• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are so many here obsessed with Luke Ridnour?

Sothron

Quote:

Quote:

The personnel the Hawks have put together are built for an up-tempo game, in my opinion. Ridnour would give us an up-tempo point to run that show.

I think that the point being made is that it doesn't matter who makes the pass to the open man if the open man cannot hit the shot! That was the Hawks problem in a nut shell last year. Teams would pack it in daring the Hawks to make an open shot and they couldn't. Believe it our not, last year the ball movement was good in most games. So I don't know what Ridnour would add to this team

Peoria . . get ready tomorrow. I'm about to present some stuff that will totally back up your claim. Matter of fact, here is a sneak preview of it.

06- 07 Hawks shooting from our top 10 guys ( jumpshots only, from an efficiency FG perspective )

JJ - 49.8% . . . ( 77% of shots were jumpers )

Salim - 46.7% . . . ( 86% )

Lue - 45.4% . . . ( 82% )

AJ - 42.8% . . . ( 84% )

Marvin - 41.5% . . . ( 69% )

Chill - 38% . . . ( 37% )

Shelden - 34.6% . . . ( 52% )

ZaZa - 34.1% . . . ( 35% )

Speedy - 33.3% . . . ( 76% )

Smoove - 31.6% . . . ( 51% )

These numbers are AMAZING!! For one, it shows you just how important JJ is to this team.

2nd, Smoove's outside shooting is UNACCEPTABLE for a guy who takes over 1/2 of this shots from the outside. Smoove's outside shooting actually DIGRESSED this year, from 36% last year, to 31% this year. I want to see his outside shot% somewhere around what ZaZa and Chill took.

( edit: Let me make that clearer. I want to see Smoove's % of outside shot to total shots, in the area of ZaZa and Chill. Those guys don't take more than 40% of their shots from the outside. Smoove should follow their lead )

This guy does NOT need to be jacking up a lot of shots outside of 15 feet. I'd rather for him to go to the hole every time, than to shoot a jumper. These numbers also dispel the myth that Smoove can play the SF. No he can't. Not with shooting numbers like that. Keep him at PF, and let him use his athleticism and quickness to beat bigger PFs and Cs on offense.

3rd, Speedy was atrocious from the outside ( eFG% of 33% ), and even more atrocious from the inside ( eFG of 36% ). Last year, his eFG from the outside was 37%, while his eFG from the inside was 53.5%. And he took it to the hole 31% of the time, compared with 24% this year. It kind of shows you that he had problems this year and couldn't play his normal game. But if he still has problems physically, he doesn't need to be on the court.

4th, of the 69% of jumpers that Marvin took from the outside, 85% of those were assisted. The 41% number is definitely a concern, if this guy isn't going to go to the basket and convert. And that 85% numbers tells you something too. It tells you that Marvin isn't looking to do anything off the dribble, as far as a pull-up jumper. He's either passing the ball, or trying to take the ball all the way to the rim, when he puts the ball on the floor.

For the record, Smoove and Chill do the same thing. 80% of Smoove's jumpers are assisted and 78% of Chill's jumpers are assisted. In comparison, Salim saw 69% of his jumpers assisted, Lue 44% and JJ only 41%.

LOL . . for those of you who think we can survive with just a PG who can pass, you better think again. We need an ALL-AROUND guy here, who can do both . . at a pretty high level.

And his name is NOT Luke Ridnour.

The thing with Marvin is that his role last year was as a spot up shooter. I think that's why he was taking so many assisted jump shots. He was the guy that positioned himself for the open jumper when the ball went inside either to the post, usually Zaza, or if someone was driving into the lane. At this point, the coaching staff hasn't asked Marvin to take on a bigger role in the offense. Actually, I'd like to see the breakdown of what these numbers looked like over the last month of the season, when Marvin did take on a bigger role in the offense.

I think this offseason, the Hawks will have to decide if they want Josh Smith to be the secondary offensive option, if they want Marvin Williams to be the secondary offensive option, or if they ask Yi Jianlian to be that guy as a rookie. I don't see Woodson putting that much onto a rookie, but I think Marvin is at the point that you have to put more on him. He's a much more skilled offensive player than Josh Smith will ever be....better jump shooter, better ball handler, better on the drive to the basket, does a better job of getting to the free throw line.