• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dec '06 Article questioning some of Yi's skills..

TheDude

Yi shows signs, but has room for improvement

Associated Press

Updated: December 3, 2006, 12:35 PM ET

Email

Print

DOHA, Qatar -- NBA prospect Yi Jianlian has been hailed by some as the "next Yao Ming."

For now, the 19-year-old is just another member of China's national team. And his coach is less than pleased with him.

Koichi Kamoshida/Getty Images

Yi Jianlian is being heralded as a possible lottery pick in next year's draft, but some say the 19-year-old needs to get better in order to make an impact.

"He needs to understand that it's not enough to be very talented," Lithuanian-born Jonas Kazlauskas said of Yi following China's 89-76 win over Kazakhstan at the Asian Games. "He needs to fight for every step, for every position, for every ball."

Kazlauskas' words typify much of the buzz surrounding the 19-year-old Yi: That he is a great athlete whose basketball skills and on-court presence still have a long way to go.

The 7-foot power forward had 14 points and six rebounds against Kazakhstan, but just as notable were his turnovers and flubbed shots.

On defense, Kazakh players scored over him easily, and he was outshined at both ends of the court by former NBA player Wang Zhizhi, who scored 22 points and had five rebounds.

"He was like a 'good boy'," Kazlauskas said of Yi. "Everyone could push him, could kick him out of the three-second zone. And he was happy with everything going on around him."

Yi, who won a six-figure deal from Nike, had some impressive moves as well, including a massive jam in the third quarter and a fade-away jumper reminiscent of Dirk Nowitzki.

While much work is ahead for Yi -- he especially needs to gain upper-body strength and build on-court intensity -- he has piqued the NBA's interest with his height and athleticism and is expected to be picked in the high rounds of next June's draft.

Kazakhstan starter Yevgeny Issakov said Yi's height and quickness make him formidable.

"He's very good and it's very hard for us to play over these tall Chinese guys," Issakov said.

And China's captain, Liu Wei, cautioned against judging Yi's performance too harshly.

"It's the first game and there's always a degree of adjustment that needs to be made," Liu said. "We'll be getting better and better."

Yi's true age is a subject of some controversy. Reports put his birth year as early as 1984, partly because sports authorities are known to report their players as younger than they actually are to keep them eligible for junior competitions.

Recruited into one of China's demanding state sports schools, Yi trained hard, eventually joining the Chinese Basketball Association. He led his native province's Guangdong Tigers to the CBA title last season, recording 20 double-doubles during the regular season and topping the 30-point mark eight times, including a 43-point performance in the regular season finale.

And despite a lackluster showing in last summer's world championships at which China finished 11th, Yi won praise from no less an authority than U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski.

"The kid Yi ... he'd be in the NBA. He'd be a lottery pick. That kid is really good," Krzyzewski said. "He'd probably be starting for some teams in the league. The kid's just got it."

Yao, the Houston Rockets star center who has not joined the China national team in Doha, said his own progress since joining the NBA reinforces the need for Yi and other Chinese players to go abroad as preparation for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing.

Despite his multiyear Nike contract and NBA prospects, Yi presently enjoys few extra privileges at home with the Tigers or traveling with the national team, living and practicing with his less-heralded teammates. He's kept a low profile at Doha, letting others do the talking for the team and shying away from interviews.

"I am not thinking too much about the draft, now I am focusing on helping China win the gold at Doha," Yi said on arrival. "The Asian Games is a very big event and it's very important for me."

Quote:

Yi shows signs, but has room for improvement

Associated Press

Updated: December 3, 2006, 12:35 PM ET

Email

Print

DOHA, Qatar -- NBA prospect Yi Jianlian has been hailed by some as the "next Yao Ming."

For now, the 19-year-old is just another member of China's national team. And his coach is less than pleased with him.

Koichi Kamoshida/Getty Images

Yi Jianlian is being heralded as a possible lottery pick in next year's draft, but some say the 19-year-old needs to get better in order to make an impact.

"He needs to understand that it's not enough to be very talented," Lithuanian-born Jonas Kazlauskas said of Yi following China's 89-76 win over Kazakhstan at the Asian Games. "He needs to fight for every step, for every position, for every ball."

Kazlauskas' words typify much of the buzz surrounding the 19-year-old Yi: That he is a great athlete whose basketball skills and on-court presence still have a long way to go.

The 7-foot power forward had 14 points and six rebounds against Kazakhstan, but just as notable were his turnovers and flubbed shots.

On defense, Kazakh players scored over him easily, and he was outshined at both ends of the court by former NBA player Wang Zhizhi, who scored 22 points and had five rebounds.

"He was like a 'good boy'," Kazlauskas said of Yi. "Everyone could push him, could kick him out of the three-second zone. And he was happy with everything going on around him."

Yi, who won a six-figure deal from Nike, had some impressive moves as well, including a massive jam in the third quarter and a fade-away jumper reminiscent of Dirk Nowitzki.

While much work is ahead for Yi -- he especially needs to gain upper-body strength and build on-court intensity -- he has piqued the NBA's interest with his height and athleticism and is expected to be picked in the high rounds of next June's draft.

