• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The top 10 ... stars/busts ... anaylsis 02-06

Admin

Quote:

Really, it's not that difficult of a concept to grasp

Then i guess you are the only other sports fan who grasps it because i have never seen anyone else with this type of outlook.

Or maybe you are the one who doesn't get it.

Today I would call BK's choice a failure for passing Roy up. Partly because at this point SW isn't a success and partly because Roy is. However, if SW goes on to become a star player (which is very possible) then it won't matter what happens with Roy, SW would still be a successful pick.

Also, if Roy permanently injures his foot tonight and drastically falls off from where he stands today then tomorrow I would call BK's choice a success.

• Moderators

Quote:

Dolfan, if you are grading a GM based on his picks you cannot include injuries. Those are things out of anyone's control.

A guy that gets hurt is just bad luck. If we take Yi and he gets hurt it doesn't mean he was a bad pick.

I need to point out that everyone blasts Portland for taking "bust" Sam Bowie when his career was undermined by injuries and nobody wants to excuse that pick. I agree with the idea in principal but the bottomline is that guys who go down with injuries go down as wasted picks in the bottomline.

How about a real world comparison then?

You have 2 candidates for a job. Both appear to be very good candidates. 1 of them seems to have more potential for greatness than the other one does though and you hire him. The other guy was hired by a competitor and goes on to have a very solid career with them. A month later your guy gets busted for a DUI and you have to let him go because of company policy.

So, was the guy you hired a success? Was your choice of him a success? Could you predict that he would get a DUI? Would he have been a success had it not been for the DUI? None of that matters because the bottom line is that he failed and you failed for hiring him.

Wasted because of injuries is not a reflection of a good GM. A good GM's job in the draft is to take the best player possible under the team's circumstances. If a player gets hurt he didn't do a bad job, fate had other plans.

Are we talking about wasted picks or are we talking about grading GM's on their talent selection?

If Oden rips all 3 knee ligamnets like Shaun Livingston are you telling me Pritchard is a lousy GM because he wasted his pick? Please tell me your joking.

Quote:

Quote:

Dolfan, if you are grading a GM based on his picks you cannot include injuries. Those are things out of anyone's control.

A guy that gets hurt is just bad luck. If we take Yi and he gets hurt it doesn't mean he was a bad pick.

I need to point out that everyone blasts Portland for taking "bust" Sam Bowie when his career was undermined by injuries and nobody wants to excuse that pick. I agree with the idea in principal but the bottomline is that guys who go down with injuries go down as wasted picks in the bottomline.

Bowie was seen as a bust because he was drafted before Jordan. if Jordan wasn't in that draft people wouldn't see Bowie as a bust at all.

• Moderators

Quote:

Wasted because of injuries is not a reflection of a good GM. A good GM's job in the draft is to take the best player possible under the team's circumstances. If a player gets hurt he didn't do a bad job, fate had other plans.

Are we talking about wasted picks or are we talking about grading GM's on their talent selection?

If Oden rips all 3 knee ligamnets like Shaun Livingston are you telling me Pritchard is a lousy GM because he wasted his pick? Please tell me your joking.

I get where you are coming from - I am playing devil's advocate on this one.

However, NBA writers routinely bash Bowie as one of the greatest busts in NBA history.

Here are a couple of articles mentioning him in this context from a very cursory search:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8246385

http://www.nbadraft.net/reeddraftanalysis001.asp

Here is a Hollinger article from SI claiming Bowie is the second worst pick in NBA history:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal...21/draft_busts/

Just saying that the common discussion of picks doesn't necessarily excuse injury selections.

It may not excuse picks that turn out injured like Bowie or Jason Williams but I could never hold a GM resonsible for a draft pick like Shaun Livingston that gets a severe injury.

It may be a bad pick because it didn't work out but you don't blame a GM if a guy gets a serious injury. Or, like Bias, dies. Nobody in their right mind would say that Red Auerbach made a bad choice taking Bias because every other GM would have taken him.

Dolfan is calling guys busts who got hurt, like Livingston. A bust is someone who played and stunk up the joint. Or, a guy so bad he couldn't even get on the court like Araujo.