• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The interesting thing about Yi Jianlian......

KB21

....may not be his play on the court. The most interesting thing to follow will be Chad Ford's reaction if the Hawks do take Yi Jianlian.

Chad Ford has gone out of his way to pump up Yi and has him as the 3rd best player in the draft right now. Once he realizes that the Hawks are serious about Yi, it will be interesting to see if he backtracks on his previous comments or continues to push Yi as the 3rd best player in the draft.

The Hawks will be criticized for their pick no matter who they draft though.

I couldn't agree more. The funniest Fordism was prior to the 2005 draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/c...chad&id=2091921

(There's talk that the Hawks want Deron Williams and are flirting with him at No. 2. He's a great point guard, but he's the wrong Williams at No. 2. If the Hawks really want Deron, they should swap with the Blazers or Hornets, both of whom would love to get their hands on Marvin. Otherwise you take Marvin and trade the other guys on the team that play the same position.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/col...chad&id=2311939

(Atlanta Hawks

How: Held the No. 2 pick in the draft

The skinny: Amazingly, when draft day rolled around, it looked like the Hawks weren't seriously considering Paul with the No. 2 pick. Sources close to the Hawks told Insider around draft time they were deciding between Marvin Williams and Illinois point guard Deron Williams. That's odd, because of all the players in the draft, Paul best fit the Hawks' biggest hole. The team desperately needed (and still needs) a floor leader who can push the ball up the floor.

The verdict: With a track record that now includes letting Chris Paul slip through his fingers, it's hard to see how Atlanta GM Billy Knight will keep his job much longer. Marvin Williams might turn out to be the best player in the draft someday, but Knight probably won't be around to take the credit. Williams' skills duplicate almost all the strengths of the other players on the roster. Don't forget, if Knight had decided to draft for need, chances are he would've drafted Deron Williams over Paul. Had the team drafted Paul and added Joe Johnson, it would have one of the best backcourts in the NBA and a much better record than it does now.)

Ford really just hates BK it's so obvious. So let me get this straight prior to draft night Ford says we should take Marvin, and would be taking the wrong Williams with Deron. So we take Marvin then a year later we were fools for doing what he said. Gee hindsight is amazing.

This is what I am absolutley loving about this draft. Now before I say this I will say I think Durant is going to be a great player someday. This draft just like 2005 is basically what after the top 2???

That year everyone said Bogut and Marvin were 1 and 2. Not one predraft ranking said diffrently. Even Ford in one mock said, "While they have F's you can't pass on the talent of Williams." This is identical to this year, it's Oden and Durant. The real draft is supposed to start at 3. This is when I start to laugh. After Durants workout last week were he couldn't do one rep at 185, it got me smiling. If Durant doesn't come out and dominate next year and puts up say 10/6 or 13/7, but lets say Hofford puts up 16/8. Will people say gees they f'd up. I knew Hofford was better because he was stronger, and we found out Durant was weak, and he is getting pushed around out there.

Well yes right now every predraft analysis says Hofford is the most NBA ready player. Just like 2005 Paul was a 4 year player and it was well known he was the most likely to shoot out of the gate. So will Durant get flakc like Marvin if he doesn't produce right away???? When drafting Marvin everyone knew it may be 2 to 3 years. This year will be the defining year in evaluation. So we knew Paul was NBA at draft and Mrvin was 2 or 3 years away. SO why was it even worth comparing the first to years when the outcome should have been obvious?

I hate to say it, but I almost want to see Durant struggle a bit in year one, and see which guys jump out and say "I told you so" I will laugh my azz off. Because right now it isn't even a question, Durant should go second, but wait one year and let hindsight kick in.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Ford really just hates BK it's so obvious. So let me get this straight prior to draft night Ford says we should take Marvin, and would be taking the wrong Williams with Deron. So we take Marvin then a year later we were fools for doing what he said. Gee hindsight is amazing.

What he said is that we should take MW (implied greater value as a commodity) but if we really wanted Deron we should trade MW for him (and a little extra I presume).

Shouldn't we all hate BK by now? If you don't I question your fandom. He's horrid. Simply horrid.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's not about BK.

EXACTLY... Why would anyone attempt to cover for Ford, unless they share in his "horrid" hysteria at bringing BK down?

(How bout that... a question that answers itself, eh??? tongue.gif )

And, at the risk of diverting the thread... W knows this... you don't snap your fingers and convince Utah to want Marvin instead of Deron... and to give you a little extra for the jump forward in the draft.

Guest Walter

Quote:

And, at the risk of diverting the thread... W knows this... you don't snap your fingers and convince Utah to want Marvin instead of Deron... and to give you a little extra for the jump forward in the draft.

I didn't say Ford's argument was plausible. I said that was his argument.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't say Ford's argument was plausible. I said that was his argument.

W

Touche'... point well-taken.

That is my point, it was widely rumored predraft that BK tried to move down into Por spot, but they knew we wanted to move so they had all the leverage. So they dealt with Utah. Another poster even brought this up last week, when he said screw Por since they f'd us in 2005.

So like Ford said predraft if we couldn't move down then take Marvin and try and make the pieces fit.

Hate him or not BK doesn't take scraps for valuable talent. Just like post on here offering Chill for Haywood. WTF???? Just because they aren't putting up huge numbers now doesn't mean you take below market value for them. Having quality depth is key. God forbid if Smith or Marvin gets hurt I would like to have Chill there as insurance instead of Haywood playing 15 min a game at C. You can never have too much talent. So why trade a sirlion for ground chuck. It isn't a filet, but it beats the meat at taco bell.