• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Two punks talking.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

"I talk to my friend all the time, and he says that that the first year is tough. It's hard to get adjusted to the long, long hours and no holidays or summer break. Especially if you're in an upstart program that's not finished growing yet. While it's on the most elite level, it's not nearly as successful yet as most of the 31 other programs. And it's even tougher when you come from a place like Johns Hopkins where you're used to being successful at everything you do, scoring the highest grades and getting the tops honors and awards and being recognized throughout teh country for your accomplishments. But when you make an adult decision you have to be prepared to deal with it."

If I said that to you, would you assume that my friend regrets his decision and would you feel certain that he's not the kind of surgeon you want helping grow your hospital's program into the elite among the elite?

I would think that you have some doubts about your abilities. The reason why some very good Doctors have "god Complexes" is because of confidence. You can't be a good doctor if you lack confidence in yourself. If you are a doctor and you're sitting around talking about the negatives associated with the job and saying, but when you make an adult decision, you have to do deal with it. If I'm the Hospital Admin, I'm either going to get you into Doctor Therapy or out of my Hospital. The Job is much too important for you to be focused on the negatives of the job. Everybody who does rotations complain, but hwen they come out, there rotations have prepared them for "the good Life". Rarely do you hear a board certified Doctor Practicing complaining publicly. If he is, he's not elite. The NBA is "the good life".

Quote:

I would think that you have some doubts about your abilities. The reason why some very good Doctors have "god Complexes" is because of confidence. You can't be a good doctor if you lack confidence in yourself. If you are a doctor and you're sitting around talking about the negatives associated with the job and saying, but when you make an adult decision, you have to do deal with it.

Saying a job is tough and there's an adjustment period doesn't mean you don't have confidence in your ability, it means you're able to recognize the obvious.

Let's not forget that Marvin had no control whatsoever on who drafted him, and what kind of sh*tstorm of a franchise he might be coming into. Expressing frustration with a losing team doesn't equal a lack of confidence. Even the greatest players of all time share their frustrations with a team that isn't winning or playing the right way. Saying "this is hard" doesn't mean "I don't think I can do it". Especially when you're preparing someone else who is about to go through it.

Quote:

That's the thing.

You got to want to win. I don't get all that upset with Smoove or even Salim when they have a fit because those guys are competitors.

However, Marvin is a ham and egger. The guy who just goes out and does his job and goes home... I say that because I haven't seen anything different in what Marvin does now and what he's always done. Marvin still shoots set shots from the midrange. He still goes in and gets his shot blocked.

Smoove was very raw when we got him. All he could do was Dunk and block shots. He's added an outside shot. Dribbling. Passing. Confidence to his game.

When JJ got into the league, he was a passive guy. While at Phoenix, a standstill jumper. After his second year here, He's anything we need. He's picking up stuff.

I want the guy with Alonzo Morning desire. Not that he plays like Morning, but he wants it. The guy who will cry like KG cries because he wants to win so badly. The desire is missing from Marvin. In fact, it's never been there. You know when I really knew that Marvin lacked desire. It was during training camp, his first year. Marvin spoke to reporters about how hard Salim Works and how he was in awe of Salim. Hello, you were pick 1st round #2. Salim picked 2nd round. Why are you in Awe of Salim. Go out and be your own competitive person. Work with him. Try to get on his level. The ride is over. May, Felton, and McCants are gone. They are not carrying you anymore. It's time for you to step up!

I agree with this assessment.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Saying "this is hard" doesn't mean "I don't think I can do it". Especially when you're preparing someone else who is about to go through it.

If you were sick with a strange sickness...

and you went to your doctor and he was young and you overheard him saying to another doctor in the hall..

"Jeff, I just don't know. I mean, the last time I saw these symptoms, I lost the patient".

then Jeff says.

"Well Bob, this is a different patient, a different day".

Then Bob Says..

"Yeah, I guess you're right, I mean, it's hard being a doctor, they are just gong to have to understand that I'm young and I have to make the transition to being a good doctor, I'm just not going to be good my 3rd year out of medical school. "

How long will you sit in the doctors office?

My point is this... It's alright for other people to say that Marvin's development is supposed to take a few years.. BUT Marvin is never supposed to other those words about himself. NO Star ever make excuses for not being the best. True Stars just work harder to get better. How many times did Jordan ever complain about the game being hard for him? How many times did you read Kobe saying It's going to take a few years for him to be a star?

The way Marvin talks, it's a lot of regret, and in other instances, a lot of accepted excuses. That's not the mark of a star player.

Quote:

If you were sick with a strange sickness...

and you went to your doctor and he was young and you overheard him saying to another doctor in the hall..

"Jeff, I just don't know. I mean, the last time I saw these symptoms, I lost the patient".

then Jeff says.

"Well Bob, this is a different patient, a different day".

Then Bob Says..

"Yeah, I guess you're right, I mean, it's hard being a doctor, they are just gong to have to understand that I'm young and I have to make the transition to being a good doctor, I'm just not going to be good my 3rd year out of medical school. "

I have no idea how this applies to Marvin, but I think it's funny that the analogy game came this far.

How did you stretch Marvin's 3rd hand quote into him being an overwhelmed young doctor with patients dying on his operating table?

Marvin isn't saying he's been failing because it's so hard. He's just saying it's hard. I think what I do for a living is hard, I love it and I think I'm good at it, but I still think it's hard. If it weren't hard, it wouldn't be much fun.

Your scenario suggests hat he'd admitting to some kind of failure and excuse making.

That's not what he was saying and makes no sense in the context of a conversation with Brandan. I'm hearing more along the lines of "Brandan, my friend, get ready because it's about to get more intense. Don't look back, keep your chin up and stay focused."