Kazakhstan starter Yevgeny Issakov said Yi's height and quickness make him formidable.

"He's very good and it's very hard for us to play over these tall Chinese guys," Issakov said.

And China's captain, Liu Wei, cautioned against judging Yi's performance too harshly.

"It's the first game and there's always a degree of adjustment that needs to be made," Liu said. "We'll be getting better and better."

Yi's true age is a subject of some controversy. Reports put his birth year as early as 1984, partly because sports authorities are known to report their players as younger than they actually are to keep them eligible for junior competitions.

Recruited into one of China's demanding state sports schools, Yi trained hard, eventually joining the Chinese Basketball Association. He led his native province's Guangdong Tigers to the CBA title last season, recording 20 double-doubles during the regular season and topping the 30-point mark eight times, including a 43-point performance in the regular season finale.

And despite a lackluster showing in last summer's world championships at which China finished 11th, Yi won praise from no less an authority than U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski.

"The kid Yi ... he'd be in the NBA. He'd be a lottery pick. That kid is really good," Krzyzewski said. "He'd probably be starting for some teams in the league. The kid's just got it."

Yao, the Houston Rockets star center who has not joined the China national team in Doha, said his own progress since joining the NBA reinforces the need for Yi and other Chinese players to go abroad as preparation for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing.

Despite his multiyear Nike contract and NBA prospects, Yi presently enjoys few extra privileges at home with the Tigers or traveling with the national team, living and practicing with his less-heralded teammates. He's kept a low profile at Doha, letting others do the talking for the team and shying away from interviews.

"I am not thinking too much about the draft, now I am focusing on helping China win the gold at Doha," Yi said on arrival. "The Asian Games is a very big event and it's very important for me."

You must remember that this is a message board, if it's not what they want to hear they just won't respond or they will hate. I agree, I still haven't seen much of this kid, but I didn't think really high of him when I did see him. He look average on the NBA level, he not Dirk or Gasol. But he did look on the NBA level which is good. He might be good, I don't know but I didn't see awe like I did when I seen Melo, Bron, Oden, Durant, Lawson, and even B. Wright when I just watched him in the game. This is something that I seen in all the star and superstar players in the game today at lower levels. I never seen it in Yi, maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't see it in Darko neither so who knows.

Quote:

Don't you understand how much we need ANOTHER SF/PF??

pillepalle.gifpillepalle.gif

This is not about Yi/Wright/or Horford

But this team badly needs a decent post player at PF, espically one with potienial to be great.

Smith is not a PF, he doesn't play it at all unless he on D.

Wright as I mention earlier is the best player in the draft outside of Durant and Oden and has showed enough to make me think he could be better then Durant by the end of his career.

Yi is a ?. I watched him in serveral games 'not many I might add' and I don't see the star or superstar in his game. He has good highlights but so does Stro Swift.

Horford can not succeed in this system. He need a Star or Superstar on the team. He needs a offense that moves well and works together. He also needs a year or two. Something the Hawks don't need. He needs to land in Boston, and could become Vin Baker II.

This is just a little tidbit on those players, I could care less what many on here have to say because I make my decisions thought courtless hours of flimwatching'except on Yi' and a sense of the game since I been playing since 5 and seen and know how players develop in this game. You don't have to like what I say, that's not my intention.

Quote:

Quote:

But this team badly needs a decent post player at PF,

Then Yi is without a shadow of a doubt the wrong pick. He has the skill set of a SF...His perimeter game is his strength...The post game is his WEAKNESS.

That one reason why I don't think he should be pick, but that's not the issue with him, it's do he gave it or does he not, and from my viewing he doesn't. I never claimed the Hawks to take Yi. I don't think he will sign witht them anyway so they can dump the thought. I really think well know that Wright is the best pick for the Hawks. He really is talented, not many buts on his game at all. The size thing is overblown but everything at this time is. I watched ESPN Classic today and seen Lebron in HS and TD at Wake and their body are so much more developed now then at those stages of there career. I really know this is a home run for the Hawks and don't need to second guess it much. They really needs to study other players in college like, Sheed, TD, Webber, and etc. and watch them and compare to Wright, that will help them sleep easier with the pick. Sightly OT, I remember when every Titan fan wanted M. Leinhart and not VY, said VY will suck and all that and hated him, but look what happen, that's all I got to say.

Quote:

Quote:

Don't you understand how much we need ANOTHER SF/PF??

pillepalle.gifpillepalle.gif

Funny because Pau Gasol was considered a SF/PF prospect. How did that one turn out.

As far as him having no post game, maybe he doesn't have the sky hook but he definitely has a nice turnaround jumpshot.

That your problem, your watching youtube and thinking that makes you a scout, internet videos tend to show you the best highlights of a indivial unless it's Shawn Bradley. I seen the video and just like Wright and Harford, it really didn't show nothing to either of those players game. It's showed Horford at his best times and Wright basically dunking like it was too easy. I really don't care what the general consesus on here says becuase there going to not remember any of this when we are here at this time next season, just what do the Hawks have right now to make a run for the playoffs or getting out the cellar.