• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shelden Williams

oiatlhawksfan

Okay lets get off the draft talk for awhile and talk abot lasts year first rounder. I'm really curious to see how better he has gotten. I expect him to have a bigger role this upcoming season. He seems to really get better towards the end of the season, and if he had gotten consistent minutes all year long, he could've put up all-rookie first team numbers. He was putting up good numbers in the beggining of the year, but when Marvin came back he would've his minutes got hurt badly. I think he he would have gotten good minutes all year, he would have ended up averaging close to a double-double. I also don't think he was that bad of a pick, cause there really were'nt any good PGs available, Foye is not a PG, or he's not the next Dwanye Wade LOL! ROy is talented but he's not a PG, Marcus Williams won't even be playing in the NBA, after his rookie contract, so it really wasn't that bad of a pick.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

Quote:

I also don't think he was that bad of a pick, cause there really were'nt any good PGs available, Foye is not a PG, or he's not the next Dwanye Wade LOL! ROy is talented but he's not a PG, Marcus Williams won't even be playing in the NBA, after his rookie contract, so it really wasn't that bad of a pick.

Wow, SW wasn't a bad pick but NO MENTION OF BRANDON ROY!

That was one hell of an oversight. Forgot the R.O.Y.

MW wasn't a bad pick if you don't consider Paul and Deron.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Brandon Roy is very talented, but was he filling a need? NO!!! he's a shooting guard, and last I hear we have Joe and Childress covering those spots.

It's been debated to death, Portland's GM and coach do not agree with you about Roy, and I'd MUCH rather have Roy, a R.O.Y., at Pg than SW, Mr. 0.5 BPG...anywhere exactly.

W

Im not going to give up on shelden. His rebounding late in the season really showed me something and he put the ball in the basket farley well. I know you can say its at the end of the season and no one is trying there hardest, but obviously shelden was. I hope he gets some good minutes this year at PF and C.

We won'r likely know the extent of his injury for a while. He did come on at eht end. And I would expect him to strutt his stuff in the summer league. This is his year to gain some confidence. That will be our first indication if he's gonna be there.

Quote:

Quote:

I also don't think he was that bad of a pick, cause there really were'nt any good PGs available, Foye is not a PG, or he's not the next Dwanye Wade LOL! ROy is talented but he's not a PG, Marcus Williams won't even be playing in the NBA, after his rookie contract, so it really wasn't that bad of a pick.

?

he mentioned roy

I think it's absurd what people are proclaiming what a bad pick Shelden was after one year where he wasn't even healthy.

Look at how Shelden matches up with Horford. I was surprised how close he was.

Al Horford

6'8.75"

6'9.75"

246 pounds

7'0.75" wing span

8'11" standing reach

31 inch No step Vert

35.5 inch Max Vert

20 Bench press

12.15 lane agility

3.37 3/4 court sprint

Shelden Williams

6'7.5"

6'8.5"

258 pounds

7'4.25 wing span

8'8 standing reach

29 inch standing vert

33.5 max vert

25 bench press

11.53 lane agility

3.59 3/4 court sprint

Horford had the advantage in height, standing reach, vertical leaping and 3/4 court sprint which are all not surprising.

But I was surprised to see Shelden had the advantage in wingspan and lane agility. Also didn't think he would be that close to HOrford in terms of vertical leap. Add the edge Shelden has in strength and weight and he has a chance to be one heck of a basketball player.

Sure maybe he can't play the 5 full-time, but he should def get more minutes.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

?

he mentioned roy

that's what i was thinking...

anyway, i think that shelden, like solomon, needs to get a little bit stronger this offseason. since that is what he'll need to provide, then he will need to get a bit stronger and really has the frame to do it and not lose quickness....

The Shelden question has yet to be decided because it depends on which Shel we get. The one who before and after the shoulder brace pretty much did exactly what he was drafted to do, rebound, hustle and get us 10-16 points a game. If we get that one it was a great pick even over Travis Mays ah I mean Brandon Roy. Roy would have played about 5 to 10 minutes per game for us behind Joe and Chills and prolly would have battled for Salims minutes too. Bye the way does anyone know what happened to Travis MAYS? I heard Anderson Hunt is a short order cook now. lol Best player in the 90 and 91 tourney to short order cook, that sukkkkkkks.

I mean no disrespect to Roy when I compared him to Mays either. Mays also put up about 16ppg in his rookie season for a young terrible Kings team and then we traded Spud for him. Problem was his foot injury killed his Hawks and bball career. Roy also has foot problems.

