• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why not trade for Ridnour with #11 pick?

Blunt91

Some have proposed trading for Jarrett Jack, but I just don't think Jack will make this team better. Jack is a better defender but is he a better passer than Ridnour? A rotation of Claxton,Ridnour & Johnson would be more ideal than Claxton,Jack & Johnson. In the first lineup you have 2 PGs who can play uptempo ball(Ridnour & Speedy). You also would have 2 pretty good defenders in Speedy & AJ. The lineup with Jack in it is more limited. The only person who would play uptempo in Speedy and also none of those are really that good at passing the ball.

I agree that the 11 pick should be used to get a vet player. Luke certainly should be in the list of guys to look at. My preference at this point is Monta Ellis, but I would be fine with Luke.

How many more players that don't play a lick of defense can you guys come up with trades for? Particularly trades that cost the Hawks their draft picks.

Let's see, we have constant talk of trading for Pau Gasol, one of the weakest defensive big men in the NBA. Now, Luke Ridnour's name gets mentioned, and he was benched in Seattle because Earl Watson is a much better defender.

I would do that trade. But I think the team could get even better by packing the pick with Chill for Andre Miller or maybe even Bibby. Those 2 are definitely out there in terms of availability for trades. Both would be a great upgrade and their teams basically want building blocks in return, so a pick and a player with potential might get it done.

yeah i mentioned this inside another thread but got no response. i think it would be a great idea due to exactly what you said. Plus he would be able to provide the extra consistent scoring that we need and also a little excitement.

I just don't know how the numbers work but I would definitely be willing to give up Lue and the #11 for Ridnour and maybe their 2nd rounder or something like that.

Quote:

How many more players that don't play a lick of defense can you guys come up with trades for? Particularly trades that cost the Hawks their draft picks.

Let's see, we have constant talk of trading for Pau Gasol, one of the weakest defensive big men in the NBA. Now, Luke Ridnour's name gets mentioned, and he was benched in Seattle because Earl Watson is a much better defender.

it's not like Lue is some special defender either and is getting up there in age and has no quickness or ability to setup his teammates. Luke defense isnt HORRIBLE plus as blunt said, we'd have speedy and aj for that if we're playing a special point...

but if you look at last year, our defense was middle of the pack while our offense was dead last..you fix the offense, you make the playoffs. defense in the paint was what killed us. defense on the perimeter wasnt great but wasnt what stopped us from getting further than we did.

If you try to improve our offense by putting below average defensive players out there, you are going to end up pushing our defense from middle of the pack to the bottom quarter of the league.

This team has to stress defense in everything they do. I am convinced that the only way this team will make a playoff push is to become much better and much more consistent on defense.

I would much rather be a top 5 defense and a middle of the pack offense than a top 5 offense and a middle of the pack defense.

• Moderators

I would not be interested in dealing the #11 pick for Ridnour. I think Seattle would be willing to give him up a lot cheaper than that and we would be overpaying to spend the 11th pick.

He is their backup PG. They might be willing just to take cap relief in the form of an expiring contract like AJ.

If Ridnour had shown he could play both sides of the floor, I would be all over him but he hasn't. Unless I thought whoever was available at #11 was simply not going to cut it, I would take my chances in the draft.

Not like we ever know who is really on the trading block but it was reproted by the media the Hawks and Seattle had trade discussions about Ridnour before the trade deadline last season.

Offensively he is much more of pure PG then any one on our roster. He would upgrade the flow of the offense, by being the play maker for the scorers. Every one could settlein a role and not play out of control / 1 on 1 junk we see so much of.

Right now Smith is forced to be a play maker too much. JJ is forced to do this to and can but he is forced to do it too much.

A PG who can create offense for our scoreres through creativity and drive penetration is a must. This is something Ridnour could do. It would cut down on team turn overs. Our team T/O rate is atrocious b/c fowards are forced to do more then they should b/c we do not have a play maker to make the game " easy" for them.

Currently AJ and Lue can not really create offense. Neither can really dribble drive and creat something out of nothing. The stand at the 3 point line and swing the ball from side to side with the occaisonal pick and roll. That is 8th grade basketball.

I agree Ridnour defense is suspect but he is simply and upgrade in the offensive facillitator role. He can creat offense for his teamates out of nothing. People forget the year the Sonics were a run and gun team, winning their division with Luke as the floor general.

Luke's defense is suspect and he is not a savior but a pretty substantial up grade and is young. I agree he is not worth the #11 pick but a combo of Salim / Lue / Lo / AJ, if some spare parts would upgrade a position we got to do it.

The PG situation is at a really bad state when people are hollering for Ridnour as a PG savior.

I would rather have Jack or even give Law a chance then Ridnour. I cannot see Critt getting playing time at PG for at least 2 years.

I hope BK sees the importance of a floor general and actually addreses it for this time in his Hawk career !