• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trading Down

Dragitoff

I know there's been alot of talk about trading down. If trading down was the only move Atlanta made this offseason (other than drafting players), what would you most like to see happen? Please be realistic.

I know teams don't often trade within their own division, but if Charlotte and Atlanta could get together on a deal, I think this would benefit each other greatly.

Atlanta trades Josh Childress, Tyronne Lue, and the #3 pick to Charlotte for Okafor and the #8 pick.

All players involved are in the final years of their deals and Charlotte may rather spend that money on a player with less of an injury risk. They've also got some good young talent at the PF/C position and the #3 pick would shore up an opportunity for them to acquire another one. This would give them even more room to re-sign Gerald Wallace and land another FA. Barring any free agent signees, here's what both teams could do with their picks and how their teams would be constructed.

Atlanta drafts Mike Conley Jr with the #8 pick

Atlanta drafts Al Thornton with the #11 pick

Charlotte drafts Yi Jianlian with the #3 pick. They might prefer Al Horford so either works.

Charlotte drafts Almond or Affolo with the #22 pick

Conley/Speedy/AJ

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Thornton

Smoove/Shelden/Jones

Okafor/ZaZa/Lo

Felton/Knight/Lue

Wallace/Almond or Affolo

Childress/Morrison

May/Horford or Yi/Harrington/Herrman

Brezec/Voskuhl/Hollins

Remember, Charlotte would still have serious cap room to make a play for a major Free agent and alot of tradeable pieces should they want to swing another deal.

Let me know what you think and let's see your ideas. Remember, only one deal moving down in the draft though. That's the rule.

Yeah, #11 could be used for alot of different players. I chose Thornton because I'm a Seminole fan and I've watched him play the past few seasons. He's a BK type of player. Good size. Can play multiple positions and is one of the most NBA ready scorers in the draft. I've seen a few places say he could be one of the top season one contributors in this draft. Not to say he's got the most upside, but he could turn out to be a Antawn Jamison type player. SF size, but can play PF and still not embarrass you.

Good analysis. Although there a lot of options (and talent) out there in this draft I think we have to always remember that BK is not going to touch the 2-3-4 starters he already has. JJ-Marvin-JS are pretty much written in stone as starters next year. Therefore, since we realistically need starter level talent with the 3rd pick (whether with that pick or via trade)...it's gonna be for a PG or a Center.

I realize this is pretty much re-stating the obvious, but I can't see how BK would be comfortable in drafting a college PF and hoping he can play center. It's do or die time for the BK/Woody team. Since most "experts" are now thinking that Conley probably isn't worthy of the 3-pick, either the trade down or trade the pick for veteran help are the only two realistic options I can see in this draft. If BK can wheel and deal a bit (and ASG and Belkin will let him do it) I think we can start next year as a greatly improved team.

BK isn't dumb (when it comes down to his paycheck)...I can't see him gambling on the likes of a Yi-3/Critt-11 draft. It might be the best thing to do for the team longterm, but I doubt BK would be around long enough to see the results come to fruition. BK has to get JJ some veteran help now (IMO).

I have been saying this all week. Billy and Woody know their jobs are on the line. If Belkin wins the team, they're as good as gone either way so why not go out in a blaze of glory? I feel the pick(s) will be dealt before it's all said and done because there really is no one at #3 that helps this team RIGHT NOW. Horford might, but he's a ripped up, cut up, slightly improved version of Shelden I think. That's not a big enough of an upgrade to take him at #3 IMO. I honestly think before it's all said and done, Gasol will be a Hawk because he fits the bill of a player that can take this team to the next level and possibly save BK and Woody's jobs. Who in their right mind hires BK as their GM if he fails again this year? He's the joke of the NBA as GM's go. Woody could probably get an assistant job, but I don't see him as an immediate candidate for a head coaching job if he gets fired here. They know what's at stake and I see them doing everything in their power to prevent that from happening.

Quote:

I doubt Charlotte does that deal for the simple fact that Okafor is > 3rd pick and 8th pick is > Childress. Plus that would leave Charlotte with one of the worst defensive frontcourts this side of Atlanta.

True Okafor is better than the 3rd pick, but remember, he's in a contract year as is Gerald Wallace and alot of their young talent will be coming up for renewal very soon. It comes down to who do they really want to keep. He's injury prone so they might not want to spend all that money on him, but they could also make a move for another player with the money they've got to spend now as well. Like I said, just a thought.