11th Pick

Marvin Williams

To Hawks:

12th Pick

21st pick

Andre Miller

Rodney Carney

610 WIP Radio in Philadelphia

I can't believe there are Hawks fans who would not like this deal. This is a no brainer for the Hawks. Unfortunately, Philly would laugh at such a proposal.

For next season I love this deal. With Miller aboard we could draft Horford, replace Marvin with Carney, and still draft the best available player at 12. That would give us a very competitive team.

The only question is how good will Marvin become in the future, how long will Miller remain a quality player, and how good will Carney become. You're essentially trading a former number 2 pick for Andre Miller and Carney.

I like Carney's athleticism a lot but his skill level is a little below average. If he could develop, though, he could be pretty good. Miller would help this team for the next two or three years, but not much longer than that.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

unless we all think Marvin is going to be a star.

I think Knight most certainly thinks that, which is why this sounds bogus.

I would be shocked if we traded Marvin. It would have to be for someone better than Miller. I like Andre Miller, always have, but he's starting to get old. I'd rather draft Critt or Law or Conley.

I may be the biggest Marvin Williams fan on this board that isn't called thesheedera, and I even like this trade. First, it gets the Hawks a veteran point guard that is a very good defender. Andre Miller would drastically improve the flow of our offense as well as our perimeter defense.

Second, this trade opens up a starting spot and a bigger role for Josh Childress, who at this point is a much better player than Marvin Williams is.

Rodney Carney is a guy that can come in and fill the role that Josh Childress has played coming off the bench.

With the 12th pick, we will still likely have our choice of young point guards to take. In fact, if we can get Andre Miller, then taking Javaris Crittenton at that spot is a near no brainer. This would be a situation where the Hawks should draft Crittenton based on his potential. He can sit behind Andre Miller for a few years before taking over.

With the 27th pick, the Hawks could take a flier on one of the European big men, I guess. Tiago Splitter is an option, even with his questionable contract status. An intersting option at that point would be Marc Gasol. Could Pau and Marc be paird up in Atlanta?

I think the key to this trade isn't just comparing Marvin's ability to Miller/Carney. You have to look much deeper. This trade could potentially facilitate the opportunity for Childress to get his chance at starting, it could ultimately net us a better long term PG (Crittendon) over the short term fix (Law) as well as a true game changing PG to show him the ropes. We would also have a later pick to use on a potential project like Tiago Splitter or someone more short term like Aaron Gray. We'd also still have our #3 pick to use on Horford or Yi. Personally, I'd rather use it on Yi considering the options later in the draft. I still highly doubt Philly's interest in this deal. Personally, I think they're giving up alot on the hopes we wouldn't be able to take Acie Law @ #11.

Man...I didn't really notice that we'd get the 12th AND the 21st pick. In this draft we could probably come up with two decent players at those spots...maybe Critt or Law at 12 and Josh McRoberts, Jason Smith, Sean Williams, Tiago Splitter, or Nick Young at 21. And like someone said earlier, Critt wouldn't have the pressure of coming in and starting for us righ away. And of course a combination of Chill, Smoove, Carney, and Horford could fill Marvin's spot with ease.

I think after looking at this closer, Philly is giving up a lot here. And no one on the Philly board on RealGM has heard about this and they all think it's stupid and none of them think that this radio station is credible even if they did report this rumor. So I don't think it has a lot of chance of happening.

Quote:

I may be the biggest Marvin Williams fan on this board that isn't called thesheedera, and I even like this trade. First, it gets the Hawks a veteran point guard that is a very good defender. Andre Miller would drastically improve the flow of our offense as well as our perimeter defense.

Second, this trade opens up a starting spot and a bigger role for Josh Childress, who at this point is a much better player than Marvin Williams is.

Rodney Carney is a guy that can come in and fill the role that Josh Childress has played coming off the bench.

With the 12th pick, we will still likely have our choice of young point guards to take. In fact, if we can get Andre Miller, then taking Javaris Crittenton at that spot is a near no brainer. This would be a situation where the Hawks should draft Crittenton based on his potential. He can sit behind Andre Miller for a few years before taking over.

With the 27th pick, the Hawks could take a flier on one of the European big men, I guess. Tiago Splitter is an option, even with his questionable contract status. An intersting option at that point would be Marc Gasol. Could Pau and Marc be paird up in Atlanta?

Yi's shooting could make the loss of Marvin, well, bearable.

They wouldn't take Chillz instead of Marvin.

Critt could fall all the way to #21.

The drop off from #11 to #12 isn't much. They know we are looking at a point guard for #11. Unless they want our PG at that spot, they have no reason to trade up 1 spot.

Nevermind I see yopu said it was Gargano. He usually has good Eagle sources and decnt Sixer sources. Its possible although cap wise the Sixers would prolly have to take Speedy to make it work.

Quote:

The drop off from #11 to #12 isn't much. They know we are looking at a point guard for #11. Unless they want our PG at that spot, they have no reason to trade up 1 spot.

That's what it sounds like to me. That they are thinking we would get Conley or Law there and they want them.