• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Could YI be the STAR of this draft?

NJHAWK

Oden is the big man of the draft and while he will be a solid center imo he has almost no chance to be a Duncun, Admiral or Hakeem like instant franchise changer with pick #1. Durant could be the star for sure if he fills out a little. I was not thrilled with all the Yi talk but really what does anyone know about this guy? Those videos of him playing vs midgets dont tell us anything. The video clips of him abusing Gasol dont tell us anything because Gasol cant guard anyone. I magine if this guy is the drafts superstar. The one differance maker in this draft. Oden fans will jump all opver this like Oden has one ounce of offensive skills or something but what if YI is the GUY.

What franchise player does Oden remind you of? I just do not see it in any way shape or form. He is big but not a beast like Shaq where he will just barrell through people. I dont see anywhere near the footwork and skill set of Hakeem or Duncun. I see maybe at best in 2 or 3 years a Mutumbo/Dampier type. Theres nothing wrong with that but I think franchise changer is too strong of a phrase for him.

one he's only 19,, and has alot of room to grow. He's a super athletic freak, with unbeliable size. his Offensive game isn't polish but he definitly has the tools to develop them, Howard's offensive game wasn't polished when he came in and look how he's develop. He's an absolute monster on defense, superlong arms,good with he left hand, and a freak, he's gonna be a great defensive anchor, when you watch game Ohio state, when he was on the court, teams weren't able to take it inside, cause of his big presence, forcing them to take though long range shots, and you saw what he did to Flordia's front line 3 lottery picks, he just destroyed them.

I know I posted that I mistakenly thought Foyle had Dampier type best year stats. Now that Oden will not be a Hawk I have no problem making a bet but not on Foyle. Id rather keep it simple to just ppg and rpg. Maybe throw in blocks as well. We can just set #'s now or what Id like to do is to see after all the smoke clears who the Hawks center who gets the most minutes will be. Maybe like an Oden vs ZAZA points and rebounds bet. I just want to see what happens in the draft or free agency cause for all we know ZazA could be traded in a blockbuster deal. The reason I want to make a bet like this is so I can root for a Hawks player to do well as opposed to just rooting for Oden to do bad. However if you just want to pick #'s and you think Oden will be an instant franchis changer ala Duncun, Shaq or the Admiral we can just bet #'s. I wont even go as high as the #'s those cats put up. Id be willing to bet staright up that he doesnt avr 16 ppg for the season in lets say at least 50 games played. If he is a franchise changing player he should at least be able to do that.

All of us are guessing at this point on how the prospects will be in the pros. If Yi wants to go 3rd in the draft he better scrimmage against the Horford's,Wright's and a bigger man like Noah. I like what I see on video but against inferior competition a decent player can look great.

I am not going to be settled in this debate till we here about the tryouts until then we are all guessing. The same goes for the point guards Conley,Law and Crit all have ability but who will dominate if any.

You saw what tony parker did vs the Cavaliers ,Conley could be that type for us.If Conley plays well in these tryouts then I am all for trading the 11 pick and marvin or chills or do what it takes to get him and draft horford/Yi with the 3rd pick. Again who does well in these tryouts will be the determining factor.

Quote:

What franchise player does Oden remind you of?

Patrick Ewing. Defensive anchor, solid on offense. I don't think he's the kind of guy who will automatically make you a contender single handedly like Shaq, but he can be a guy that you can easily build championship-caliber teams around if you're smart. Portland is well on their way.

• Premium Member

Quote:

if we had the #1 pick, I wonder if you would still be saying that.

Duncan is not that athletic either but i would still want him on my team! I don't know what you are trying to make but Oden's vertical is no better than Shelden Williams. He is just longer!

Quote:

Quote:

What franchise player does Oden remind you of?

Patrick Ewing. Defensive anchor, solid on offense. I don't think he's the kind of guy who will automatically make you a contender single handedly like Shaq, but he can be a guy that you can easily build championship-caliber teams around if you're smart. Portland is well on their way.

Agreed...he seems to have it all. He could have sat out most of the combine drills but he participated and further distanced himself from Durant and the rest. Barring injuries - he will be a stud in the middle for a decade at least. Sure wish our 11.8% would have come through. detective.gif

Quote:

Oden is the big man of the draft and while he will be a solid center imo he has almost no chance to be a Duncun, Admiral or Hakeem like instant franchise changer with pick #1.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

The admiral was 24 his rookie year. He played 4 year at Navy and completed his extra 2 year committment to the Navy before he went to the NBA.

Duncan was a polished 4 year senior at 22 coming into the league.

Hakeem either played 3 or 4 years at U of Houston before going pro.

Comparing Oden's game at 19 to David's at 24, Duncan's at 22, and Hakeem's at 21 or 22 makes no sense.

He could easily be better then then all these guys at the age of 22.

I think that P. Ewing is the bottom floor of his potential and that is a Hall of Famer.

Ewing was a great player but not an elite player like Hakeem, Duncun and Robinson. Hakeem made Ewing look silly in the 94 finals. That said I dont see Oden being a Ewing at all. Maybe he develpoes some skill set that he showed none of in college, maybe. I think his ceiling is Deke. Like I said thats not bad cause a player like that helps you win but he is not going to be a franchise changer. As for him being a freshman and those cats being seniors, well the landscpes of both college and pro ball have changed since the Hakeem and Ewing days. A college freshman is a senior now since its pretty much one and done. Im sure there were alot tougher matchups for Ewing, Hakeem and Robinson in college since they were playing vs 21 and 22 year olds as freshman. When those guys entered the nba their were no 18 or 19 year olds.

Quote:

I dont see Oden being a Ewing at all. Maybe he develpoes some skill set that he showed none of in college, maybe. I think his ceiling is Deke.

That is ridiculous.

Oden's defense eill be Deke like.

On Offense Oden was the fastest big man at the combine and has show an assortment of post moves. The guy has a left and right hook that you can't defend.

How can you say he showed no skill set unless you just were not looking ?

"Think his cieling his Deke." That is ridiculous.