• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Highlights from Knight on 790

BHayley

Quote:

Is the Chinese league inferior to the NCAA? Yi didn't get pushed around much in international competitions. But before you exclaim that the Chinese league isn't more than a glorified rec league, consider that we have been getting our asses kicked in internation comp for the past 10 years. I am not to willing to think that our college kids are better than anybody in the world at this point.

CBA Stats

Let's just put it this way...Brandon Crump, a scrub at Tennessee that would NEVER, EVER make it in the NBA averaged 27.4 ppg and 14.4 rebounds.

uglyhammer.gifuglyhammer.gif

CHINESE BASKETBALL IS A COMPLETE JOKE!!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Every single scouting report I've read has said that he gets pushed around in the post (embarassingly awful when you are 7'1 240) and there are very serious doubts whether he could even play PF in the NBA.

What on earth would compel you to think he could play C???

Especially immediately.

I think we are unfairly expecting Yi to be further along than any of the other players that we could potentially draft. I mean he isn't supposed to walk on the court as an all star player.

OK. Then why not trade him since we already have a ton of young, promising talent at SF and PF???

Yi makes absolutely ZERO sense for this team.

Quote:

Quote:

Is the Chinese league inferior to the NCAA? Yi didn't get pushed around much in international competitions. But before you exclaim that the Chinese league isn't more than a glorified rec league, consider that we have been getting our asses kicked in internation comp for the past 10 years. I am not to willing to think that our college kids are better than anybody in the world at this point.

CBA Stats

Let's just put it this way...Brandon Crump, a scrub at Tennessee that would NEVER, EVER make it in the NBA averaged 27.4 ppg and 14.4 rebounds.

Maybe he is a product of style of play. The point is that we expect Yi to be a finished product as a rookie, which is ridiculous

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CBA Stats

Maybe he is a product of style of play. The point is that we expect Yi to be a finished product as a rookie, which is ridiculous

So why would we use the #3 pick on an undeveloped SF/PF prospect??

Where does that fit in on our team with a 21 year old PF that averaged 16.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, and 3 bpg, a 20 year old SF (#2 pick in '05 draft...More potential than Yi going into the draft), Childress and Shelden??

WE DON'T NEED HIM! HE IS A WASTE OF A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO FILL OUR NEEDS AND IMPROVE THIS TEAM!!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CBA Stats

No what is ridiculous is expecting Yi to play center when his lack of strength is his only readily apparent weakness, and it is a glaring one.

I frankly don't understand why people keep thinking he can play center. Is it just wishful thinking or are people trying to protect Marvin from competition?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CBA Stats

No what is ridiculous is expecting Yi to play center when his lack of strength is his only readily apparent weakness, and it is a glaring one.

I frankly don't understand why people keep thinking he can play center. Is it just wishful thinking or are people trying to protect Marvin from competition?

people are trying to project value on Yi since he's the only 7 footer available in the 3 hole, regardless of whether he is a wing or post player.

if that makes them feel better then i say let them type their little fingers off.

the only way to go with the #3 and #11 are at the Post and PG spots. the wings need somebody to run with for the next 5 years.

i think a trade is in order. why on earth someone would give up a star caliber player for the #3 in this year's draft is beyond me though.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Marvin had even more potential coming into the draft.

If you seriously believe this then this is a non-starter in terms of a discussion.

Any team that hinges their franchise's hopes on MW over Yi is just plain foolish and doomed. You wouldn't find another GM in the league that would make that choice.

Again, Yi is reportedly YOUNGER (20) than MW (21 on June 19th).

W

There are a few basketball novices on this board that think that 7'0=Center. That's all there is to it.

If Yi was 6'10 with his current skill set very few would be trying to jam him into Center. The more you know about Yi the more an educated fan knows he isn't remotely a Center prospect and he will never be one.

Quote:

You don't think MW had more potential going into the '05 draft than Yi does going into this draft?

I think every single GM would actually disagree with you on that one.

That isn't relevant. We know for sure that Marvin was overhyped. What has he done well since he has been here? he was supposed to be a pure shooter but he hasn't shot well. He doesn't finish well inside and gets his shot blocked constantly. The only thing he has done well is shoot free throws.

Sure he is young and can get better but i haven't seen anything to suggest that he can be an All-Star.

We have several forwards but the problem is that they aren't that good. Smith is better at the 4. His outside shot isnt really consistent enough to play the 3 plus he isn't quick enough to guard the 3. Marvin hasn't done much and Chill looks like a career 6/7th man.

I am not completely sold on Yi at 3 but i am convinced that, disregarding position, he is the 3rd best prospect in the draft. Picking him would be a gamble but i can't see how it would be a wasted pick.

A line-up that could win (IMHO) is:

Center: Shelden Williams...let him play where he is comfortable. He's only 6'9" but he is strong and will be covered by his two shot blocking forwards.

Power forward: Pau Gasol...seven footer with post moves. Tougher than people give him credit for.

Small Forward: Josh Smith...needs to improve the perimeter game but he is a game changer when he is cooking. When there is a high rebound in the lane there is no question as far as who will get it.

Shooting Guard: JJ - enough said.

PG: Here's the rub. Personally I would like Ridnour...he knows the game and he would be like a kid in a candy store with all of our assist options...kick out to JJ...lob to JS...standard post up to Pau...and the occasional inside feed to Shelden when his man is shading over to Gasol.

I don't think anyone trades centers who that much better than Zaza, regardless of what you give them. They are just not that common. If you really want a chance at a true center, draft Hawes or Splitter and pray -- otherwise settle for Horford or another PF who can play some C.

The only way we'll ever improve the C position is by drafting one. That means continuing to stink so that we get good draft picks and pray for the next Oden or "reaching" for a player.