correct these faults (WHICH HE HAS ADMITTED HE HAS AND IS WORKING ON IN THE OFF-SEASON) he can be a bonafide superstar in this league.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Probably no one until Anthony Johnson came on staff

So you admit that noone else would be able too, but EARLIER in this thread you said...

"Josh Smith is forced into the second option, not by lack of options but when you have a bad team you want to see the guys who you think have more potienial and give them freedom like stars.

Earlier in the thread you said that because we are a bad team, we force Smith's success because that's what the people want, yet you admit that noone outside of JJ would have been more successful. I don't buy your AJ argument since he's never averaged 10 ppg in a season in his entire career. Pwned again..