• Premium Member

I think there were too many people disrespecting Shelden because he wasn't getting any playing time and playing through a hurt shoulder. Well, when his shoulder wasn't hurt, Shelden showed us something. I believe that with playing time, Shelden can be the right man for the job.

Quote:

I think it's absurd what people are proclaiming what a bad pick Shelden was after one year where he wasn't even healthy.

Al Horford

6'8.75"

6'9.75"

246 pounds

7'0.75" wing span

8'11" standing reach

31 inch No step Vert

35.5 inch Max Vert

20 Bench press

12.15 lane agility

3.37 3/4 court sprint

Shelden Williams

6'7.5"

6'8.5"

258 pounds

7'4.25 wing span

8'8 standing reach

29 inch standing vert

33.5 max vert

25 bench press

11.53 lane agility

3.59 3/4 court sprint

Horford had the advantage in height, standing reach, vertical leaping and 3/4 court sprint which are all not surprising.

But I was surprised to see Shelden had the advantage in wingspan and lane agility. Also didn't think he would be that close to HOrford in terms of vertical leap. Add the edge Shelden has in strength and weight and he has a chance to be one heck of a basketball player.

damn all the so call experts go crazy when they see Durant, Paul and B. Wright's pre draft camp numbers, but there one thing that they never looked at, it's can he play or not. Shelden when watching him at Duke didn't look like a good basketball player, he didn't translate to the NBA on flim at all, but dumba@! Billy Knight drafted him and now is trouble in the same position again like Seattle at the Center position in recent time. BK didn't use his brain, this isn't football, there are reason you can succeed and not in football which is different then the basketball, if you are too slow, can't stick with any player and are out desired on a nightly basis then you really don't have a spot on any team in the NBA. Flat out, Sheldon is not any good, many you forget and go back to serious wishful thinking once season ends, ex. Diesel. I think this 3rd pick is a no-brainer, this is some you never had and proabably your best chance to get a player of very high calibur.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think there were too many people disrespecting Shelden because he wasn't getting any playing time and playing through a hurt shoulder. Well, when his shoulder wasn't hurt, Shelden showed us something. I believe that with playing time, Shelden can be the right man for the job.

I agree. SW with playing time is an inside player if we get the ball ro him in the post AND we know he can rebound and play some D.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Al Horford

6'8.75"

6'9.75"

246 pounds

7'0.75" wing span

8'11" standing reach

31 inch No step Vert

35.5 inch Max Vert

20 Bench press

12.15 lane agility

3.37 3/4 court sprint

Shelden Williams

6'7.5"

6'8.5"

258 pounds

7'4.25 wing span

8'8 standing reach

29 inch standing vert

33.5 max vert

25 bench press

11.53 lane agility

3.59 3/4 court sprint

damn all the so call experts go crazy when they see Durant, Paul and B. Wright's pre draft camp numbers, but there one thing that they never looked at, it's can he play or not. Shelden when watching him at Duke didn't look like a good basketball player, he didn't translate to the NBA on flim at all, but dumba@! Billy Knight drafted him and now is trouble in the same position again like Seattle at the Center position in recent time. BK didn't use his brain, this isn't football, there are reason you can succeed and not in football which is different then the basketball, if you are too slow, can't stick with any player and are out desired on a nightly basis then you really don't have a spot on any team in the NBA. Flat out, Sheldon is not any good, many you forget and go back to serious wishful thinking once season ends, ex. Diesel. I think this 3rd pick is a no-brainer, this is some you never had and proabably your best chance to get a player of very high calibur.

I totally agree. Shellhead flat out is not a good NBA player and was completely exposed last season. He has no offensive game, can not play defense and had the shot blocking prowess of Mugsy Bogues. I would dance around my office if the Hawks unloaded him on someone else.

Quote:

We won'r likely know the extent of his injury for a while. He did come on at eht end. And I would expect him to strutt his stuff in the summer league. This is his year to gain some confidence. That will be our first indication if he's gonna be there.

Agree 100%. I think Shell will do well (healthy) in the summer league and will be ready to go for his sophmore NBA season. My guess is he will be a solid player for us for years to come (barring more injuries).

Lotsa folks will not be able to get over the fact that he was picked 5th...but that isn't his fault. munching_out.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

based on those numbers, according to exodus sheldon should go ahead of horford if he was in this years draft.

How do you figure? The most significant numbers in Shelden's favor are the two that exodus doesn't believe in - wingspan (he believes in standing reach) and the shuttle. Horford has the advantage in height, jump and the 3/4 sprint that exodus endorses. I am not sure why you think Shelden's numbers would look better to ex than Horford's.