• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Kevin Durant Conspiracy Theory

BHayley

So I was jogging and listening to the show (don't know the name) at around 3:30 PM, and one of the hosts brought up his conspiracy theory that Durant is intentionally doing poorly at workouts (last in speed workouts, can't bench press worth a jack and much more) because he told his agent he doesn't want to go to Seattle. I mean, this guy was the best player in the country on the college basketball scene as an EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD, NOT A NINETEEN YEAR OLD. I actually find this intriguing, but am not really buying it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Premium Member

It's understandable, considering the future of the franchise being in Seattle is dim. There is a good chance Sonics will move out of Seattle within the next 2-3 years. It would be great for us if Seattle passed on him.

Quote:

I just think he isn't that great of an athlete.

That's why the Dirk comparisons are more fitting that the McGrady ones.

It's not a bad thing to not be athletic because hey Dirk won MVP.

Yeah Dirk is great, but he's not a winner. mad.gif

I'd love to get Durant if he drops to 3, then trade wings + crap PG for a big. I'd keep AJ, and trade Speedy if possible, but if Speedy can stay healthy, we should just hang onto him

Quote:

Quote:

I just think he isn't that great of an athlete.

That's why the Dirk comparisons are more fitting that the McGrady ones.

It's not a bad thing to not be athletic because hey Dirk won MVP.

Yeah Dirk is great, but he's not a winner. mad.gif

I'd love to get Durant if he drops to 3, then trade wings + crap PG for a big. I'd keep AJ, and trade Speedy if possible, but if Speedy can stay healthy, we should just hang onto him

Dirk's teams always seem to win around 60 games and he's only a year removed from a Final's appearance, so it's kind of harsh to say he's not a winner. Right now pretty much only Shaq and Duncan are winners if winning a championship is the only criterion.

I realize it's just a conspiracy theory, but I don't care for the idea of a player intentionally dogging it at any time. That makes me question things like integrity, and character. If he *really* was dead-set against playing in Seattle, then why not just be straight-up about it and tell them that, and let them work out a trade or an alternate plan?

Quote:

guys, durant isn't dropping to 3 unless he jumps off a bridge.

I just got back from Seattle. If the Sonics pass on Durant, that will really piss off the fans. But the new owner Bennett (as well liked as our Belkin) is doing everything he can to alienate and anger the fans and local government with the goal of moving the team to KC or Oklahoma City. - On the very day of the lottery, did he use the #2 pick (Durant) to drum up support for the team and a new arena? No, he made a statement that the situation for keeping the Sonics in Seattle had never been bleaker - and he did it in Oklahoma City. If bringing in Durant might help keep the team in Seattle, he'll probably pick someone else. He also just dumped local favorite Lenny Wilkens and hired a new GM from San Antonio (neighboring state to OK) - and showed no respect for the aging Wilkens at all. Looks like the ownership in Seattle is even worse than in Atlanta.

So I wouldn't blame Durant for not wanting to come to such a screwed up team.

It's indeed extremely doubtful the sonics will not pick Durant with the 2nd pick. It is however, with all the negative news and perhaps a lackadaisical approach in not wanting to be drafted by the sonics, indeed possibly a tactic by his agent to encourage the sonics to trade the pick.

However, last I read, Durant was the one and only player who did not have the trainers, preparation and whatever regimen prior to the lottery, draft, workout, combine whatever.

This is due to his already being a highly marketable player having to put a lot of affairs in order as he knows he's going to get paid. Now he isn't the only player in this situation but it seems he didn't get the proper advice in preparation and might be underestimating his preparation since his draft status is pretty much cemented at the top anyway.

Tim Grover did not say Durant was dogging it, just that Durant was ill-prepared. I don't think it's a hoax/conspiracy against Seattle nor a deliberate act of Durant to avoid Seattle.

What would atl offer for the 2nd pick though? 3 +? for 2+?