• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pau Gasol requests to be traded

Sothron

• Premium Member

Gasol wants reinforcements at Memphis or he's off

June 13, 2007

By Jeff Taylor Special to PA SportsTicker

Pau Gasol has warned the Memphis Grizzlies he will seek a move to a new team unless the front office adds quality players to the squad.

Gasol, who is back in his home country of Spain resting ahead of this summer's EuroBasket, said on his website, www.paugasol.com: "If they are desperate to keep me, then they have to make the necessary effort to get players around me that can compete at the maximum level.

"I want to be in a winning team that has ambition and fights for everything with stronger players. I want to have options to have the opportunity that I didn't have last season."

In 2006, Gasol was an NBA All-Star and reached the play-offs with the Grizzlies.

He then earned MVP honors at the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan as Spain captured the gold medal.

However the seven-footer suffered a foot injury in Spain's semi-final win over Argentina that required an operation, and forced him to miss the first 22 games of the season.

Nevertheless, he was quickly into his stride once on the court again and finished the season averaging 20.8 points and 9.8 rebounds.

Memphis never recovered from Gasol's absence early on when they won just five games and lost 22.

Gasol was mentioned in trade rumours with the Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics but he finished the year with the Tennessee team, when ended the year last in the Southwest Division with a 22-60 record.

The Grizzlies recently appointed Marc Iavaroni as their new coach, and Gasol revealed he has already met with his new boss.

"I had two meetings with him in Barcelona and he told me that he is counting on me for his project," Gasol said.

Gasol has put the gauntlet down. Either get him real talent around him (and considering the Grizz owner is cheap I don't see this happening) or move him to another team. Interesting time for him to make those remarks when the NBA is entering the busiest trade discussion time of the year for general managers.

Next time Gasol goes to talk with his new boss at his office. He should act a fool, and throws some chairs, tip-over some trash canS , and knock all the papers off of his Desk.

That way the Grizz will lower the price for Gasol, so the can get rid of him ASAP.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Next time Gasol goes to talk with his new boss at his office. He should act a fool, and throws some chairs, tip-over some trash canS , and knock all the papers off of his Desk.

That way the Grizz will lower the price for Gasol, so the can get rid of him ASAP.

Wasn't it Willie Randolph the old Mets manager who had that kind of a tirade at reporters? It was hilarious.

• Premium Member

Quote:

3, Chillz, Lo, Lue for Gasol!!

Unfortunately, I'm guessing Shelden would have to be included as well.

Shelden? That would be tipping point territory for me... anything beyond what you've named makes Yi or Horford the smarter deal, imo...

I would be all for that, but I don't think that would be enough for Memphis. They have no size and that deal doesn't give them any size. They'd then have 4 players that are about the same, Warrick, Chillz, Marvin, and Gay.

I doubt it, but would a trade of ZaZa/Chillz/Lue for Gasol get it done? If you look at the increase in PPG and even rebounds and assists per game would go up, and they'd have their starting center. I think they'd want more for him than that. The #11 pick might sweeten that deal, but then we'd be forced to use our #3 pick on a PG or trade it for one. In a perfect world, we could put together a package without giving up either pick. Would you guys be down for Chillz/Shelden/ZaZa/Lue for Gasol? We'd keep both picks to draft Yi and the best PG available? Would Memphis have any interest in that? We'd lose some depth but I could live with it cause' let's face it, depth is only good if your top guys are great.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I sincerely doubt Memphis would trade Gasol, which would signal a rebuilding effort btw, and not get at least one draft pick back out of the deal.

Absolutely. That's why you give them the #3 without hesitation. Lue/Zaza/Childress/#3 is the deal, if I'm GM.

the only reasonable deal for us that I think BK would actually do but MAYBE not Memphis (although his demand doesnt help them) is:

Zaza (rplces Gasol), #3, Chill, and Lue for Gasol...not sure if the amounts matchup or not...but BK won't give up Marvin or Shelden this early. I also think that BK gave the nugget of info about Shelden starting to make other teams think we arent as desperate for bringing a big man in as the other teams would hope (as far as bargaining-wise) but he would be ok with him backing up at that position or, if he bulked up, starting even.

but lue gives them a point who can score, #3, good piece in chill and a solid center in zaza...

I don't know if you'd have to put ZaZa in there if you're putting the #3 pick in there along with Chillz and Lue. If I'm including the #3 pick, I'd try to hold on to ZaZa only because he's still a good value and does give you some depth off the bench for a big man. Financially, I think he has to be included to make the deal work unless Memphis would take Lo instead, but I don't see that happening. The concerning thing is we'd be relying on our PF/C rotation to comprise of: Smoove, Gasol, Shelden, Lo, Jones which is really 4 PF's and one weak, broke down old center. If we play uptempo, that's fine, but that's not Gasol's game. I know he's a 7 footer, so that helps out alot. I'd still do it and get your best PG available at #11. We're set to contend for the playoffs easily. I'd say that's a 45 team or better.