• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Good GM's

atlien110

from purely a draft perspective which gm's have the best track record of making quality picks while avoiding major busts?

overrated gm's in the draft:

jerry west - this is probably the easiest one. he's made some of the most god awful picks with the grizz.

joe dumars - this one is tough because detroit either always has a late 1st rounder or no first rounders. but the darko pick was one of the worst in nba history. (because of the talent in that draft!)

kevin mchale - mcants, ndudi ebi and of course having to forfeit picks due to his stupidity....

remember this doesnt' have to do with trades, free agent acquisitions, just their ability based on draft picks.

well honestly BK has been very good making solid picks of players who did not turn out to be busts...his mistake is not being able to manuever in the draft to get to a spot where he can draft a player of need without it being a stretch..

talent evaluation is good but drafting positions of need is not.

• Moderators

Colangelo has to be near the top of anyone's list for good GMs in terms of drafting.

Isiah Thomas would do surprisingly well with Mighty Mouse, McGrady, Lee and others on his list.

Spurs GM who took Parker, Ginobili, etc. would have to be up there for getting huge bang from low level picks (I can't remember who that was - was it Buford?).

• Moderators

Quote:

Id proboaly have to say chicagos GM. Im not sure if they have had the same one over the years but obviously they built the MJ dynasty and then taking the worst team in the NBA to an eastern conference power.

He has been very solid in the draft with Gordon and Hinrich but I do think the Thomas pick was a mistake. They should have held onto Aldridge, IMO, who would have done much more to address their issues with interior scoring.

I wonder why Chicago doesn't get criticized for passing on Brandon Roy? They clearly had a need at the shooting guard position. Their lack of a true shooting guard forces them to play a small back court with Hinrich and Gordon. Brandon Roy was a perfect fit for them. They take Tyrus Thomas though, who does not and will never fill their need for an offensive presence in the paint. Somehow, they don't get criticized for it. I guess the only team that can be criticized for passing on Brandon Roy is Atlanta, even though Roy would have played at best 15 minutes per game in Atlanta because of the presence of Joe Johnson. Go figure. Of course, if Billy Knight had drafted Ben Gordon when he already had Kirk Hinrich, he would have been criticized for that move.

Really? The same Charlotte Bobcats that drafted Adam Morrison in the first round when they already had Gerald Wallace and needed a shooting guard? Apparently, they are immune from passing on Brandon Roy as well, even though they took a one dimensional player who was the worst defender and rebounder of all the rookies in the NBA this past season.

Quote:

Id proboaly have to say chicagos GM. Im not sure if they have had the same one over the years but obviously they built the MJ dynasty and then taking the worst team in the NBA to an eastern conference power.

Jerry Krause built the Jordan dynasty and is also responsible for tearing it down.

When Krause's picks of Chandler and Curry didn't pan out immediatly (they were both highschoolers), John Paxon was brought in to give instant results and delivered.

Funny it was Krause who brought Paxon in to be Jordan's 1st PG to help win a championship (before Ron Harper). Then Paxon replaces his old boss Krause.

Curry and Chandler were not bad prospects but one team has no business taking 2 high schoolers in the top 6 of the draft.

NBA = NO BABIES ALLOWED

Hope the Hawks take note of that !

the Spurs GM is Awsome !

Tony Parker in the late 20's

Ginobli in the 2nd round

I don't know if the same GM took Duncan but Duncan and Robinson at #1 were no brainers.

The Spurs never havea pick high enough to be considered a bust but are very efficient with the pick they have. They got a great European scout !

Quote:

the Spurs GM is Awsome !

Tony Parker in the late 20's

Ginobli in the 2nd round

I don't know if the same GM took Duncan but Duncan and Robinson at #1 were no brainers.

The Spurs never havea pick high enough to be considered a bust but are very efficient with the pick they have. They got a great European scout !

don't forget barbosa who they traded away.

Quote:

I wonder why Chicago doesn't get criticized for passing on Brandon Roy? They clearly had a need at the shooting guard position. Their lack of a true shooting guard forces them to play a small back court with Hinrich and Gordon. Brandon Roy was a perfect fit for them. They take Tyrus Thomas though, who does not and will never fill their need for an offensive presence in the paint. Somehow, they don't get criticized for it. I guess the only team that can be criticized for passing on Brandon Roy is Atlanta, even though Roy would have played at best 15 minutes per game in Atlanta because of the presence of Joe Johnson. Go figure. Of course, if Billy Knight had drafted Ben Gordon when he already had Kirk Hinrich, he would have been criticized for that move.

Don't be an idiot. It is alot harder to criticize a team when they are actually good. The Hawks suck so there is a reason BK is criticized. Plus, they did draft a big shooting guard in that same draft (i.e., Sefolosha).

BK can draft whomever he wants if it leads to the Hawks winning, but until that happens then he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:

Really? The same Charlotte Bobcats that drafted Adam Morrison in the first round when they already had Gerald Wallace and needed a shooting guard? Apparently, they are immune from passing on Brandon Roy as well, even though they took a one dimensional player who was the worst defender and rebounder of all the rookies in the NBA this past season.

That was a really bad move. They would be really good with Roy instead of Morrison.

Of course, BK took Sheldon when he already had Smoove at power forward. Go figure.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Weren't you the one claiming that Roy could play along with JJ since they were both playmaking SGs? You wanted Roy as much as anyone. Quit contradicting yourself, Walter owned you in that other thread.

If the Hawks were making the playoffs with the guys he drafted being the focal reasons why, we wouldn't have any basis to criticize him. But we have this resume instead which gives us plenty of ammo to work with:

No all-star selected from the draft since 1984 (the longest drought in North American pro sports)

No playoffs in 8 years (longest in NBA)

Most consecutive 50-loss seasons in the NBA (4)

I'll bet hard $$$ that folks in San Antonio, Phoenix, and Dallas don't criticize their GMs nearly as much as we do here because they actually WIN. Just like folks here aren't as quick to jump on John Schuerholtz as they do Rich McKay (one has won before while the other hasn't as much). They might critique about not getting the brass ring but not with the bane and disgust we do because their teams actually get to play in games that MATTER, not pile up stats while playing out the string in April.

I agree with you DJlaysitup, Bikerstaff has done a really good job. His first pick okafor will be great if he can stay healthy. Also felton and may next year will be dynamite if may can stay healthy as well. Morrison has received a lot of criticism, but if he can accept to be a role player instead of the star he will be great.

and KB21 morrison was not that bad of a pick. they needed a SG and they drafted one. Roy had a better rookie season but I still see AMMO being great in a few years.