• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Grizz are trying to work us over

gsuteke

I think they are trying to scare Billy Knight into one of two scenarios

1. saying "screw it" and just taking Conley at 3.

2. passing on a trade with the Bucks who will draft Horford 3rd.

I think it is fairly obvious that the Grizz have every intention of picking Horford in this draft and are not looking to move Gasol either.

This is assuming Billy Knight has the common sense to not pick another Forward this year which isn't a given.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grizzlie...ley-070614.html

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grizzlie...ord_070615.html

Quote:

The problem for Memphis is that Atlanta can get a PG with the 11th pick.

they may both be fruit but that is where the similiarities end. we keep arguing semantics on this board but the bottom line is Conley is the prototype PG, while Law is a combo guard and Critt is a project.

I really want us to get Gasol, but think about it like this. What if Memphis has no intention of trading him and just building around him? I mean, all the reports I've read said "if they couldn't build a competitive team" then he wanted to be traded. What's to say a team of Gasol, Horford, Warrick, Gay, Miller and a few others wouldn't be good? The Grizz got off to a horrible start with Gasol out of the lineup and never really got it going. I don't know what kind of money they've got to work with, but they might move someone like Miller or not, but they've got some good talent to help build a team on as well. Just some thoughts. I agree they might be trying to convince us into taking Conley or Yi and leaving Horford for them. I wonder why they wouldn't want Yi themselves? Could you imagine two versatile 7 footers on the same team? Maybe they do want him and are trying to drive the value of Horford up?

Quote:

Quote:

they may both be fruit but that is where the similiarities end. we keep arguing semantics on this board but the bottom line is Conley is the prototype PG, while Law is a combo guard and Critt is a project.

Law played PG his whole college career. How is he a combo guard? Are you agenda driven? I wonder, if I can find an old post of yours where you claimed Roy/Foye could have been our PG.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You're ignoring the fact that several young PG's would be in the discussion in a trade of the #11 pick.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Law played PG his whole college career. How is he a combo guard? Are you agenda driven? I wonder, if I can find an old post of yours where you claimed Roy/Foye could have been our PG.

I said you can't take Roy because he's not a PG. his skillset is redundant when you have Joe on the same team.

the only agenda I have is wanting to see the Hawks win basketball games.

P.S. Roy is a perfect example of a player's stats not translating from one team to another.

Quote:

You got that right. The give away was when they said "He(Conley) can shoot". They are hyping up Conley. If I was Chad Ford, I'd try to make some money out of this.

You guys are WAYYYYY off on this one...they just hired the Suns assistant coach so they're looking for a smart Steve Nash-like point guard to run his intricate offense. They REALLY want Conley...they're trying to hype of Al Horford by telling everyone that he's a "lock" for 4 to overvalue Horford and undervalue Conley. That way BK will do what he does every year and take the most "NBA ready" forword over the best pg in the draft.

Quote:

Quote:

You're ignoring the fact that several young PG's would be in the discussion in a trade of the #11 pick.

i'm all for moving either pick to land us a comparable C or PG in return assuming the value is equal.

heck, that's about all we can hope for at #3.

Quote:

Quote:

You got that right. The give away was when they said "He(Conley) can shoot". They are hyping up Conley. If I was Chad Ford, I'd try to make some money out of this.

You guys are WAYYYYY off on this one...they just hired the Suns assistant coach so they're looking for a smart Steve Nash-like point guard to run his intricate offense. They REALLY want Conley...they're trying to hype of Al Horford by telling everyone that he's a "lock" for 4 to overvalue Horford and undervalue Conley. That way BK will do what he does every year and take the most "NBA ready" forword over the best pg in the draft.

They don't need to hype Horford. The entire NBA is doing that. Horford is at #3 according to most people now. There isn't one thing they said about Horford that is exaggerated. On the other hand Conley has fallen all the way to #11 in some mock drafts. They lied by saying he is a good shooter. That's the give away.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I hope you are wrong because my best case scenario is trading down a few spots, picking up an additional asset to trade in the future, and drafting Conley a little lower.

Even if Conley is gone, you've still likely got Wright, Noah, etc. still available, plus you've acquired something of value in the trade down.

Memphis would be stupid to pass on a young big like Wright or Yi just to take Conley at #4. It's the same problem with the Hawks taking him over the "big 3."

Quote:

They don't need to hype Horford. The entire NBA is doing that. Horford is at #3 according to most people now. There isn't one thing they said about Horford that is exaggerated. On the other hand Conley has fallen all the way to #11 in some mock drafts. They lied by saying he is a good shooter. That's the give away.

There's alot that's being exaggerated about Horford...I read somewhere that Horford was being compared to Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer and I almost fell out of my seat from laughter...I've seen Horford play for two years...he's a solid player, but he's definitely not worth a 3 (there were times when he might have been the second or third best on his team), and he's definitely not a huge upgrade over SWilliams who we got at 5. SWilliams was a better rebounder, defender, and a better low post scorer. Horford is more athletic with a better mid range. Horford will make a good role player, but please he's nowhere near as dominant as Elton Brand.

Quote:

Quote:

There's alot that's being exaggerated about Horford...I read somewhere that Horford was being compared to Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer and I almost fell out of my seat from laughter...I've seen Horford play for two years...he's a solid player, but he's definitely not worth a 3 (there were times when he might have been the second or third best on his team), and he's definitely not a huge upgrade over SWilliams who we got at 5. SWilliams was a better rebounder, defender, and a better low post scorer. Horford is more athletic with a better mid range. Horford will make a good role player, but please he's nowhere near as dominant as Elton Brand.

I think it'll all come down to "heart". That is why I also think Shelden will pan out at the end.

Quote:

I hope you are wrong because my best case scenario is trading down a few spots, picking up an additional asset to trade in the future, and drafting Conley a little lower.

I PROMISE you...Conley is gone by 4...they alrady have Gasol, Gay, and Warrick, why would they want Yi or Wright...same situation as 2005...we draft Marvin Williams at 2 claiming that 2 is too high for a pg...then Utah, New Orleans, and Charolotte all pick pgs at 3,4,5 and we look like fools...same thing will happen this year.

if I'm BK, I say I'm taking my ball and going home. we are totally in the drivers seat and nothing can stop that in real life. our point guard is at #11 and that's that..memphis if you want to deal gasol, you have to come to terms a bit more on our side....unless you think you can do it better somewhere else...

and if we dn't do the deal, we draft Yi or Horford and we're good.

Quote:

Quote:

I PROMISE you...Conley is gone by 4...they alrady have Gasol, Gay, and Warrick, why would they want Yi or Wright...same situation as 2005...we draft Marvin Williams at 2 claiming that 2 is too high for a pg...then Utah, New Orleans, and Charolotte all pick pgs at 3,4,5 and we look like fools...same thing will happen this year.

that is my fear. either I'm crazy or half the board just doesn't get it. just due to the nature of the position a PG or C will go higher than a swing player.

Quote:

Quote:

I PROMISE you...Conley is gone by 4...

Did God tell you that? No NBA GM or sports writer can promise anything beyond #2. May be you can use your insider connection to make some money. uglyhammer.gif