Rexhawk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

Quote:

I remember that Billy said one time that when he's scouting a player, he gets just as much out of watching them when things are going bad and watching them on the bench, seeing their interaction with the team as he does when things are going good for the player.

We would have NEVER drafted MW. When he looked bad he looked lost in space bad. Some of those tourney games were just horrible watching him.

W

Thanks for the game film!

I watched 10 minutes of one. Yi has to deal with a lot of double teaming. He showed very good ability to pass out of the double. His team was trying to get the ball to him almost every time down. But Yi had trouble establishing position in the post. The man checking him was pretty good size and was being quite physical. In the time I saw I didn't really get to see much of Yi's offense, he had a few uncontested dunks. He did a couple bad things like put the ball on the floor when he was already in possession under the hoop. Also, a couple of times he was stripped pretty easily by much smaller guys.

I'll watch some more - I want to see him drive. He does NOT camp out at the 3pt line. In fact, it seems he doesn't shoot long jumpers much at all. He's not like Dirk in that respect. He wants to go to the basket every time. He's a very good FT shooter. On offense, he either tries to post his man or plays pick and roll with the PG in the backcourt. He is very much playing a C role. His size doesn't really leap out at you.

I knew Yi was nothing like Bargnani who camped at the 3 point line or like you said a young Dirk. Those two guys would be so much better if they attacked the basket, but neither have the athleticism of Yi.

Sounds like he needs work defensively but the key is the potential and desire is there.

• Premium Member

No player in the draft is going to come into the NBA "NBA READY"... However, you have to examine the skillset and the potential that a player has.

Yi has a very good skillset. He can play inside, midrange, and possibly outside. He can drive and he can post up. This is a skillset that many player (especially his size) don't have. Then you have his amazing speed. I've never seen a 7 footer who was as mobile and fast as that. Maybe Kevin Garnett.

But I don't expect Day 1 for Yi to come in and be the hottest Hawk. In fact, I know that it will take some training for him to reach his potential, but from the looks of it, he has as much potential as Durant or Ogden. People laughed above when I said that but let's be honest... Ogden doesn't have an offensive game yet. He can't create for himself yet. Of course, Ogden will learn this (if PTL has any sense).. but right now, Ogden's offense is PG dependent. While Durant is an offensive prodigy, his defense has as many questions as Yi's. I mean, have you ever seen Durant shut down anybody? Moreover, what position will Durant play? Is he a 6'10 Sf? His strength has to be a question mark as well.

So yeah, whoever we choose will need some work to make a great impact, but I don't think we can just pass over the talent that's there with Yi because we don't believe in our ability to teach him to play defense... How stupid is that?

I watched some of the 2nd Final.

I don't understand why everyone claims Yi is a small forward. He defends like a center. Reminds me of Elden Campbell on defense. Seems to be as quick as Garnett. Great instinct and hop for shot blocking. With him and Smoove, we'll see some block fiesta. If Smoove had the propensity to attack the basket like Yi, he would have scored 20 ppg already. Doesn't want to shoot from outside unless its his only option. Smooth as silk stroke.