• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yi wants to play PF.

oiatlhawksfan

Quote:

Regardless of whether you agree that Yi is a more perimeter oriented player than I guess you are agreeing with my original thought that Yi is not an answer for our center problems. Think of it further this way. His agents are micromanaging his every move. Agents and all informed basketball folks realize the current dearth of centers in the NBA. If Yi's agents believed at all that he was capable of playing center than that is what we would hear from his agents and Yi because Yi has far more draft value as a potential center than as a forward. Whether Yi is a pure 4 or a 3/4 combo it appears unlikely at all that he is a future 5.

Sure as of now, Yi is no 5.

But if Shelden is BK's guy at 5 that doesn't matter.

It's about getting a guy too talented to pass up on.

Does that put a player like Marvin on the bench? Sure

But so be it. He could be our Ginobili

It doesn't mean Yi can't be a C down the road though. The guy has no physical limitations that would prevent him from developing into a potential 5 just like Pau Gasol could be.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pau is a power forward as well. Yes, he played almost all of his minutes last season at the center position, but Pau is on record saying that he would rather play the power forward position than the center position. In fact, that was one of the many reasons Pau demanded a trade from the Grizzlies this past season. He wants to go somewhere that he can play the power forward position, and when Billy Knight drafted him, he drafted him to play the power forward position.

Maybe the reason you don't know that is because I've only been on here for like a year.

In '05 I was the BIGGEST supporter of Chris Paul out of any Hawks fan...I was SO pissed when we took Marvin...I mean real pissed...So I was right there.

In '04 I wanted Iggy.

You judge for yourself, then again I don't really care what your opinion is.

Quote:

At least part of being a pf is attitude and the fact that he wants to play there says something. As opposed to Smoove who could play pf but wants to play outside as a sf.

I think Yi will put on some weight and be a force inside in a year or two.

Come on now, saying it and doing it are two different things. Marvin said during his courtship for the draft that his favorite player was Garnett because of his passion and aggression. How did that work out for Marvin? The dude looks like he is asleep on the court most of the time.

Your arguments for Yi are the exact same arguments that people used two years ago to justify taking Marvin over two very talented and needed point guards.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Your arguments for Yi are the exact same arguments that people used two years ago to justify taking Marvin over two very talented and needed point guards.

Only this time Yi is significantly more talented with significantly greater upside than MW, a 6'9.5" Pf like Horford isn't anymore "needed" than Yi especially when we've invested a 5th pick in SW, and the top 3 Pgs in this draft aren't as good as Deron or Paul and can be had at 11.

The flaw in the 2005 draft was both the exclusivity of the "BPA" theory and the application of it. YOU WEIGH EVERYTHING. You weigh what the draft offers you, your positional and talent needs, toughness, attitude, preparedness, hunger, everything. You may give more weight to one thing BUT YOU WEIGH EVERYTHING. The argument for MW was he was the "BP ('project' in this case) A". The assessment was not only ridiculously flawed but shouldn't have been exclusive. MW was NOT the "BPA" and even if he was, without being SIGNIFICANTLY better there was no reason to take another Sf 2nd when we needed a Pg.

In this year's case, Yi is the "BPA" at 3. I believe he is significantly better than anybody else at 3. The closest MIGHT be Horford, then Wright. Who knows really. It might be Al Thorton really (like we're going to entertain that, but...Conley is not even close to Yi, NOT EVEN CLOSE, but if he were and Crittenton and Law are close to if not better than him, you'd still have to take Yi at 3 because you get more value for your picks by getting Crit or Law at 11. Regardless, the closest in talent and potential to Yi are BOTH Pfs. There is no difference in position here. You can try to make Horford a center just like people wanted to make SW a C but that always diminishes a player's on the court value and Horford's, already being less than Yi's, shouldn't be further diminished by trying to make him something he's not. Also the team would suffer by trying to play a two 6'9" frontline. Horford and JS would both be undersized and/or out of position. That is NOT the way you win titles. We aren't the Denver Broncos. We can't cut block our larger line opposition. Even if we could the results are mixed. If Horford were a freak like Dwight Howard? Maybe. He's not. 13/9 your junior year does not suggest NBA greatness in anyway shape or form. His all-around game, while fun for me too watch, would be painful to watch while Yi starts to tear this league a new one (and there is real potential for this).

W

• Premium Member

My feeling on the matter is he's 20. He will continue to grow. By the time he's been in the league 4 years, he will probably be a PF/C. I just don't know how a lot of you would want to pass up on a 7'1" 245 guy with his speed, footwork, offensive ability.

He and Law will be a great draft for the Hawks!

Quote:

I've shown you scouting report after scouting report that says he gets pushed around in the post...AND THAT IS BY CHINESE PLAYERS!!!

THINK ABOUT WHAT THE NBA WILL DO TO HIM IN THE POST!!!!!

well, i know he's played 2-3 games against the nba allstars (team USA) and done VERY well

More and more that Marvin pick is standing out as a big obstacle in the Hawks rebuilding.

BK has sort of painted himself into a corner now because this team desperately needs a pass first point guard and big man with some post moves and defensive skills.

It is really sad that BK is probably going to use his 6th consecutive first round pick on a forward, three of which are very high lottery selections. Why does this guy still have a job?

Quote:

Acie Law

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

Yi Jianlian

Shelden Williams

What's the problem?

1. To start, Smoove is an awsome PF.

2. Marvin is ready to bust out at SF much like Smith busted out last year.

3. Sheldon is not a center for extended minutes. Sheldon could play maybe 10 mpg at center and get away with it but not 30.

4. The only reason Yi is considered a #3 pick is POTENTIAL. I'm just sick of fowards with potential.

5. Marvin on the bench Chills will get little to know playing time.

That is what is wrong with it. That be said it could wstill work. Chills would be the odd man out. Trading Chills for Wilcox is not a even swap but it is hard to trade a wing for a big. Wilcox would help the post defense and rebounding dept.

Marvin /Smith / Yi could all get 33 minutes per game BUT would scare Smoove off from signing an extension leaving the possiblity we lose him for nothing ?

To me a PF is not what we need. Sheldon is a PF, Smoove is PG. That is enough PFs and both are young.

I am officialy on the win now / Gasol band wagon. Eventually we have to take the next step. To me Yi would be a step back. Yi would skow the develpment of Marvin and Smith and we would have 3 years to wait on Yi.

This arguement of "Would Gasol make us a championship contender ?"

Who knows. He would definatly get us in the playoffs and with the East the way it is now, anything can happen once in the playoffs. A team with Gasol and JJ cooupled with the upcoming growth of Marvin and Smoove would make us title contenders sooner then a team featuring Yi rather then Smoove.

With Woodson being a Larry Brown pupil I'm sure Hoford's toughness, defense, and rebounding fits his requirements of post player more so then Yi. Especially after the Pistons went through the Darko years. Those darko years are things to come (De Ja Vu) of things to come with Yi.

Yi could be Dirk or Yi could be all those other tall foreign players who's name I will not even attempt to spell.

I we can't get Gasol then I would roll the dice on Yi.