• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Was Woody the only one considered???

Wurider05

I Wanted Del Harris too.

here an old article that tells who was interviewed.

Hawks pick Woodson

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Jul 6, 2004

Hawks pick Woodson

Pistons assistant coach agrees to four-year deal

Associated Press

Tuesday, July 6, 2004

The Atlanta Hawks have reached an agreement with Detroit assistant Mike Woodson to become their new coach, The Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported on it Web site Monday night.

Woodson agreed to a four-year deal to replace Terry Stotts, who was fired May 6.

"We think it's a good situation for us and a good situation for him," Hawks general manager Billy Knight told The Atlanta Journal- Constitution. He did not give details of the contract.

Knight could not be reached by The Associated Press. Hawks spokesman Arthur Triche said Monday night no contract had been signed, and there would be no announcement until it was.

"Nothing is planned as of tomorrow," Triche said. "I think it will be later in the week."

Woodson told the Detroit Free Press from his home in Houston that there were a few minor contract details to finish.

"With four years, it will give me and Billy a chance to grow together as a GM and coach," he said Monday.

The 47-year-old will become the 10th coach of the Hawks since the franchise moved to Atlanta in 1968. The Hawks finished 28-54 last season, missing the playoffs for the fifth straight year.

Woodson was Larry Brown's top assistant on the NBA champion Pistons and considered a strong candidate to eventually succeed Brown.

Advertisement

Knight interviewed Woodson, Indiana assistant Mike Brown, Dallas assistant Del Harris, former Phoenix coach John MacLeod, Seattle associate head coach Dwayne Case and former Cleveland and Atlanta coach Mike Fratello.

Knight said he also spoke with TNT studio analyst Kenny Smith about the job.

Ohio State post interests Lavin: Former UCLA coach and current ESPN college basketball analyst Steve Lavin would love to talk to someone about the vacant Ohio State head coaching job.

"It's one of those jobs that are just strong across the board," Lavin said from Mykonos, Greece, where he has been coaching the U.S. under-19 basketball team.

Lavin, 39, had a 145-78 record in seven seasons at UCLA. He took the Bruins to the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament five times. UCLA sagged to 10-19 -- the school's first losing season in 55 years -- and Lavin was fired after the 2002-'03 season.

Copyright 2004 Journal Sentinel Inc. Note: This notice does not apply to those news items already copyrighted and received through wire services or other media

Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

Quote:

The 47-year-old will become the 10th coach of the Hawks since the franchise moved to Atlanta in 1968. The Hawks finished 28-54 last season, missing the playoffs for the fifth straight year.

We haven't improved much have we?

Wurider

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Knight said he also spoke with TNT studio analyst Kenny Smith about the job.

I was not aware of this. I wonder how that conversation went--Kenny seems to have some bitterness toward the Hawks.

Too bad BK didn't talk to Barkley instead.

While it's fun to imagine Lord Charles actually having to put his knowledge on the floor and make decisions for everyone to critique... (and for all I know, he may be very successful, so that's not necessarily a slam... ) I can't imagine giving someone with no coaching experience the big chair w/o first asking Nique if he'd like to occupy it... and I concur with the other thread where they've discussed the downside to Nique being put in a situation where his job w/ the Hawks would be on the line year-to-year as GM... and I ditto the HC job... thus, I'm loathe to even go there w/ Auburn's pride and joy.

if I remember correctly, but he turned us down. Then we had to wait for Woody to become available and once he did that was pretty much it. It was a time of great excitement around here. I for one was super excited to get him, but I am ready to see him gone now. For all of the blame that BK gets many a coach have won in this league with a lot less talent.